[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The Loudness Wars... Getting Too Loud?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The Loudness Wars... Getting Too Loud?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:53 pm 

At first there was pop music in the sixties and the development of "normalizing", where the mastering engineers manipulated the levels literally in a compression method that located the loudest peaks in the music - typically for pop songs - and then raised everything else up as far as possible to make the entire song play at hot levels. Radio station DJ's loved it. It is still in use today, only now it has literally become a "war zone", and is actually referred to in engineering circles as the "loudness wars", where artists are determined to have their songs mastered at the hottest possible levels over other artist's recordings and so forth.

The method has several different names: normalizing, compressing, dynamic compressing. Some listeners now have coined the term brick-walling. The process literally compresses the dynamic range of the music, losing all of the clarity and nuance in favor of just being loud. In pop music it is neither a wrong thing or a right thing, it is just a thing. BUT... in orchestral music, it sure seems like a wrong thing. And it is a sound I personally just can not stand.

Sadly, somewhere along the way a handful of film composers adopted the method, and certain labels have embraced it as well. For me it has ushered in a generation of dreadful sounding soundtracks where the orchestra no longer sounds like an orchestra but instead like some sort of mechanical mass of distorted noise with virtually no clear orchestral timbres.

It is hard to mention the technique without at least naming a few names. With all due respect to the respective parties, it is a sound that Brian Tyler utilizes and I find it a challenge to enjoy. The two Expendables albums are impossibly frustrating for me, especially since the scores are great and sound great in their respective films. I want to enjoy the otherwise spectacular Quo Vadis re-recording made by Tadlow but the mastering is so heavily normalized that virtually everything plays too loud. The climaxes of the marches are actually distorted to a point where the trumpets and horns are indistinguishable from the loud noise. Add an overdose of low end and reverb and the results don't appeal to me. In a new digital-age recording of a large orchestra and all of the colors it produces, this is not the sound I think we should be getting. I appreciate it has become a matter of taste but it just is not my taste.

I am happy to see Varese Sarabande bringing back a lot of great albums from their past catalog, but I am equally saddened that so many of them now sound worse in my opinion than did the original releases. Somehow, even the electronics of Runaway lost something when all of the wide dynamic range Goldsmith originally achieved was later squeezed into a narrow range just to make the album play louder. This also frustrated me with the later incarnations of The Fury, where only the original Arista album (and the first CD releases of it) retained what I felt was the sound Williams and company originally captured at the time. There are many others. Sometimes it is done because the hiss has been squeezed out of the recording, then a heavy dose of reverb and/or EQ gets applied to help make up for the limited sonics after artificial noise reduction has been utilized, and so forth. By the time the album gets to my ears, the music is as artificial as the techniques applied to re-create it. I personally will always prefer natural and realistic sound, hiss and all, over the unnatural processed, compressed... well, you get the idea.

The sound after normalizing actually changes the dynamics of the instruments in relationship to each other because it is a process that compresses the entire audio, in effect turning that incredible sound of an orchestra with all of the amazing colors and nuances and varied dynamics into a headache-inducing loud mechanical beast. Literally a wall of sound where even quiet parts are louder than they should be. It even affects our Once Upon A Time albums. I appreciate it is an artist thing... it just isn't my thing.

Joe Tarantino, our engineer for the last 25 years, says to imagine it visually by thinking of Bart Simpson's head with all of those squares, and then realize that normalizing literally does that to the wave forms: it cuts everything off at both ends and turns the audio into the equivalent of Bart's head. It may not matter that much in the contemporary music scene, but it sure has a negative effect on the orchestral scene. And it just isn't necessary. Maybe on the techno-driven film scores, but on purely orchestral ones, especially classics from the past, it just makes no sense.

It is something I have never encountered in classical recordings. I hope I never do. But sadly, the pop industry's "loudness wars" have invaded the soundtrack scene. I, for one, am not thrilled about it.
--Doug

Post subject: Re: The Loudness Wars... Getting Too Loud?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:14 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
In classical music, the general idea is usually to produce a most natural sound image, so dynamic range compression is as of yet not on top of everybody's mastering priorities... fortunately.

