[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's PSYCHO II

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's PSYCHO II
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:37 pm 

Okay, interesting! Thanks for the response, Doug!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:58 am 

I found this edition of the score to be much superior to the original album as a listening experience far beyond the obvious improvements in sound quality. The additional iterations of Norman's theme — so wrenchingly beautiful and pure — give the score a stronger emotional grounding, and the added scary music is quite arresting. I particularly like how the electronics are blended with the orchestra in this score, giving the tension a dreamlike tone and Norman's theme an almost virginal quality.

I'm a sucker for Jerry's scary music, have been since Alien. For my money, one of the scariest events in motion picture history is the shift in the music under Zelda Rubinstein's speech in Poltergeist — you know the part I'm talking about. This score is one that I've really liked in the film (which I haven't seen in a while), thought the album was okay, but it absolutely flourishes in this new expansion. I'm loving it!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 am 

No kidding about Psycho II, Swash & I know the EXACT chilling string crescendo you are talking
about in POLTERGEIST - even sitting here at work in broad daylight thinking
about it is giving me goosebumps! One of the most striking moments in Goldsmith.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 am 

Must chime in and agree that this expansion is the perfect way to hear the score. The new sound is flawless and I really think this presentation beats the heck out of Jerry's LP assembly, especially having "It's Not Your Mother" take its rightful place as the climax of the piece. It's easy to see why Jerry wanted a bang at the end of side one of the LP of course (he did that a lot during this era) but PSYCHO II really does benefit from following the natural build and flow of the film narrative. Every cue seems to up the tension factor with the various themes growing and intertwining and the orchestration building in intensity until that sensational payoff.

My favorite release of 2014 so far, by a significant margin!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:14 pm 

Finally received and have listened to it.

The mix is different and while I probably would prefer the electronics a bit more on the background the added details more than compensate, especially the agressive "psycho" strings in It's Not Your Mother that were not aparent in the album.

In fact four (and not three) of the previously released tracks include additional material, Mother's Room #2, Blood Bath, Don't Take Me and The Cellar. In Blood Bath it is not much significant (some additional bars at the start of the track).

It is also a case on which the music is used as intended with almost nothing moved around or dialed out from the film, which confirms how much the director and producers must have enjoyed Jerry's contributions. The only notable exception is the replacement of the final seconds of Expected Gest (with some electronics that reminded me of Gremlins) by the last 22 seconds of No Note. I think this decision was the best for the movie, with the 'gong' associated with the house during the movie being used for the scene on which Norman's Mother climbs to the house. In fact I created a film version to include in my IPod's program moving the original version in the bonus tracks.

I also programed the Beethoven's music to their order in the movie, as they are much integrated in my memory of the film... after the Peep Hole scene I expect to hear the Moonlight sonata...

This a great release in all aspects and my favourite release in a long time!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:22 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:55 pm 

Thanks so much to Intrada for releasing this highly regarded and sought after score. I bought two copies online today and now wait with intense excitement over the opportunity to literally own something I've been dreaming of having for over 25 years. Thanks for making it finally happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:05 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 am 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:51 am 

SCORE!! (pun intended). I actually paid $50 to get the out of print Varese CD years ago. Now to have a complete version is a dream come true. I've wanted this one to be released for so long I don't even regret over paying so many years age. At least I've been able to enjoy that one for years. Now if only Psycho III can get the same treatment. There is a "Psycho III" piano medley that someone did on YouTube that is so good, I almost wish it could be included as a bonus track. Anyway, I hope that Psycho III will be released by Halloween this year. It has never made it to CD before and with this year being season 3 of Bates Motel, why not?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:53 pm 

Rented a few old films from the video store: Asphalt Jungle followed by Clash By Night. (Kind of got sick of waiting for WB to release them on blu-ray but since I've now rented them WB will announce the BLUs within six months. For those waiting You're Welcome :-)

Of course that had nothing to do with this thread topic however after those films back to back I wanted to choose a score to sit back and listen to and take in. I was in a classic Herrmann mood but scanning my soundtracks I thought Ooooo Psycho II may be what I really need.

Goldsmith is my favorite film composer yet to be honest I never really knew his Psycho II score all that well. Or at least never let it wash over me as much. It truly is a great score from him
In the 1980's.

So grateful to Intrada and everyone else involved in getting this one expanded and released. just love the cover artwork options.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4