[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Danny Elfman's DICK TRACY

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Danny Elfman's DICK TRACY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:01 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

DICK TRACY
Composed by DANNY ELFMAN
INTRADA Special Collection 363

For the 1990 Walt Disney feature Dick Tracy, composer Danny Elfman brought forth his rambunctious, bristling action music style, yet treating Dick Tracy with more romanticism —all while leaving room for numerous musical numbers and montages set to Stephen Sondheim songs (songs sold separately). In contrast to the brooding, looming Gothic theme for the prior year's Batman, Elfman wrote a no-nonsense, bustling march for Dick Tracy, bereft of sentimentality, which Elfman describes as a “crimestopper” melody that bursts forth in halting statements in the film’s main title and accompanies Tracy’s action throughout the film. The score features a surging, romantic theme for Tracy’s love, as well as nods to George Gershwin.

For his original 1990 soundtrack album, Elfman assembled 35 minutes of highlights, offering a carefully edited, musically rewarding experience. The fragmentary nature of the many short cues and the rapid pace at which they play under their respective scenes made the above presentation both practical and exciting. For this new 2-CD release, Intrada presents his original 1990 album intact as the first part of our program. To get a closer look into Danny Elfman’s music for Dick Tracy, Intrada was provided access to the complete original scoring session elements, recorded onto Mitsubishi 880 format 32-track digital tape, preserved in the Disney vaults in pristine condition. We commissioned Dennis Sands, the veteran engineer who helmed those original scoring sessions, to completely remix the entire score, allowing us the opportunity to add more than an hour of previously unreleased music, including unedited versions of the 1990 album selections plus a wealth of additional film cues, alternates and revisions, all appearing in crisp, state-of-the- art sound.

INTRADA Special Collection 363
Barcode: 7 20258 53632 7
Retail Price: $29.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10632/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Danny Elfman's DICK TRACY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:52 pm 

Well this is a nice surprise -- it looks like the album is pretty heavily edited from the actual score, meaning there's actually very little redundancy. Me likey.

I think this is first time in quite a long while that both releases from Intrada are a must buy for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 am 

"When do we eat ?" :mrgreen:
Count me in, I'm a big fan of the movie and the score !

But I'm curious to know why did you prefer to split the remixed complete score in two parts, when it would fit on a 68 min album ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:42 am 

Great to see more Elfman from Intrada.
Will be adding this along with The Blue Lagoon very soon.
Thank you once again team Intrada.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:36 am 

Fantastic release.

I just have one question. Does the booklet feature information as to how to put together a complete playlist with appropriate takes?

Karol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:02 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 am 

Purchased both DICK TRACY and THE BLUE LAGOON - thanks Intrada!

Do we know if the trailer music was comprised of alternates and unused material, or if someone other than Elfman composed it? It doesn't appear to be on the CD. Trailer link is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4rzqSsqaqA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:32 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:16 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:07 pm 

Well the film mixes of the songs are different than the album mixes, so absoLUTEly should have been included!

But, those film mixes of the songs could certainly have been moved to disc 2 after the OST presentation, therefore allowing Horner's complete glorious score to entirely fit on one disc. Oh well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:45 pm 

Ok this is a really small thing but I like crediting correctly where possible -- "Peach Juice II (Alternate)" is credited as co-composed with Walker, but is it JUST that cue? Or every "Peach Juice II" (I assume, given they are all similar)? Or Even "Peach Juice" as well?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:46 am 

I wasn't satisfied with Intrada's presentation (this is very rare, but it can happen), so I've made my own re-sequencing of the music that fits on only 1 disc (79 min).
The first part is a presentation of the score in chronological order. I tried to present the score being equally faithful to the film (all tracks are film versions) and Danny Elfman's vision. I included the 2 rejected montage sequences from the original album (Kid Montage and Crime Spree Montage) that have been replaced by songs in the movie, and 2 short rejected cues from the sessions.
The second part is made of all the alternate cues in chronological order.
I renamed some few tracks for a better comprehension of my new tracklisting.
I excluded the original album presentation but I used most of those tracks when they were actual film edits.
So it goes like this...

THE ORIGINAL FILM SCORE

01. Main Title (1:27)
02. Flattop's Entrance (0:33)
03. Tracy's Entrance (0:31)
04. Lips Gets Nailed (0:38)
05. And They're Off (1:45)
06. Meet Big Boy (0:32)
07. Lips Needs a Bath (0:28)
08. Lips Gets a Bath (0:54)
09. Walnuts (0:39)
10. Breathless Comes On (1:09)
11. Crime Lab (0:14)
12. Kid Montage* (1:40)
13. Love One (1:16)
14. Breathless Again (2:56)
15. Tracy Spies (0:24)
16. Spaldoni Go Boom (1:14)
17. Tracy Gets Nabbed (0:37)
18. Boiler Go Boom (2:27)
19. Badge* (0:21)
20. Slimy D.A. (1:43)
21. Peach Juice* (0:25)
22. Meet the Blank (2:02)
23. Tess Farewell (1:07)
24. Bug Rescued (1:40)
25. At the Dock (1:20)
26. Blank Gets the Goods (1:48)
27. Tess Nabbed (0:20)
28. Bait (0:54)
29. Gasser (0:57)
30. Fletcher Shot/Framed (1:34)
31. News Montage (0:16)
32. Crime Spree Montage* (1:54)
33. Jail Cell (0:43)
34. Kid/Tracy Hits the Street (0:41)
35. Chief Gets a Call (0:29)
36. Mine Enemy (0:56)
37. Tracy Finds Tess (1:54)
38. Rescue Part I (0:21)
39. Rescue Part II (0:14)
40. Rescue Part III (0:14)
41. Rescue part IV/Rescue Part V (0:55)
42. Blast Out (0:23)
43. The Chase (2:57)
44. Mano a Mano (0:47)
45. Showdown/Reunited (4:07)
46. Finale (0:58)

ALTERNATIVE SCORE TRACKS*

47. Main Title #2 Part I (1:08)
48. Main Title #2 Part II (2:25)
49. Crime Lab #2 (0:23)
50. Lips Needs a Bath #2 (0:28)
51. Badge #2 (0:21)
52. Badge #3 (0:21)
53. Peach Juice #2 (0:56)
54. Peach Juice #3 (0:38)
55. Peach Juice #4 (0:38)
56. Meet the Blank #2 (2:02)
57. Bug Rescued #2 (1:41)
58. Tess Nabbed #2 (0:13)
59. Tracy Finds Tess #1 (0:46)
60. Tracy Finds Tess #2 (2:04)
61. Tracy to the Rescue (2:57)
62. Revealed (1:33)
63. Revealed #2/Reunited #2 (2:31)
64. Revealed #3/Reunited #3 (2:29)
65. Finale #2 (0:58)
66. Finale #3 (1:08)
67. Breathless I (0:58)
68. Breathless II (0:51)

* rejected

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 am 
This is one expansion that I could not get myself to buy. Elfman got it right decades ago, making some sense of an otherwise unavoidably disjointed mess.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]