[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Top 200 Favorite Single Cues

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Top 200 Favorite Single Cues
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:27 pm 

Yeah, that did get your attention, dinnit? :P As a fact, a list of my favorite 200 single tracks does exist, but I will molest you with just the upper 25:

1- "The Ride of the Rohirrim" - The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
2- "Parth Galen" - The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
3- "Harry in Winter" - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
4- "Foundations of Stone" - The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
5- "Dying Station" - Babylon 5 - Sleeping in Light
6- "Building the Crate" - Chicken Run
7- "Theme from Schindler's List (Reprise)"- Schindler's List
8- "The Enterprise" - Star Trek - The Motion Picture
9- "Chariot Race" - The Prince of Egypt
10- "Adagio and Transfiguration" - Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within
11- "Duel of the Fates" - Star Wars - Ep. I: The Phantom Menace
12- "Deep Blue" - Deep Blue
13- "The Grand Finale" - Edward Scissorhands
14- "Alexander's Entry into Pskov" - Alexander Nevsky
15- "Victorious Titus" - Titus
16- "Main Titles" - Quigley Down Under
17- "Finale" - Once Upon a Time in the West
18- "Off to Gorgon" - Small Soldiers
19- "The Sonnenscheins" - Sunshine
20- "Ashitaka and San" - Princess Mononoke
21- "19 de Julio" - Under Fire
22- "Finale" - Citizen Kane
23- "This Day Forth" - Farewell to the King
24- "The Land" - East-West
25- "St. Patrick's Day" - The Quiet Man

Yes, I have too much time on my hands...thanks for asking! ;)

Some of your choices, please?

Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:42 pm 

Okay, I'll bite-- but it's in the making, in no particular order; I'll try and justify my choices...

"Pillow Talk" (Basic Instinct)-- wonderful eroticism with not a hint of sleaziness

"The Enterprise" (Star Trek-- The Motion Picture)-- grand, noble

"Jenny" (The Rocketeer)-- lovely, delicate, romantic

"Looking at Heaven" (Tombstone)-- the wonderful waltzy love theme and the thrilling rumbling heroic theme

"The Inner Light" (Orchestral Suite-- "The Inner Light", Star Trek: The Next Generation)-- most beautiful and elegant

"Passacaglia" (Battlestar Galactica, Season 1 of the new series)-- same as above; both are simple yet bewitchingly beautiful

"The Grand Finale" (Edward Scissorhands)-- beautiful melancholy grand finale, which makes for a moving conclusion with the images

"Flying" (E.T.)-- like "The Enterprise", there's a majesty to it, yet in a "simple" way (ie, not overdone, in-your-face majesty)

"Love Theme from Superman" (Superman)-- my favorite love theme (Basic Instinct's being my favorite physical love theme); there's something quiet, gentle, soothing, yet soaring as well

"All Time High" / "That's My Little Octopussy" (Octopussy)-- my favorite of Barry's Bond songs-themes; as always with him, there's a wonderfully natural flow to the melody

"Romance for Guitar and Orchestra" (Deadfall)-- beautiful

"Claudia's Theme" (Unforgiven)-- the simplicity, the beauty, the soaring strings... and personal reasons

"Steel Magnolias" (Steel Magnolias)-- Delerue's wonderful melody sensibility and extraordinary knack for incredibly beautiful themes

"Open for Business", "Reading the Letters", "Care of the Spitfire Grill" (The Spitfire Grill)-- lovely Americana

"Building the Barn" (Witness-- the orchestral version featured on the Maurice Jarre at Abbey Road album)-- beautiful, with a great build-up (quite natural too; it literally builds up, grows, as the cue develops)

"Maid Marian", "Marian at the Waterfall" (Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves)-- Kamen wrote a very very nice, quite delicate, love theme

"The Riddle's Solved / End Credits" (Young Sherlock Holmes)-- Broughton at his melodic best; as I said for Goldsmith & Williams, there's a lot of elegance & class to his music

"Lost in Space" (Lost in Space)-- a thrilling, exciting, energetic Broughton cue

"The Bad Boys" / "Car Trouble" (Looney Tunes Back in Action)-- marvellous proof of Goldsmith's genius and dedication to the end: a splendid, exciting Western-flavored theme; an exciting, incredibly energetic, precisely, intricately orchestrated action piece

