[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Bruce Broughton's THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Bruce Broughton's THE RESCUERS DOWN UN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:02 am 

Aha, that makes (a little bit) sense. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:57 am 

People (not particulary familiar with the art form of film music) usually think a soundtrack album should be on the service of a movie. Instead it's on the service of the composer to represent in the best way his original artistic intentions, and not the producers and director's intentions. I'm sure Mike Gabriel would completely agree with that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:49 am 

Here's my view on most album presentations, which is probably just a sidebar to this topic. I admit that, personally, I am not very supportive of the audience that wants (or demands) soundtrack albums be exact replications of the film's audio itself, right down to the sequence and editing. That to me is sometimes just cretinous. To do this means the cues would be dialed in and out, re-arranged in places not originally intended, chopped, diced and otherwise assembled for the changing needs of the film during post-production. Sometimes the composers are not even involved at this point. The music functions, of course, as it should in the film and we can all enjoy hearing it that way on DVDs and Blu-rays and whatnot. BUT on soundtrack albums, I myself want to enjoy the music - no longer in the background but in the foreground - functioning as a musical listening experience the way the composer envisioned it, in a presentation now servicing not the film but the album. It's already played in the film. Let's now hear it on its own. It's no secret that people who only want archival souvenirs of the film are not my all-time favorite people.

In the case of this score, the cues not heard in the film were cut and/or dialed out of their respective sequences after the scoring sessions had been concluded. Though originally intended to be in the film, they were simply dropped during final editing. So I wanted to put them back where Bruce designed them to be. (And he did, too). The "extras" in this case were actually earlier takes that no longer serviced the needs of the film because revised versions of the same cues were written and recorded, and those versions now appear in the film and on the CD as they were intended. While these earlier takes no longer comfortably fit into our album's main musical program per se, they were still cool enough on their own to be included at the end as extras. End of my soundtrack soapbox. :D
--Doug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:28 pm 

I've just received my CD and it's simply stunning from beginning to end ! Gorgeous flip cover, glorious sound, perfect album presentation. This CD is truly something special to listen to. We can now understand more deeply than ever that this score is probably the most significant in Bruce Broughton's career, sort of an achievement.

I was a small child when I discovered this movie and it's rousing musical score in the theaters back in the 90's. Of course it's Marahute's flight that stood forever in my mind. Bruce Broughton's music for that particular sequence was just pure gold, and pure movie music magic. It has become a cult moment in film music's history and I often say it is probably the most moving, soaring, sensible musical moment in a Disney movie ever.

What particularily made me curious, is how the bonus tracks are significantly different from the final film versions. How come the main theme in Message Montage is so different from the final main theme and the same goes for the love theme in the Restaurant Scene. I didn't find any answer to that in the liner notes. Did Bruce took a completely different thematic approach throughout the rewriting process ? Do theses cues were recorded way before the actual final sessions ? I'm really curious !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:06 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:08 am 

That's really awesome Doug ! Thanks for explaining.
It really was a blast when I heard those cues I had listened to times and times again for 25 years, but now sounding completely different but yet similar. It was a fantastic experience that I can only compare with the discovery of the alternate score on the limited Back to the Future double CD set. It's like discovering the de Vinci rough copy of La Joconde, thanks to Bruce for letting you include this as bonus tracks, it's really a gift for the fans we are.
I'm preparing a review of this CD for a Disney specialized website, I will certainly include this anecdote to my paper. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:33 pm 

I have been listening to this CD as many as almost ten times since I purchased it during the big sale. As soon as I popped the CD in, nostalgia instantly hit me and I was transported back to when I first saw the movie. I remembered every scene per cue as they played (minus the cues "Eggs" and "Wilbur the Mom"). The scene with Marahute flying and where Cody jumps from the waterfall and she catches him still gave me goosebumps, exactly like the first time I watched that scene when I was a mere four-years old. I think I can honestly say that this is now my personal favorite score EVER by Mr. Broughton.

Intrada, Doug, Bruce, and everyone involved in the making of this CD, thank you all so very much!! This was indeed one of my holy grails that I've been wanting to see released in full one day, and you guys delivered in spades! ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:05 pm 

You can now read my review (only for french speaking fellows, sorry) for the gorgeous release of Rescuers Down Under. Of course, it deserves 4 stars out of 4 !

http://www.chroniquedisney.fr/musique/2 ... -under.htm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2