[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - COMPOSER'S WEB SITES OF THE WEEK: 9/05/06

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: COMPOSER'S WEB SITES OF THE WEEK: 9/05/06
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:57 pm 

I thought that I'd try listing a some of the info that I seem to have acquired over the years about film composers. One is that an increasing number of them are getting their own OFFICIAL WEBSITES, which appears to be a great source for getting info on them and the film music industry in general. So once a week I'll try to list one, or a few, that I've come across. Sometimes they may big names, and others will be folk that you probably never even knew about. Either way, it's my way of sharing and keeping other's informed.

This week I thought that I'd start off with more than one or two, but instead focus on websites dedicated to not only film composers, but ones that also function as some of the top orchestrators in the business.

Enjoy!

~ Scorehead

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• COMPOSERS SITES OF THE WEEK: 9/05/06 - "Orchestrators Turned Composers, Turned Orchestrators, Turned..."

• Chris Boardman - http://www.chrisboardmanmusic.com/
As the orchestrator for such high profile composers as; Michael Kaman, James Newton Howard, Chris Young, Bruce Broughton, Alan Silvestri, James Horner, Quincy Jones, Thomas, Randy and David Newman and has even been orchestrator for orchestrator William Ross, he is no doubt one the best in the business. His website, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. The site hasn't been updated in some time (2002? and he's scored at least 3 films since then) and offers barely a glimpse into the many traits of his versatile talents as orchestrator, arranger, producer and composer. His samples page would appear to be adequate enough, showcasing mostly films that his acted on as orchestrator, and only a few where he was the sole composer. But I do recall there being a time when one could load and listen to audio samples, and that feature doesn't seem to work anymore. Click on the image of the films poster and get nothing. A bit of a let down, as it would be nice to get to hear some tunes. Also, for what it's worth, and if you want to contact Boardman, it does have a direct email link, but if one clicks on the "contact" feature on most pages you'll only get a general "info" link - but click on the "Contact" feature on his "NEWS" page and an email address to "Chris" pops up. (For having a website - 1 Star)

• Don Davis - http://dondavis.filmmusic.com/home.html
One of the more prolithic of orchestrator/composers, Davis has garnered much respect for both hats that he wears. Although it appears to have not been updated in at least a year (fall 2005), his website is pretty standard, with features such as; a Bio/film/discography, an overview of his concert works, pictures of his studio and audio links, which are perry cool, offering ample score samples, much of which has never been released before. Lots of good stuff on that last afore mentioned page, but be sure to check out his unreleased score to the fabulous space film, "Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets" or his all out action score to "Behind Enemy Lines." (Okay site - Audio samples boost it's rating - 2 3/4 Stars)

• Mark McKenzie (NEW SITE!!!) - http://www.markmckenzie.org/
A new website design for one of the most popular orchestrator/composers in the bussiness. A beautiful site that appears to have been a labor of love, is vastly improved over his original website. It's easy to navigate, has tons of information to peruse (Filmography, Notes, Pictures/Video, Interviews, etc) and even better, plenty of audio samples to McKenzie's work as a composer, with much of it having never been released before on CD. The audio samples come with personal notes by the composer himself, where he gives details on his thoughts and approach to scoring the projects. On this last note, be sure to check out his notes and samples to his enthralling and seasonal score to BLIZZARD - http://www.markmckenzie.org/blizzard.php?org_comp_id=6 - where he recants his personal thoughts on composing the music and also sentimentally recalls remarks made by Jerry Goldsmith at the time. In all, it would be great if more composers would follow McKEnzie's example here and be so gracious with presenting their talents. (GREAT SITE - 4 Stars!!!!)

• William Ross - http://www.williamrossmusic.com/
Regrettably, one of the best orchestartor/composers in the industry has a fairly mundane and generic website, that offers nothing more than a one page layout of CD covers to both his commercially released soundtracks and hard to find promotional releases. Appears that he started the site, but didn't finnish it. Only other note to make is that it also has an email link where one can email Ross personally. (For what it could have been, A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT - 0 Stars)

• Lawrence Ashmore - http://larryashmore.co.uk/
You may have noticed Lawrence's name attached to numerous projects over the years as orchestrator or arranger on over some one 130 films. Truly one of the men behind the men, his collaborations have been with, but aren't limited to; Patrick Doyle (on nearly every film he's done), Basil Poledouris, Laurence Rosenthal, Christopher Young, Rachel Portman, Trevor Jones, Maurice Jarre, Michael Lewis, Howard Blake and even film music titan, D. Tiomkin. His website is fairly bare bones with the usual; Bio, film/tv/stage/concertorgraphy and Stories, but is adequate enough to shine a light on his career contributions and give more than the casual film music fan a glimpse at what goes on behind the scenes of film and theater music. There is also a link for contacting Ashmore personally. (For having a website - 1 1/2Star)

