[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Nostalgia... do you remember the Oscars 1998?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Nostalgia... do you remember the Oscars 1998?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:06 pm 

This was a time where you could have Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, James Horner, Danny Elfman and Philip Glass nominated for best original score all together ! And this was a night that could see James Horner win it all, best score and best song!
John Williams was still there yesterday night, though he didn't win...

Post subject: Re: Nostalgia... do you remember the Oscars 1998?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 pm 

Sure wish I could have been around at that time. But I don't know if I'd be more disappointed living through such fruitful years in film scores in the 1990s and looking at film scores now, or like I am now, having grown up in the era of Remote Control and Trent Reznor. Ah well, still got a couple Elfman and Powell scores to look forward to this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:05 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:24 am 

Well, think back - or imagine - you are watching the Oscar nominations being read for the "Best Original Score of 1962":

Maurice Jarre: Lawrence Of Arabia (the winner)
Elmer Bernstein: To Kill A Mockingbird
Jerry Goldsmith: Freud
Franz Waxman: Taras Bulba
Bronislau Kaper: Mutiny On The Bounty

Wow! For fans of the sixties scoring scene, it just couldn't get any better. There isn't a single slacker in the bunch!!
--Doug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:43 am 

Ah, the sixties! Just look at the following year:

Cleopatra - Alex North

55 Days At Peking - Dimitri Tiomkin

How The West Was Won - Alfred Newman

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Ernest Gold

Tom Jones - John Addison - the winner!

And classic scores like: The Great Escape - Elmer Bernstein & Jason & The Argonauts - Bernard Herrmann, didn't even get nominated!

Those really were the days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:33 am 
The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s all had at least one truly amazing year in film scoring with overwhelming excellence.

There are many unsung Hollywood scores that weren't even nominated throughout the decades, but I don't need the Academy to tell me what scores perfectly captured the essence of a film and/or were truly innovative.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:18 pm 

Thanks for mentioning it......

WHO IS GOING TO RELEASE THE COMPLETE SCORE FOR OBSESSION?!?!?!
DOUG! You've obviously looked at this thread, can't you PLEASE shed SOME kind of light as to why this has yet to be released? Certainly you must know SOMETHING!!!!

With the possible exception of Voyage of the Damned(And those few bits from The Omen), ALL of those scores have been released in their COMPLETE form! ONLY OBSESSION has yet to receive this treatment! I would just like to know why.

Last edited by Terry Cloth on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:20 pm 

Anakin....actually, Herrmann was nominated TWICE for his first TWO scores, and then twice for his LAST two scores. Would've been nice if he had won - albeit posthumously - for OBSESSION!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:23 am 

Oh I didn't know that, he has been so rarely nominated ! :o)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:44 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:13 am 
1976 was indeed some year for Hollywood film scores. Aside from the fantastic scores nominated, there's Carrie (my personal favorite from that year), Rocky and King Kong, as well as the underappreciated scores for Marathon Man, Family Plot, The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, Murder by Death, The Big Bus and The Enforcer. Not bad at all!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:01 pm 

WELL..... it would appear that Obsession is a TABOO subject, because whenever anyone ever mentions wanting a complete version, the thread in which it's mentioned slowly goes away. Can't understand WHY it's a taboo subject!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:40 pm 

I rest my case! Someone is trying to get this thread that mentions Obsession deleted! :evil:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next