"Ba' Ku Village" (Star Trek-- Insurrection)-- one of Goldsmith's loveliest cues, if not the loveliest

"Theme from Powder" / "Everywhere" (Powder)-- wonderful music, great beauty, awesome climax

"The River", "Growing Up", "Pony Ride" (The River)-- deliciously refreshing, joyful Americana

"The Water is Wide", "Gale's Theme (Main Title)", "Family Reunion (End Title" (The River Wild)-- Goldsmith did wonders with this traditional song; i love that theme, the superb, gentle way he arranged it

"Main Title" (The Yakuza)-- let's be original a minute, shall we? I would have to check in order to specify other titles; I love the theme and I love the mysterious opening of the album, those whatever-they-are, sort of hanging-wylophones-whatever-you-call-them or something, which were often featured in such things as Columbo episodes of the period

"The Plan" (original version), "A Deal / End Credits" (Extreme Prejudice)-- extremely cool, exciting action by Goldsmith, with a great, dramatic build-up to wrap it up

"Twin Peaks Theme" (Twin Peaks)-- marvellous, gentle, most soothing, beautiful, peaceful theme

"Tennessee" / "Brothers" (Pearl Harbor)-- an incredibly sumptuous theme by Zimmer; there's a lot of heart in there; like Goldsmith, Williams, Broughton, ..., the best of the best's, there's an incredible simplicity and elegance to this theme

"Always a Winner", "When You've Gone Away" (Babe)-- most beautiful melancholy music, quite moving; as always, simple and elegant, carefully balanced (no over-the-top melodrama)

"The Fields of Ambrosia" (The Traveling Executioner)-- same as above

"The Getaway / Riding As One", "We'll Be Back" (Silverado)-- quintessential Western music by Broughton; listening to it this afternoon, I was struck (and pondered starting a thread here about) how important the percussion are, beyond crash-bang effects and punctuation; they are an integral part of the music, its evolution, of the melody in a "can"t take it away nor modify it" way

... and a lot more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:23 pm 

"Anvil of Crom" (Conan) - very powerful piece of music and very appropriate.

"Ecstasy of Gold (The Good, The Bad & The Ugly) - IMO, one of the finest pieces of music ever written for film.

"Yeager's Triumph" (The Right Stuff) - very emotional stuff here. Gives me chills everytime I listen to it.

"Arctic Whale Hunt" (White Dawn) - very rousing piece of music. Can see the orchestra really getting into it.

"Finale" (On the Waterfront Symphonic Suite) - Wow! What A Finale to a GREAT film!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Main Title" (Rudy) - A very lyrical main title to a wonderful film. Type of tune you can't get out of your head.

"Main Titles" (Black Beauty) - First time I heard this I could not believe it was Elfman. Oingo Boingo's Danny Elfman? Say it ain't so. What a truly wonderful composer.

"The Ludlows" (Legends of the Fall) - I get a little tired of all the bad raps Horner gets. I love many of his scores and this one in particular gets my vote for one of his best.

"Introduction and Theme" (The Great Whales) - National Geographic it may be, but Holdridge is truly astounding with string compositions.

"Prelude" (Jason and the Argonauts) - Herrmann was a very original composer and was willing to experiment with different orchestrations. His use of primarily horns and percussion gave this piece of music a very heroic feel to it.

This of course only touches the tip of the iceberg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:57 pm 
Here's 25 off the top of my head. I'll have thought of another 25 by the time I come out of the shower!

