[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's PSYCHO II

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's PSYCHO II
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:00 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

PSYCHO II
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 273

For the 1983 Universal Pictures sequel Psycho II, composer Jerry Goldsmith retained the coiling, aggressive string writing he’d developed through the '70s, while grounding the score with a melody for ghostly electronics and strings -- one that gets to the heart of the Norman Bates character in an unexpected way, capturing a sense of innocence and sympathy. In the score’s main title, Goldsmith’s wistful theme for Norman plays against a repeating, four-note piano figure, one that slithers off in an odd direction as it’s about to repeat a fourth time. Like mother and son, the piano motif is related to the theme for Norman and hints at his madness, driving numerous cues in the score.

Goldsmith fashioned roughly an hour of music for Psycho II, including using Bernard Herrmann’s legendary shower murder set-piece from the original film to open his otherwise all-new score. The original 1983 MCA vinyl soundtrack featured exactly 30 minutes of music, including the Herrmann opening murder sequence. In addition to missing numerous important cues, the album shortened three of the nine cues present. Consequently, more than half of the score is making its premiere appearance on this Intrada CD. Intrada was given access to the complete multi-channel recording session masters and assembled the entire score in picture sequence. The master elements were in pristine condition and included all of the complex electronic overlays with their vast array of throbs and gurgles, child-like bells and distant motifs—and those terrifying knife-like slashes.

Psycho II presents Norman (Anthony Perkins) as a protagonist, when a strident Lila Loomis (Vera Miles) harangues him on the day of his release. Furtive and gentle, Norman is taken in by Mrs. Spool (Claudia Bryar) to work at a local restaurant where Norman is soon employed as a cook’s assistant. Norman invites hapless waitress Mary (Meg Tilly) to stay with him at his decrepit house, unaware that Mary is the daughter of Lila. When signs seem to indicate Norman’s mother is exerting her influence on her well-meaning son again, Norman turns to Mary for solace, and despite her involvement in attempting to incriminate Norman, Mary begins to sympathize with him. But things naturally don't work out for the best.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 273
Retail Price: $19.99
Available NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8616/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's PSYCHO II
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:18 pm 

No "Special Collection" logo? Please tell me this isn't an April Fool's joke...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:19 pm 
Very nice surprise! People can finally shut up about wanting this. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:30 pm 

AHHHH!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:31 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:34 pm 

Hi Roger,

I may have overlooked it (sorry if I did), but who wrote the liner notes for this?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 pm 

I WAS HOPING INTRADA WOULD RELEASE IT!!!

BUT IT IS A REAL SURPRISE TO SEE IT RELEASED WITHOUT PREVIOUS WARNING!!!!!

THIS IS ONE OF MY ALL TIMES GRAILS!!!!!!

THE BEST SOUNDTRACK NEWS OF THE YEAR!!!!!

YES, I'M WRITING IN CAPS BECAUSE I'M SCREAMING!!!!

now please bring PSYCHO III and the JAWS "Great White" box!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:38 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm 

Love SURPRISES!!!

The best kind of April Fools Joke, is when it isn't one!

Instant order of course,
I also hope, as several others have expressed, an extensively complete edition of PSYCHO III will follow soon!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:59 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm 

Speechless. Ordered. Best release ever. Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:07 pm 

Where's Allardyce?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:11 pm 

Those of you who know me are fully aware that I'm over here having spasms of delirous happiness at this announcement. The grail of all grails for me has arrived. My favorite score to my favorite film. I'm truly shocked. And blessed. I want to have Intrada's baby.

Mr. F. & Mr. F. ... I am eternally grateful. Thank you SO much.

DSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 pm 

Any particular reason this was released without fanfare or an announcement beforehand?

I'm not complaining... I'M ECSTATIC, ACTUALLY... just curious. :o

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next