[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Billy Goldenberg's DUEL

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Billy Goldenberg's DUEL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:59 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

DUEL
Composed and Conducted by BILLY GOLDENBERG
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 305

The 1971 Universal telefilm Duel was the first feature-length movie directed by Steven Spielberg, starring the original “monster truck”—a rust-covered, behemoth Peterbilt truck hauling a massive tanker trailer full of gasoline—and featured a white-knuckle game of wits between the truck’s seemingly insane, murderous driver and a panicky everyman played by Dennis Weaver. Composer Billy Goldenberg was given scoring duties to bring this rust-colored score to life, ultimately ranking as one of the most abstract and experimental works in the composer’s output. Less a presentation of themes than it is a collection of unnerving effects and moods, Goldenberg’s music gets inside the addled brain of David Mann (Weaver) producing a portrait of terror and disintegrating rationality as Mann struggles to fight back against his implacable, anonymous foe. Goldenberg scored for a group of 39 players, limited to strings, harp, keyboards, guitars and percussion, with no brass or woodwinds. Veteran percussionist Emil Richards provided a number of exotic instruments from his vast collection amassed from around the world, and Goldenberg hired Paul Beaver to supply effects with a Moog synthesizer.

The scoring sessions were also innovative for the day, incorporating a then unheard-of-for-television process of recording onto three separate channels (the typical recording format for Universal during that era), then making takes with other instruments on three channels in sessions of their own for overlaying one on top of the other, sometimes gaining up to twelve recordable channels long before such multi-channel recording processes were commonly in use. In spite of everything ultimately being mixed down to mono for the film's presentation, Universal retained every multiple three-channel recording session layer on separate rolls of ½″ tape. This allowed us to create true stereo takes of nearly every cue, with only the diner source cues in mono. Listeners will thus be hearing some of the most complex television scoring of all time with stunning stereo detail that reveals numerous innovational techniques vividly on display for the first time.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 305
Retail Price: $19.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9504/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Billy Goldenberg's DUEL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm 
Tonight's releases is even more proof as to why Intrada is my favorite label. Both being in very good stereo is a major bonus. I can't wait to hear these over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:32 pm 

This is SO ordered! My favorite Goldenberg!

Thanks Doug, Roger and all the kind folks
at Intrada!!!...:-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:34 pm 

Mine! All mine!

Do I sound greedy?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:37 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:42 am 

This is fantastic! FINALLY one of those great Universal Goldenberg scores!
This is for me one of the best Intrada releases ever. :D

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:13 am 

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Intrada delivers yet again.
Those samples sound amazing, a great eerie Goldenberg score is an instant purchase.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:47 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:40 pm 

I love your commitment to releasing music of the Golden Age of experimental film and tv scoring. And mostly I love having available the closest we've come yet to the defining sound of early 70's Goldenberg Columbo, which is one of my favorite sound worlds in all of film music.

What is Goldenberg doing harmonically with his chord progressions that sounds like no one else? (Heard for example in the sample Truck Waiting #5 starting around 25 seconds in.) I LOVE it.

When I was a kid I used to mistake Goldenberg for Goldsmith, not because they are not distinctive, but because they wrote the COOLEST music for TV and movies. This proves it.

Thanks a million. (And for The Car too - I'll take a Rosenman thriller any day of the week!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:14 pm 

Wow! I thought I'd never see Duel released!

With the exceptional Last Starfighter, Jaws The Revenge and Duel this is already one of my favourite year of Intrada releases!

If more Universal treasures (more Jaws, Psycho III and Airports ate released) this Will be "the best" Intrada year ever! Rambo II would be nice also...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:28 am 

You guys are all being kind, which is nice to read. Sure, I'm pretty happy with our place amongst the myriad soundtrack labels. But the best label ever? Not hardly. There's RCA, MGM, Decca, Liberty, United Artists, Warner Bros., Roulette, Epic, Columbia, Polydor, MCA, Reprise, Capitol, Arista, A&M, 20th Century Fox, Atlantic, Dot, Mercury, Virgin and so on and so forth. We're pretty far removed from the best label ever.

But I sure do love your sentiments. :D
--Doug

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:22 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:55 pm 

Are y'all SURE that GOLDSMITH didn't compose this score? It sounds a LOT like his style at the time! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:58 pm 

Oh, and BTW, Doug, Roger, et. al., I'd go as far as to say you guys are PIONEERS! Forget Varese... INTRADA is the best soundtrack label out there... bar none!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:44 am 

Thank you Intrada!! This have been a score I've been hoping to get for a long time. The only scores left on my grail lists now are Psycho 3 and 4, Ghost Story complete and any complete Jaws scores. Every soundtrack I've been looking for that is out of print or non-existent, Intrada seems to be the label to release it. Glad that Duel can finally be crossed off the list.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next