Between Heaven and Hell: Don't Argue / Desperate Journey, Hugo Friedhofer
Captain from Castille: Conquest, Alfred Newman
El Cid: Finale, Miklos Rozsa
Cutthroat Island: It's Only Gold, John Debney
Empire of the Sun: Cadillac of the Skies, John Williams
The Final Conflict: The Hunt, Jerry Goldsmith
The Final Conflict: The Second Coming, Jerry Goldsmith
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Ecstasy of Gold, Ennio Morricone
How the West Was Won: Overture, Alfred Newman
Jurassic Park: Journey to the Island, John Williams
Krull: Ride of the Firemares, James Horner
The Last Valley: Death of the Captain, John Barry
The Lion in Winter: We're Jungle Creatures, John Barry
North by Northwest: Main Title, Bernard Herrmann
The Omen: The Demise of Mrs Baylock, Jerry Goldsmith
Once Upon a Time in the West: Man with the Harmonica, Ennio Morricone
Playing By Heart: Vows Renewed / Playing by Heart, John Barry
The Right Stuff: Yeager's Triumph, Bill Conti
The Rocketeer: Rocketeer to the Rescue, James Horner
Spiderman: Main Title, Danny Elfman
Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Enterprise, Jerry Goldsmith
Star Trek II: Battle in the Mutara Nebula, James Horner
Star Wars: Throne Room and Finale, John Williams
To Kill a Mockingbird: Main Title, Elmer Bernstein
Wild Rovers: Bronco Bustin', Jerry Goldsmith[/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:32 am 

Join our Patreon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:30 am 

I love making lists, too. Just a few off the top of my head, far from being complete:

John Barry - excluding his songs for once:

Main Titles - THE LION IN WINTER

The Herb Garden - THE LION IN WINTER

Fun City - MIDNIGHT COWBOY

Alpine Drive - GOLDFINGER

Main Titles - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

Airport Source - DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER

Try - ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

Flight In Space - MOONRAKER

Hip's Trip - THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN

Searching The Bomb - THUNDERBALL

Oddjobb's Pressing Engagement - GOLDFINGER

Into Miami - GOLDFINGER

Air Bond - THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS

John Williams

Training With George - THE EIGER SANCTION

Belly Of The Steel Beast - INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

Dracula's Death - DRACULA

Arlington - JFK

Main Titles - THE TOWERING INFERNO

Bernard Herrmann

Prelude - VERTIGO

Scotty Trails Madeleine - VERTIGO

Conversation Piece - NORTH BY NORTHWEST

The Airport - NORTH BY NORTHWEST

The House - NORTH BY NORTHWEST

The Death Hunt - HANGOVER SQUARE

The Ferry - OBSESSION

Prelude - THE BATTLE OF NERETVA

The Turning Point - THE BATTLE OF NERETVA

Jerry Goldsmith

Main Title - THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY

Break Out - CAPRICORN ONE

Runaway - BREAKHEART PASS

Main Titles - TOTAL RECALL

The Mutant - TOTAL RECALL

This Is Science - HOLLOW MAN

Border Crossing - THE LAST RUN

Claudie's Stockings - THE LAST RUN

Theme - PAPILLON

The Camp - PAPILLON

Gift From The Sea - PAPILLON

James Horner

The Ambush - CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER

David Shire

Main Title - TAKING PELHAM 1 2 3

The Raid - RAID ON ENTEBBE

That's all for now, folks!

"If music doesn`t sing, or dance, or have an interesting harmonic concept, then it shouldn`t be there at all. A film score should burn with its own fire, not merely glow in the dark like a pretty charcoal." – John Barry, 1972

Last edited by chris1770 on Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:05 pm 

Only on the 4 major recent composers, otherwise it would take too much time, and I'd become mad... :lol:

John Williams

Asteroid Field, The Empire Strikes Back
Adventure on Earth, E.T.
Luke & Leia, Return of the Jedi
The Big Rescue, Superman The Movie
Raiders March, Indiana Jones
The Ultimate War, Hook

Alan Silvestri

My First Bus Ride, The Mummy Returns
Theme, Back to the Future
Bud on the Ledge, The Abyss
Council Chaos, Judge Dredd

James Horner

The Ascension, Cocoon
The Flying Circus, Rocketeer
Casper’s Lullaby, Casper
The Execution, Braveheart
The Launch, Apollo 13
Samuel’s Death, Legend of the Fall
Al Bathra, Courage Under Fire
The Train, The Legend of Zorro

Jerry Goldsmith

Have a Nice Trip, Explorers
Gremlins’ Rag, Gremlins
First Flight, Night Crossing
Twisted Abduction, Poltergeist
Everywhere, Powder
The Enterprise, Star Trek
Suite, Supergirl

