[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - James Horner R.I.P.

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: James Horner R.I.P.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:41 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:05 pm 

As a 20-something who grew up with Horner's music for his animation and family films, I'm just gutted over this tragedy.

I had always wanted to meet him in person someday, even if just for a quick five minute chat, maybe have him sign my Land Before Time CD (one of my most cherished scores). Now I'll never have that chance and it's like I just lost a best friend.

CTV ran a really well done report that I ended up recording off the TV, even though I really didn't need to.

https://www.facebook.com/Senn555/videos ... 306009333/
http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/osc ... -1.2435656

Edit: Crying while listening to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2EHbZPPYk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:41 am 

I've been listening to his music all day yesterday. And already started again this morning.

I was still hoping this was going to be a huge hoax.

Karol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 am 

I was always amazed by the sheer amount of hatred he received from fans who accused him of repeating himself. I mean, he DID, but it was always so effective in context if not always on album. Every movie he scored benefited, because he knew how to access it's heart.

I'd give anything to hear that four-note Rachmoninoff quote in a new movie again.

Horner will definitely be missed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:18 am 
I saw Lukas Kendall's post on FB early morning yesterday. I was shocked and speechless.

I remember getting the ST II ablum from Ann & Hope back in the day.

R.I.P. James Horner.

:cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:27 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
I have listened this entire week almost exclusively to James Horner's music (with a few other things in between).
Interestingly, one of the first scores by James Horner that grabbed my attention was a movie filmed with real wolves, WOLFEN. And one of the last scores by Horner I will ever hear is also for a movie filmed with real wolves, WOLF TOTEM. Beautiful score, very grand.

I will miss this guy's musical voice, I really will.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:43 pm 
I saw posted an April 2015 BAFTA interview with James Horner. It mostly addresses the usual that most of us have heard from him before - the art of writing and conducting for picture, orchestration, temp tracks, Hollywood erosion, and his usual director collaborations - but it's very interesting nonetheless.

I especially enjoyed his talk about looking up to Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams and Elmer Bernstein. In my mind, Horner was every bit as effective in scoring a picture as those three masters.

http://guru.bafta.org/the-guru-18-a-con ... mes-horner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 pm 

My father was in the brass section for the studio recording sessions of "Casper" as well as the THX Sound System "Conductor" Theme that Mr. Horner wrote. He enjoyed working with him.

As for me, I grew up listening to scores like "Star Trek II" and "Battle Beyond the Stars" (while often taping his bits of music from movies like "Wolfen" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" with a cassette recorder held up to the TV speaker), so I was saddened to hear that he'd passed away so tragically. When I heard he died, I decided to listen to "Brainstorm" in his memory. Along with "The Rocketeer," that's probably my favorite score of his. "Lillian's Heart Attack" is such a violent, terrifying, and yet strangely exhilarating piece of music, while "Michael's Gift to Karen" is one of the top ten loveliest soundtrack cues that I've ever heard.

Tonight, I'll be going for action-horror with "Aliens."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 pm 

A friend of mine set this up, and I thinks it's a great way to bid farewell.

I would like to invite everyone here touched by his music to join me and others in celebrating and remembering this unique and gifted man, and the incredible music he left behind.

Please join us for this worldwide listening event on Facebook here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1633598916884975/

#ThankYouJamesHorner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:22 am 

My tribute to James Horner is now on-line,
http://www.cinematicsound.net/a-tribute ... 1953-2015/

Enjoy!

-Erik-

Join our Patreon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:33 pm 

Extracts from The 33.

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/the-33 ... g-extract/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:22 pm 

Two little videos from FILM MUSIC PRAGUE's James Horner Tribute...

not that anyone cares...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78hynTd7YL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa36WyaoxS8

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:32 pm 

Wish there was something stateside, but there's been nothing. :(

I still feel his absence.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next