• J.A.C Redford - http://www.jacredford.com/
J.A.C Redford should be on that list of composers that people infrequently ask "Whatever happened to...?" Occasionally scoring a film here and there, Redford seems to be more comfortable in the concert hall these days or engaging in music of a religious nature, or doing orchestrations for James Horner, amongst others. His site is well put together and easy to navigate, full of the usual content; Bio, film/concert/discography, plenty of audio samples and a link to his store where one can buy sheet music or his music and CDs to concert works and soundtracks, even some that are hard to find promotional discs to scores otherwise unreleased. Here you can also purchase ( an autographed copy of ) Redford's marvelous book titled "A Composer's Journey," which details his career as a composer and his religious journey as guide (“ While music is a wonderful gift, it makes a very poor god. It can sing of redemption, but it can’t provide it.â€

Last edited by scorehead on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: .....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:25 pm 

Patrick Williams -- [url]patrickwilliamsmusic.com[/url]

Patrick Kirst -- [url]patrickkirtst.com[/url]
Someone who I believe has talent and is waiting for a break.

Joel Goldsmith -- FreeClyde.com
Son of the late Jerry Goldsmith. Joel reads and posts at his board. There are plenty of sound lcips of stuff you can't find on CD. Well, pressed CD.

Michael McCuistion, Lolita Ritmanis & Kirstopher Carter -- [url]dynamicmusicpartners.com[/url]
Used to work with Shirley Walker on Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and other projects. McCuistion has started working with Elfman, Lolita still orchesteates for Mark Snow, and I don't off hand remember what Carter is doing.

Dennis McCarthy -- dennismccarthy.com
Famous Star Trek composer, and more.

William Ross -- [url]williamrossmusic.com[/url]
Worked with Dennis McCarthy, John Williams, and others.
Site still under construction.

THE PRISONER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:16 pm 

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:21 pm 

Gernot Wolfgang --
Orchestration and additional score for Christopher Young on a number of scores. Trailed off after 2001.

Ray Colcord --

Kevin Manthei --
Does additional score for Marco Beltrami a lot. But then again, who doesn't?
A number of sound lips.

David Williams --
Not mentioned too often. A number of sound clips.

David Bergeaud --

Hummie Mann --
Besdies replaicng John Barry twice, he's worked on a numer of TV shows (The Simpsons) and orchestrated Jerry Goldsmith's titles to Star Trek: Voyager.

Angela Morley --
Besides ghostwritting for John Williams on occasion (not sure if anymore), also orchestrated for him and others. A talented composer that sadly fell under the radar and never got the fame eserved.

Burkhard van Dallwitz -- [urlhttp://www.burkhardallwitz.com.au[/url]
The one rejected from "Supernova", and scored "The Truman Show".[/url]

THE PRISONER

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:40 pm 

Post subject: George Shaw Music on MYSPACE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:05 pm 
Hey Scorehead,
Thanks a lot for mentioning my site in your review of Composer websites. Very informative for me! I have some behind the scenes videos, and trailers on my myspace page:

Post subject: Re: COMPOSER'S WEB SITES OF THE WEEK: 9/05/06
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:58 pm 

This from Chris Boardman.

"Hi,

Thanks for the note. You are right...my site is in dire need of updating. I
am currently in design and development mode...hoping to have a new sight up
shortly.

At your suggestion (in your blog) I checked the links to my samples page. Yes
it is true that some films have no samples but the ones that do actually
work.

I will let you know when the new sight is up.

[Also] to direct you to the site for my latest film, "LOCAL COLOR".
Directed by George Gallo please take a moment and visit:
http://www.localcolornetwork.com

Best wishes,

CB"

~ Scorehead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm 

This from William Ross.

"Hi,

Well, I haven't done anything to that site in several years. I'm in the midst of getting a new site. I can't imagine anything respectful being said about what is currently there. Outdated and low tech would be polite comments. It was set up by someone for me who then sent me a link and said "What do you think!"

I guess this is one of those examples of the road to somewhere being paved with good intentions. I've been so busy that I just haven't taken the time to get the new one up.

Thanks for your email.

Best

Bill Ross"

~ Scorehead

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]