[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Which one do you cherish the most?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which one do you cherish the most?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:41 am 

This is an impossible question, Doug. But in the hypothetical world where I can pick just one, I have to go with Jerry Goldsmith's Psycho II. Aside from it having been my number one grail until the fine folks at Intrada at long last gave this score the proper complete release it deserved, I don't quite know how to put into words what it is about this score. Of course, it is an excellent score (with Jerry Goldsmith, there was never any doubt), but there is something else about it. Whenever I listen to the soundtrack or watch the film, I really feel like I am actually seeing inside Norman Bates' mind because of the music I am hearing. The music so perfectly defines the internal strife Norman undergoes, the tipping of the scale back and forth between his childlike innocence and his slow descent back into madness, that it truly feels like Goldsmith is actually painting a picture, rather than composing a musical score. Also, the sound of the knife that Goldsmith infused his score with, appearing every time someone picks up or slashes with the knife, is very striking and sticks with me. Having this score on CD, to listen to whenever I please, is incredible.

Maybe it's just that to this day it's so mind-blowing to me that Goldsmith's score and the film itself are so incredibly good that both actually rival the original masterpieces crafted by Herrmann and Hitchcock (never surpassing - that really would have been impossible - but close!). Think about it: who would have ever thought that Psycho II, released 23 years later, would be good, let alone be nearly as good as the original Psycho?

Anyway, that's my pick. Now if you'll excuse me, Mother is calling...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:37 pm 

Rambo III

After such a disappointing release on the Scotti Brothers label I could not quite believe the news that Intrada, so soon after, was releasing the complete score! Those early days when things like this seemed impossible to be released made this kind of news jaw dropping. No internet and emails then. The news came from a flyer tucked in with my Goldsmith Society magazine. It seemed too good to be true but it did happen. Those amazing early days of Night Crossing, Islands In the Stream and Rio Conchos. Magical.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:12 am 

I jumped a hole in the air of happiness with the release of Psycho II and Explorers.
Listening for years to the lp versions,i realized how much music was missing and wished i had every second of these scores.
Intrada made it reality.They make things come true,we can only dream of.
About Secret of Nimh,i,m happy one track survived ,the track At Your Service with that Hero theme is a Treasure.
About being spoiled,maybe yes,but is it wrong you can be sad music is lost.And openly speak about it.
If every session is lost,maybe filmstems are there.
I,m just worried for Legend,because it,s the same story.
But it,s in good hands if it ever get a new release by Intrada.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:36 pm 

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines (2CD)

For years I made do with the Fox LP featuring dialogue clips and never expected the release of the actual score, thinking it lost.
But when I first heard the 2CD set I was astounded that it sounded so good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:54 pm 

So many to chose from, Young Sherlock Holmes, Psycho II, Jaws The Revenge, Alien, Rambo III, but few were more special to me upon release than the expanded Poltergeist II.

The original album was such a disapointment to me that I could hardly believe when a friend told me that an expanded edition was coming with added 23 min. And that happened at a time when expanded releases were not as frequent as today. I still remember the day I picked it at a local store.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:28 am 

It's a toss up between Goldsmith & Poledouris.
Eeeny Meeny Miny Mo

Robocop - Poledouris

But Doug, we cherish every Intrada release since it all began, must be going back some 30 years now :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:20 am 

'The Old Man and the Sea' by Bruce Broughton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:17 am 

Back to the future is my most prized of all scores.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:40 pm 

Tough, tough question, as I have a huge library of Intrada releases going back many years. For me it has to be YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES. I was lucky enough to get Intrada's first promotional release when it first came out, and then the more recent ultimate edition. This one is going to be hard to top.... and could only be topped by another great Broughton release.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:57 pm 

Out of any album Intrada has released, I have to say the one I cherish the most is Richard Bellis' score to Stephen King's IT. It was the first movie to scare me as a young child and after subsequent viewings of the movie, I went on what turned out to be quite the elusive hunt...until Richard Bellis' email arrived that Intrada would be releasing it. Upon receiving it, it was on repeat for days. I still put it on as a very handy freak-out album since many people hate clowns and most people of our generation's fear of clowns came from Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise. Richard Bellis created a bizarre and melancholy musical world that even after the miniseries is remade and re-scored, I will look back on this album fondly.

Brian May's Dr. Giggles and Kevin Kiner's Leprechaun are also honorable mentions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:24 am 

Oh my what a question. I have over 200 Intrada releases, a wide range of styles and composers.

How can you choose between the likes of Black Hole, Young Sherlock Holmes, Black Stallion, Alien, Conan, Predator, Hindenburg, King Kong Lives, In Search of Peace, Night Crossing, Bernstein's AVA Collection?
What about the wonderful re-recordings such as Jason and the Argonauts or Spellbound?

Choosing one seems to me to be relegating so many excellent titles,
but if I had to pick one it would probably be James Horner's House of Cards.

Never seen the film but it's such an emotional score and one that always captures my imagination whenever I listen to it.

Come on Doug, what's your favourite? What score do you feel the most proud about?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 am 

You all have released so many it is hard to choose. But I will have to go with The Black Hole. It is one I grew up listening to and had the LP for years and years, and had pretty much given up on it seeing the light of day on CD. But Intrada and Disney came to the rescue, and I have been just pleased as punch for it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:06 am 

For me, it's Intrada's recording of Ivanhoe, which quickly became my favorite Rozsa score and has never been supplanted even though I own almost everything released since this landmark.

There's a musical reason for this - I just adore the score and of all re-recordings, it's still my favorite - one of my most-listened to albums ever.

But also a personal reason. As I've mentioned before somewhere on this board, I have many fond memories listening to this album (and Intrada's original Rambo III) in the final couple of years of my mom's life, when she was fighting a losing battle with cancer in her mid-fifties. It was such a solace to turn to this music (and yes, Rambo too, oddly, since I'm not even a fan of the movies) through those tough years. And for all the years since.

Now, I wish you had asked which 25 do you cherish the most, that would have been easier! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:10 am 

Rio Bravo by Dimitri Tiomkin. I still can hardly believe that it came out, amazing really, thanks to Doug and all the Intrada team. Now how about Tiomkin's Night Passage(1957), lol! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next