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:01 am 

Just some off the top of my head:

"Helicopter Chase" (The Fugitive, James Newton Howard)
"Blake Gets The Point" (Ricochet, Alan Silvestri)
"Las Vegas/End Credits" (Rain Man, Hans Zimmer)
"Zoom B" (Mission: Impossible, Danny Elfman with an assist from Lalo Schifrin)
"Roxy Loses" (Basic Instinct, Jerry Goldsmith)
"Promise Me" (First Knight, Jerry Goldsmith)
"...And The Blind Shall See" (Sneakers, James Horner)
"Bowed Down," "Pilot Over" and "Escape From Torture" (all from Rambo: First Blood Part II, Jerry Goldsmith)
"Into The Starscape" (The Last Starfighter, Craig Safan)

Oh, and good calls on the ones above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:09 am 

just to add a few more of the usual suspects (how could I forget them in the first place?):

Alfred Newman

- Cheyennes from HOW THE WEST WAS WAN
- Main Titles from AIRPORT
- Main Titles from BRAVADOS

Franz Waxman

- Ride To Dubno from TARAS BULBA
- Rumba from REAR WINDOW

Lalo Schifrin

- On The Way To San Mateo from BULLITT
- Hunt Down from MANNIX

Victor Young

- Maria: "In the evenings, we'll make love." from FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Max Steiner

- Cody's Letter from THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

Georges Delerue

- Camille from LE MÉPRIS
- Adagio de l'adieu from DÎÊN PÎÊN PHÚ

Ennio Morricone
- Maddalena from MADDALENA

to be continued later...

"If music doesn`t sing, or dance, or have an interesting harmonic concept, then it shouldn`t be there at all. A film score should burn with its own fire, not merely glow in the dark like a pretty charcoal." – John Barry, 1972

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:26 pm 

In no particular order:

The Ecstasy of Gold - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Ennio Morricone)
The Part of a Lifetime - Moon Over Parador (Maurice Jarre)
Momma's Back - Moon Over Parador (Maurice Jarre)
The Kings March - The Man Who Would Be King (Maurice Jarre)
Symphonic Suite for Chorus and Orchestra - Part I - Red Sonja (Ennio Morricone)
Finale Ultimo - How The West Was Won (Alfred Newman)
Battle Montage - Farewell to the King (Basil Poledouris)
Denouement/End Title - Flesh+Blood (Basil Poledouris)
Prelude - King of Kings (Miklos Rozsa)
An Invitation to the Ball - The Count of Monte Cristo (Edward Shearmur)
The End of All Things - LOTR:ROTK (Howard Shore)
Block War - Judge Dredd (Alan Silvestri)
Transylvanian Horses - Van Helsing (Alan Silvestri)
Battle of the Heroes - Star Wars: Ep.3 (John Williams)
The Dance Of The Witches - The Witches of Eastwick (John Williams)
We Have All The Time In The World - OHMSS (John Barry)
Hercules Takes Off - The Living Daylights (John Barry)
Joe Bass ands the Scalphunters - The Scalphunters (Elmer Bernstein)
End Credits - Joe vs. the Volcano (Georges Delerue)
Fall Of Managua - Under Fire (Jerry Goldsmith)
A Kaleidoscope Of Mathematics - A Beautiful Mind (James Horner)
The Greek Army And Its Defeat - Troy (James Horner)
The Flying Circus - The Rocketeer (James Horner)
A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted - The New World (James Horner)
The Train - Legend of Zorro (James Horner)
Hollywood Boulevard - Mighty Joe Young (James Horner)
Riding The Firemares - Krull (James Horner)
Samuel's Death - Legends of the Fall (James Horner)
The Dream - Total Recall (Jerry Goldsmith)
End of a Dream - Total Recall (Jerry Goldsmith)
Mulan's Decision - Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith)
Harry In Winter - Harry Potter 4 (Patrick Doyle)
Frank's Out - The Recuers Down Under (Bruce Broughton)
Mucchio Selvaggio (all) - My Name Is Nobody (Ennio Morricone)
Overture - Cleopatra (Alex North)

to be continued...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:03 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]