[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Peter Bernstein's MY SCIENCE PROJECT

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Peter Bernstein's MY SCIENCE PROJECT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:59 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

MY SCIENCE PROJECT
Composed and Conducted by Peter Bernstein
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 297

Peter’s work had just a sparkle to it. It had
humor, it had majesty, it propelled stories along. I was really intrigued.
--Writer and Director Jonathan Betuel

For the 1985 sci-fi film, My Science Project, composer Peter Bernstein and writer/director Jonathan Betuel agreed the film should have a traditional symphonic score, laced with elements of synthesizers and electronics. The score is largely in the Romantic orchestral vein popularized by John Williams and others in that decade’s biggest blockbusters. Bernstein wrote a six-note motif for the plot-generating gizmo, a chromatic fanfare that mingles menace and wonder. Bernstein fashioned his score
with multiple layers of material, creating a massive musical canvas. He worked with the pop sensibilities of guitar and rhythm section to balance the numerous songs, created additional textures from several synthesized keyboards, combined elements of both to create new sonorities—and, of course, composed a considerable amount of music for large orchestra as well. Also included with this release is the pulsating end title song, “My Science Project" performed by The Tubes.

To present all of this fascinating music on CD for the first time, Intrada was given access to the masters on 2” 24-track session rolls and 1/2” multi-track keyboard session tapes recorded by Shawn Murphy at the Warner Bros. Scoring Stage.

My Science Project begins with Michael Harlan (John Stockwell) at risk of not graduating from high school unless he impresses his science teacher, “Bob”—a lingering hippie played by Dennis Hopper—with a winning class project. A “gearhead” obsessed with cars, Michael decides to root around an old junkyard of decommissioned military aircraft for something to scam off as his invention. He stumbles across a glowing “gizmo” from a government-buried UFO, soon revealed as a havocwreaking time portal. Sucked into this whirlwind are Michael’s nerdy-but-interested-and-secretly-beautiful classmate Ellie (Danielle von Zerneck) and his wisecracking buddy from Brooklyn, Vince (Fisher Stevens). The gizmo sucks Bob back into the glorious ’60s—and spits a cacophony of ancient monsters, angry Viet Cong and a Tyrannosaurus rex into their present-day high school.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 297
Retail Price: $19.99
Available NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9256/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Peter Bernstein's MY SCIENCE PROJECT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:22 pm 

Another holy grail down!

Thanks Intrada! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:25 pm 

Best release of the year hands down guys. Thanks Intrada for this special treat.
And it even has the end credis song. :D

* Funny sidenote: To ride on the succés of Ghostbusters the company that released My Science Project here in sweden renamed the Movie to Time Busters. Go figure. :mrgreen:

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:13 pm 

Thanks Intrada. Order duly placed. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 am 

Bagged this sweet release.
As always big thanks to team Intrada.
Hope to see/hear more P. Bernstein on your fine label.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:37 pm 

Thanks for shipping it. :)

Between this and D.A.R.Y.L., I'm reviling my childhood big time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 pm 

I got my CD today, and have to say: This is a fun score. :)

Love that motif for the "Gizmo", especially in the action for track 14.

The opening titles are superb also, and I'd love to hear more of Charles Bernstein's work.

I can certainly hear the Back to the Future type influence in there too.

Thanks Intrada. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:59 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:28 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:40 pm 

I know this is an old thread, but it's to do with this particular soundtrack. So this release includes the movie's title track performed by The Tubes, and this is mentioned in some of the announcements on the website and elsewhere. However, when you look the soundtrack up on Intrada's website and click on the 'Doug's Tech Talk' icon, it says this:
"Also included with this release are the four original songs written by Robert Held and William Heller that appear in the movie, including the pulsating end title song, 'My Science Project.' The latter also features in a purely instrumental cue during Peter Bernstein’s score."
Now I haven't seen 'My Science Project', but IMDB does confirm there were other songs written specially for the movie. So were these other songs originally going to be included here as well? And if so, why were they left off?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]