[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Craig Safan's THE LAST STARFIGHTER

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Craig Safan's THE LAST STARFIGHTER
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 pm 

I wish I could attend the signing but there is just no chance...
and with the international shipping costs charged by CF, which is nothing but a rip off, I guess there is no chance for a signed copy...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:48 am 

Hi Roger,
I registered just now to this forum so I could specifically thank you and Intrada staff for making 'The Last Starfighter' happen. I ordered it (along with 'The Boy Who Could Fly') as soon as they became available. Funnily enough I haven't seen 'The Boy Who Could Fly' but I have nearly all the other Bruce Broughton Intrada releases so I felt compelled to buy it. I live in Australia so it will be a little while before I receive the CDs, but it's always worth the wait.
So once again, thank you and everyone at Intrada for your efforts. I live and breath '80s movie scores, so releases like these are just the best! :D

JoshOz.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:33 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:45 am 

i have nearly all CD from Craig Safan (as far as i know only Warning sign is not in my collection)
Last Starfighter has a special place in my heart and collection, but i would rate "Son of the Morning Star" to be Craig Safans greatest musical achievment (the ones i had a chance to hear) simply wonderful!
One of my all time soundtrack treasures !

Hope it gets a rerelease, so others can enjoy this music too! An expanded release is more than welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:34 pm 

Thanks for more behind-the-scenes info, Doug. Son of the Morning Star is one of my favorite Intrada releases, and discovering that there is "boatloads" more music *that you actually have right now* from it is extremely exciting. I am super jazzed that you're in the process of trying to license it again for a definitive release. I'm glad Safan has a champion in you.

Since you're really familiar with his music, are there any other unreleased orchestral Safan scores anywhere near the level of these two masterpieces? Any scores of his you've been hoping to premiere still?

Surely there must be other Safan scores with trumpet solos, at least. :)

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:57 pm 

I'm not familiar with the "Morning Star" score spoken of in this thread, but certainly am curious.

If it gives Starfighter a good run for it's money, it will be a day 1 purchase for me if you guys release it (unless there is a signing for the release, in which case i'd buy it at the event).

Craig Safan has done some great material that has not been heard by nearly enough people, IMHO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm 

They're very different scores as I've noted. I love Starfighter and probably listen to it (or part of it) a little more often than Son of the Morning Star, but that's because the latter is so emotionally powerful it'd be weird to listen to it all the time.

It's kind of like saying Schindler's List gives Jurassic Park a run for its money. Both are superbly written pieces of music but one has greater emotional power (and maybe is more 'high art') while the other is more fun and easy to listen to.

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:41 pm 

The new Last Starfighter CD is stunning - and The Boy Who Could Fly is more beautiful than ever. I can't thank you enough for these breathtaking releases!

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:14 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:17 am 

I received this and The Boy Who Could Fly yesterday afternoon, and played Starfighter last night really, really, really loud. Really liking the extra sheen on the strings and the brighter brass! I never had a problem with the sound of the previous edition — maybe it was a little dull, but it was otherwise pretty good, especially for its vintage — but the detail and sound this one blows it completely away. Listen to the extra-gross synth blats in “Centauri Into Space” (with the new sound mix, when that brass fanfare comes in, it really comes in), and those bells during the triumphant reprise of the main theme at the beginning of the end title in “Into the Starscape!”

“Gunstars” and “Victory Or Death” are all great to have, but the real winner here is definitely “Record Breaker.” It is so satisfying to finally have this piece which is, in essence, the entire score writ small.

Also: another admirer of The Son of the Morning Star here! If there's more, I'm game…

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:34 am 

Still listening.

Restoring those little moments is interesting… I certainly understand why previous editions would concentrate on the longer cues that have more time to develop, and some are more functional than anything else, but there are just so many great little “go get 'em, Tiger” moments in the shorter cues that have been restored.

Maybe there is a Starfighter left…

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:40 pm 

This score has always been a complete joy to listen to and will always be a modern film music classic. Loved the original Intrada CD so was worried this might not sound any better. But it does! Incredible detail and the recording now feels a little more spacious to my ears. The extra music is a nice bonus. Record Breaker is a very welcome inclusion. The shorter extras perhaps don't add much to the overall score, especially alongside the major cues, but they go to make this the complete package.

Thanks to all at Intrada for getting this one out again in this form. Well done to all concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:50 am 

I enjoyed meeting Mr. Safan at the signing even Saturday, and got a good listen (several, actually) to the new complete release.

Oh boy, it sounds great !!!

Not all that far removed from the prior release in the mix generally, but much sharper, clearer, and cleaner.

To my ears, it sound basically perfect.

The liner notes were great also, and the artwork is superb as usual from Intrada.

This release is a real jewel on the CD rack, and has gotten (and will get) plenty of play time.

Thanks John Takis (liner notes), Joe Sikoryak (artwork), Douglas Fake (CD mastering and editing), and Craig Safan for the fantastic music.

And special mention has to go to the players, especially the brass and woodwinds, I hate to think of the physical injuries these guys risked playing those intense lines. Hope they got a chance to breath.

And thanks to Intrada for getting this one out again, where the work can be discovered and heard. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:05 am 

Well said, OneBuckFilms!

This is easily the early contender for Best Specialty Label Release Of The Year. It's completely perfect! It will be hard for another release to top it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:28 am 

Did I say it?

ORDERED! :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next