[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Roger's great new interview with Olivier of Underscores.fr!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Roger's great new interview with Olivier of Underscores.fr!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:36 pm 

This was such a wonderful interview I figured it was worth linking to on this forum:
http://www.underscores.fr/rencontres/in ... gelson-vo/

My various chronological thoughts while reading through it, reposted from the FSM forum thread:

I wonder if Intrada did indeed pursue a license for Face of a Fugitive with Sony (before discovering that there were no elements).

I think Roger might be underestimating demand for Jaws 2 vs. Jaws. The latter has been available complete before, and despite the sub-standard sound quality a lot of people I think are content with the existing complete album (not me!) On the other hand, Jaws 2 has never been released complete, and even the existing album is loooong out of print so there's a lot more demand. And it is also composed by John Williams, let's not forget...

I didn't realize the Signature Edition series had been officially phased out at this point. I thought it was still going, albeit infrequently. It's a bit of a shame the market saturation has resulted in fewer "low profile" scores getting released. There were some great releases in that series like Randy Miller's Spartacus which I guess probably wouldn't be released today, except perhaps if MovieScoreMedia took an interest.

I really wish the global economic crisis could have waited just another decade, so that we could have gotten a last big push for Golden Age scores most of which now will probably never get released -- though the market has improved, much of the audience is no longer with us. frown

I definitely think Mulan is the title that got "elevated" to the Legacy Collection series. I'm glad to hear though that Intrada is shooting for one Disney release a month. Maybe we'll get to some great Golden- and early Silver-Age scores now, like Clifton Parker's Treasure Island & Robin Hood, or William Alwyn's Swiss Family Robinson...oohhhh....Oliver Wallace's Darby O'Gill and the Little People would be a major grail for me!

WOW -- some hope for LucasFilm material, with Roger specifically interested in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles! And uncharacteristically for Roger, he talks of doing a "complete set" -- I thought Intrada didn't do big box sets, but maybe it'd be a multi volume series that's still complete along the lines of Intrada's Battlestar Galactica volumes rather than along the lines of LLL's Star Trek or Lost in Space. Either way, it'd be amazing! I'm assuming Varese didn't get perpetuity rights to these scores or it'd be considerably less likely.

Finally, it's good to know that they're still working on Volunteers and Conan the Destroyer. I hope with the extra time spent on the latter that they're piecing together the best performance possible from multiple takes, much as Mike Mattesino did so masterfully on Superman IV for the FSM Blue Box. Everyone said that one would sound terrible because it was performed by two different orchestras...and not very well, because of the small budget. But he made it sound fantastic -- not just the sound, but the performance!

Yavar

Post subject: Re: Roger's great new interview with Olivier of Underscores.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:00 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:30 pm 

You're probably right in terms of sheer "title appeal", but in regards to "the audience with a casual interest in soundtracks," do you think many of them are going to care about the improvement in sound quality of a complete Intrada Jaws reissue vs. the long readily-available Decca complete release? I know *I* will, and I look forward to the album recording being remastered as well, but I'm not sure about the average fan.

Oh well -- thankfully since Explorers this isn't as much of an issue any more, but I suspect Intrada will be surprised at just how much demand there will be for a complete Jaws 2 (or even a reissue, since it's been out of print so long).

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:38 pm 
As I said, there continues to be a relatively considerable number of *new* consumers interested in owning it. On a much greater level than Jaws 2, there are younger people who are just appreciating the original Jaws, the classic film and its iconic score. These are people who have never before had the score on album.

Demand for classic scores of this level is far from being static when compared to much less appreciated stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:58 pm 

It's too bad the interviewer didn't followup on a question that was asked in a 2012 Underscores interview regarding a possible release for the rejected Something Wicked This Way Comes; it looks like it's never going to come out... :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:22 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]