Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Georges Delerue's SOMETHING WICKED
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:39 am 

Ordered along with The Monkey King & Edward Scissorhands. Excellent trio of releases to end the year. Thanks Intrada, looking forward to more of the same next year!

I really dig the cover art too, very cool!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:30 pm 

I can't thank you guys and gals enough for this magnificent album. Everything sounds crisp and well-defined, even when compared to the London session recording which is too reverb-ish in sound for my tastes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:09 am 

Sublime, along with being a grail. Really really sublime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:33 pm 

Finally this score presented with all its subtle, sombre and glorious sonorities...absolutely wonderful ! Thanks to all who made this happen at last !!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:39 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
I can't thank you guys and gals enough for this magnificent album. Everything sounds crisp and well-defined, even when compared to the London session recording which is too reverb-ish in sound for my tastes.

Thank you. I'm repeating myself perhaps but, next to noise-suppression, I think reverb is the most abused tool in the arsenal of audio enhancers available. It's often just used to make small "rooms" sound "big", as if size is all that matters. For me, with that increase in size we often lose all instrumental clarity and placement within the orchestra. With discretion, reverb is our friend. Overused, it can just muddy up the original recordings themselves that many times were crisp and clean prior to mastering. I love hearing it on particular colors within the orchestra, like on a clarinet solo within the woodwind section, but I want to hear where the player is sitting, too!

In fact, on SWTWC, I did utilize (judiciously) a little Altiverb on the low chorus channels and for the opening trombone chords... the former because it in my opinion usually helps "open up" singers intoning at low levels underneath an orchestra and the latter because... well, simply because I think the sound of three trombones shifting around on pure major and minor chords in the lower register is just really awesome with a little reverb. :)
--Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:17 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

Thank you. I'm repeating myself perhaps but, next to noise-suppression, I think reverb is the most abused tool in the arsenal of audio enhancers available. It's often just used to make small "rooms" sound "big", as if size is all that matters. For me, with that increase in size we often lose all instrumental clarity and placement within the orchestra. With discretion, reverb is our friend. Overused, it can just muddy up the original recordings themselves that many times were crisp and clean prior to mastering. I love hearing it on particular colors within the orchestra, like on a clarinet solo within the woodwind section, but I want to hear where the player is sitting, too!

In fact, on SWTWC, I did utilize (judiciously) a little Altiverb on the low chorus channels and for the opening trombone chords... the former because it in my opinion usually helps "open up" singers intoning at low levels underneath an orchestra and the latter because... well, simply because I think the sound of three trombones shifting around on pure major and minor chords in the lower register is just really awesome with a little reverb. :)
--Doug

Yeah, whether it be from processing or a recording venue's acoustic properties, I was never fond of a significantly "wet" sound. I know that some want a big sound no matter the cost even if the recording consists of a smallish ensemble, but that is a viewpoint with which I vehemently disagree.

Of course, it is ultimately about the music and I still very much enjoy many washy sounding recordings such as John Scott's King Kong Lives. Simply because the group recorded so many scores I like, Graunke Symphony Orchestra often gets a passing grade from me despite the usually heavy reverb of the venues. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:16 pm 

T. Newman Fan wrote:
Of course, it is ultimately about the music and I still very much enjoy many washy sounding recordings such as John Scott's King Kong Lives. Simply because the group recorded so many scores I like, Graunke Symphony Orchestra often gets a passing grade from me despite the usually heavy reverb of the venues. :mrgreen:

Agreed on Bavaria Music Studios, though I personally always liked the slap-back reverb John Richards and Dick Lewzey used to employ at the old CTS Bayswater (and later CTS Wembley / AKA The Music Centre) studios. Their close miking picked-up incredibly crisp detail but the slap-back provided enough of a "pause" that the reverb didn't muddy the details. Plus it gave the notoriously dry Wembly stage a large sound. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I love the recording quality of Superman II, Krull, Revolution, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:35 pm 

Paul MacLean wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

Agreed on Bavaria Music Studios, though I personally always liked the slap-back reverb John Richards and Dick Lewzey used to employ at the old CTS Bayswater (and later CTS Wembley / AKA The Music Centre) studios. Their close miking picked-up incredibly crisp detail but the slap-back provided enough of a "pause" that the reverb didn't muddy the details. Plus it gave the notoriously dry Wembly stage a large sound. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I love the recording quality of Superman II, Krull, Revolution, etc.

All good points, Paul. I agree about the sound on those recordings (Krull, etc.) and play them often. I should tweak my previous statement to say that reverb can be our friend and Richard Lewzey and John Richards both did cool things with it over there in London.

I should have more accurately said my biggest pet peeve these days is actually the mastering gimmick of "normalizing" (brickwalling) symphonic music, minimizing the dynamic range in favor of mastering it as loudly as possible, even to the point of genuine distortion. It's no secret I find the albums from Brian Tyler to be the most un-listenable on the market, even when his scores as they appear in the movies remain some of the most exciting in the current film score scene. I love those Expendables scores, and Iron Man 3 and so forth. But there's something awry when I have to listen to them with all the dialog and sound effects in order to actually enjoy them.

Thank goodness there are still many composers as varied as John Williams, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino and others - and their respective mastering engineers - that prefer the realistic sound of the orchestra over the artificial and badly distorted sound of the normalized recordings.
--Doug

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:37 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:
Paul MacLean wrote:
T. Newman Fan wrote:

All good points, Paul. I agree about the sound on those recordings (Krull, etc.) and play them often. I should tweak my previous statement to say that reverb can be our friend and Richard Lewzey and John Richards both did cool things with it over there in London.

I should have more accurately said my biggest pet peeve these days is actually the mastering gimmick of "normalizing" (brickwalling) symphonic music, minimizing the dynamic range in favor of mastering it as loudly as possible, even to the point of genuine distortion. It's no secret I find the albums from Brian Tyler to be the most un-listenable on the market, even when his scores as they appear in the movies remain some of the most exciting in the current film score scene. I love those Expendables scores, and Iron Man 3 and so forth. But there's something awry when I have to listen to them with all the dialog and sound effects in order to actually enjoy them.

Thank goodness there are still many composers as varied as John Williams, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino and others - and their respective mastering engineers - that prefer the realistic sound of the orchestra over the artificial and badly distorted sound of the normalized recordings.
--Doug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:46 pm 

I was going to buy one this week at their office, and saw 200 copies available Monday.

Today: Goose egg!

Dang.

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:30 am 

davidinberkeley wrote:
I was going to buy one this week at their office, and saw 200 copies available Monday.

Today: Goose egg!

Dang.

Available at SAE and Moviemusic.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/30580/SOMETHING-WICKED-THIS-WAY-COMES-UNUSED-SCORE/

https://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M10192/something-wicked-this-way-comes/