[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Maurice Jarre's THE SETTING SUN

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Maurice Jarre's THE SETTING SUN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:59 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE SETTING SUN
Composed and Conducted by MAURICE JARRE
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 341

Composer Maurice Jarre was no stranger to the Far East by the time he scored The Setting Sun in 1992. He had traveled musically back in time to feudal Japan for the ten-hour miniseries of James Clavell’s bestseller Shogun in 1980. A few years later, he underscored the warring factions of the nineteenth-century Hong Kong opium trade in a feature film adaptation of Clavell’s Tai-Pan (1986).

Maurice Jarre scored The Setting Sun as an epic musical tapestry depicting events leading into WWII and Japan’s pending invasion of Manchuria. He wrote a large-scale, lavishly percussive and florid orchestral work, featuring both grand and tender themes. The orchestration included additional winds and brass, harps, pianos and other keyboards, a synthesizer and other electronics such as the EWI and EVI (Electronic Wind Instrument and Electronic Valve Instrument), played by Judd Miller and Nyle Steiner, the inventor of the instruments. The massive forces of the percussion ensemble included seven percussionists covering orchestral timpani, two large bass drums and a range of double-sided Japanese drums—two taiko, one odaiko, and a da-daiko— which often played in unison.

Jarre scored The Setting Sun with his customary musical continuity, allowing Intrada to construct the album by fashioning the shorter cues into lengthy, cohesive set-pieces that followed the overall picture narrative while playing as musically complete “movements” unto themselves, just as Jarre would have done. The score was recorded at Royce Hall on the University of Southern California campus and subsequently mixed by Shawn Murphy at Sony Pictures Studios. The digital masters survived in pristine condition.

First-time director Rou Tomono wrote the script for The Setting Sun based on his novel Rakuyô (the Japanese title of the film) about a Japanese soldier (Katô Masaya) who helps financially support his country’s military invasion of Manchuria and falls in love with the leader of a Chinese rebel force (Diane Lane). When they are drawn deep into the illegal opium trade to finance Japan’s imperialist mission, he collides with the ruthless leader of the Chinese mafia (Yuen Biao).

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 341
Retail Price: $19.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit:
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9971/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Maurice Jarre's THE SETTING SUN
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:10 pm 

Yes yes yes thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

-Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:35 pm 

...and I love that this is structured like classic Jarre albums I grew up with in the 80's/90's. Going to be a teary listen when this lands, I can say that much.
I'm a big softie and miss all these departed heroes of mine, too numerous to name. ....

-Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:11 pm 

Very cool. An epic exotic Jarre score I honestly had never heard of. Is this the complete score (or almost), even though it's been rearranged?

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:59 am 

The song (performed by Ella Fitzgerald, composed by Jarre) is not included?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:15 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:59 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:47 am 

Flash Bomb, right Doug? I played that last night,
and smile every time ;-)

-Sean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:19 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:36 am 

I heard several times and loved the main theme, it is very strong, intense, and with an exceptional musical rhythm, it is divided in two parts: the action part with a lot of percussion and the dramatic part is the same music that after he had used on the score of Le Jour Et La Nuit (aka: Day And Night - 1997). The long suites of the others tracks has some interesting passages with others less interesting, but for me the final results in a good score in the whole with a spectacular main theme.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:32 am 

I had the same thoughts, Adilson. Very strong album, this one, and I'm grateful it exists!

I wish more recordings were done at Royce Hall, very nice, spacious sound here.

Now that we have 'Sun', actually commented on it, I feel comfortable saying I hope Le Jour et la Nuit
gets a revisit someday - another mediocre film (not as bad as 'Sun') that has a lot of great music
missing from the super rare CD.

Let's keep hoping - meanwhile, I'm so happy my favorite continues to see CD releases old & revisited.
-Sean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:53 pm 

I knew nothing about either film or score, but the samples sound very compelling (and distinctly Jarre), so I'll order this in my next "critical mass" purchase (meaning that I need to get seven CDs to justify the higher shipping costs...or revert to Plan B, which involves strapping the package to a hamster that then goes on a journey to Germany).

:wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]