However, most pop artists I have ever heard talking about the issue seem to be against go-for-broke-loudness mastering themselves. Bob Dylan distastes it, Guns N' Roses prefer natural range (interesting article here: http://www.gatewaymastering.com/gateway ... ssWars.asp ), Nirwana fans on the net have protested over the brickwall sound of the latest masterings, and so on... the list is long.

No one seems to prefer music mastered according to the louder-is-hotter-is-better-and-more-louder-even-better philosophy, no one. Or is there one here taking the other side? Anybody?

If it's a matter of taste, there should be some who prefer their music to be sonically limited to increase loudness.

Last edited by Nicolai P. Zwar on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:34 am 

Yup, re-masters don't always sound better, esp. with pop stuff. Some albums have been re-mastered three or four times, & the latest one is not always the one to have.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:20 pm 

*cough cough* Hans Zimmer *cough cough*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:52 pm 

There's a good video on this subject: http://turnmeup.org/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm 

This is definitely a problem that has bothered me for many years now and not just with film music. I'm a huge metal fan too. My CD collection from the very early 80s up until about '93/'94 sound fantastic. Gradually after that each year they kept getting louder and louder until the point where I just gave up.
It should not be fatiguing to listen to a CD from start to finish.
There is one company (Earache Records) that I am aware of that is actually re releasing some of their back catalog in "Full Dynamic Range". This is a metal label taking steps to combat this atrocious addiction to louder and louder mastering. The records they have been releasing with this F.D.R. treatment are death metal records to boot. This is a genre of metal known for being loud, raw and distorted, but not the way records have been "crushed" by engineers the last 20 years. Yes you have to turn the volume knob up, but the dynamics are there and these records sound fresh and rejuvenated.
I hope more and more people start seeing/hearing that this practice is an abomination and is killing good records. We can always hope for a better master of an old score if the tapes are still good, but what about the new ones that are recorded at an insane volume to begin with? Once the peaks of a sound wave are clipped that music is GONE. No amount of mastering in the future is going to get it back.
There is a lot of good information about dynamics and the loudness war over at: http://www.dynamicrangeday.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:41 pm 

Chris Malone, who works with us a lot on restoring older music tracks, sent me a letter with a very good point which I will paraphrase: Composers work hard to incorporate nuances and dynamics in their music, conductors work hard to get them into the performances, session engineers strive to capture it all as realistically as possible on tape... and then someone comes along and destroys all that effort in the CD mastering process.

Since there is so much opposition to the dreadful sound this normalizing causes, and so few proponents of it apparently, I can only hope that certain composers and labels will get the message.
--Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 am 

Perhaps the only explanation left why the masters are getting louder and louder is because the mastering fellows themselves have to somehow justify their existence. A brickwalled master sounds obviously different from a full dynamic master, even a tone deaf executive manager would notice that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:55 am 

I hope the newest Tadlow release (QBVII) isn't normalized....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:19 am 

I found all of the Tadlow Recordings of late enormously successfull, both in terms of interpretation as well as sonically.

In any case... Tadlow recorded QB VII???

Holy smoke, they did. Wow, that sure is good news, I'm definitely up for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 am 

It is a very unfortunate trend, and I'm so glad that most of our labels, such as Intrada, do not adjust the dynamics beyond what is necessary.

Those dynamics are what give a recording life and shape.

A loud trumpet blast interrupting a quiet passage was written that way to give the listener/viewer a jolt.

I purchase a film score album partially because of the drama inherent in many scores. I want that jolt.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:50 am 

I believe that Doug alluded to the reason that normalizing first began when he said 'radio DJ's'. Didn't this all begin
in an effort to make the Pop or Rock songs cut through the sound of a moving car when we all listened to them on AM
radio back in the days (1960's at least)?

Then there were the 45 rpm singles we all bought.

Normalization did what it was supposed to do for these formats and venues. But why O why QUO VADIS?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next