[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Soundtrack Production Costs

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Soundtrack Production Costs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am 

Are you guys making a funny? There would be SUCH screaming.

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:50 pm 

Well, I said I didn't speak for the majority.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:57 pm 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:30 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:07 am 

Golly. All this from a little post about money. You would think I touched on something sensitive. (Ok, bad joke.)

One thing some listeners don't seem to get though. The cost of manufacturing is NOT cheaper. Sure, ordering blank media has come down in price. But if I were a betting person I would bet no one would buy our discs if they were just blank.

It's like a book publishing friend once told me. He got asked why - when the cost of paper was only nominally more expensive today then it was 20 years ago - the books he was now buying were twice as expensive, three times as expensive even! So the publisher asked the reader to name a book he had purchased lately to cite an example. The reader stated he had just purchased the latest Stephen King novel. The publisher said "I rest my case."

The costs of getting a studio like Walt Disney to license and then locate and provide priceless vault materials is what has increased. It's the royalties that have increased. It's the mixing and editing and mastering costs that have increased. It's the per track fees going to the publishers that have (greatly) increased. It's the cost of the MUSIC that people are buying that has increased, not the blank media itself. Unless you want blank discs, you do have to accept that the costs of making CDs have gotten higher.

A little horn-tooting here, perhaps, but over these last 28 years, I have watched us go from the nearly impossible to the commonplace in getting soundtrack rights. We now work regularly with every major studio. Every one of them. And just about every minor one as well. Yes, getting the partnership with Walt Disney is probably our crowning achievement here. And having them - once a studio that kept it's doors closed to everyone - now willing to let us make CDs to Hocus Pocus, to say nothing of The Avengers or Toy Story 3 or Lone Ranger or whatever... well, it's certainly worth my continuing to chase down as much obscure and not-so-obscure film music just to make it available to you guys going forward, $20 per disc or not. To paraphrase General Patton referring to war in the movie Patton: "God, how I love it so."

Ok, I don't even know if my post made sense or not. But it was fun to write. :D
--Doug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:44 am 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:08 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am 

There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful to Intrada and the other dedicated labels for releasing so much film music over the years and the effort put in to these releases. I always thought the pricing was always fair and would happily pay $25-30 for a single CD release. You deserve to make money considering the niche market. Keep up the great work. Thank you to all for the JG releases especially.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:45 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:44 pm 

Charge $25 for a CD? Ahhhh, oh so tempting... but, nay. Us guys here at Intrada are near-penniless soundtrack collectors as well. We know how hard it is to come up with money to buy all these CDs nowadays. And we wouldn't dream of making money in this business. We wouldn't even know what to do with the extra money anyway - probably just go out and buy every La La Land release.

Oh, wait. We already do that. :D
--Doug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:39 pm 

for me it isn´t about if a CD costs 20 or 25$..it is if it is a great product that is being released and something I have craved for a long time. I will NEVER pay for a download thing but a true CD I gladly spend some hardearned cash on...
I buy from almost every label and love the amount of great music that is being released and know how important it is to support all the labels so they can continue releasing great CDs.

If the price for a CD would raise to 25$ I would still continue buying , but maybe be alittlebit more selective than before in what I buy...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2