[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE MIRACLE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE MIRACLE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:35 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE MIRACLE
Music Composed and Conducted by ELMER BERNSTEIN
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 243

The Miracle was one of the most ambitious and significant scores of Bernstein’s early career. The composer acknowledged its importance when, responding to numerous fan requests, he chose it as the first of his own scores to re-record for his pioneering Film Music Collection in 1974. That LP featured about 27 minutes of the score. But until now, the original tracks from Bernstein's score have never been available. In an article for his Film Music Notebook, Bernstein explained: “The score for The Miracle was composed in the late fifties and represents the conclusion of the lessons learned during my apprenticeship with C.B. DeMille on the religious spectacular. In fact, The Miracle represents the last score I did in this particular style as it is the last film I scored with a religious theme.”

The early 19th-century setting and the Spanish locale provided new opportunities for Bernstein. “The style of the music is somewhat reminiscent of The Ten Commandments,” he wrote. “The sound is ‘big’ in the old sense. The [musical] ‘mise-en-scène’ is romantic-symphonic. The score differs from The Ten Commandments in that The Miracle is considerably more romantic and the fact that the period is early 19th century provides a freedom of expression one does not enjoy in a biblical context.” This will hit the listener right way, when the principal theme is introduced during the main title in a lush, romantic setting.

This premiere release of Bernstein’s score on this 2-CD set for The Miracle was mixed and mastered from monaural dubs of the orchestral and vocal tracks archived at Warner Bros. originally on ¼˝ tapes, transferred to 2˝ as part of a preservation project in the 1990s.

The Miracle started in the Middle Ages with a 13th-century Spanish legend: a nun leaves the convent to pursue earthly temptations while a statue of the Virgin Mary comes to life and takes her place until she— transformed into a sorrowful penitent—returns.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 243
Retail Price: $24.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8094/.f [available at 4 pacific]

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Elmer Bernstein's THE MIRACLE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:19 pm 

FANTASTIC release! I am already sold on buying this one just from listening to the sound samples, and the artwork is just awesome! Intrada, you guys have done it again; you have sold me on a soundtrack release that I have never even heard of before, but will definitely be picking up! ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:24 pm 

Listen samples just now - and have little problems with sound on track 1 (about 00:48-00:50).
Hope it's not on CD - just samples mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 am 
Very clear sound with the Bernstein power that has one cowering in a corner at times.

This is certainly in a completely different league than the FMC recording.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:17 am 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 am 

The samples are simply gorgeous, thanks Doug for posting them ! I wasn't familiar with this old Bernstein score but now it's on my buying list !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:23 pm 

Doug and Roger, thank you so much for this release. My jaw dropped when I read about it on Facebook, and the samples are magnificent. I thought this was also one of those rarities that would take a long time to see the light of day and I am anxiously waiting for my copy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:42 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:21 am 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 pm 

Received my copy on Thursday and have been enjoying it greatly the last two days. It may be mono but it's BIG, expansive, clean mono with lots of dynamic range and having that great punchy Warners soundstage acoustic. Listening to this, I have come to view this as Bernstein's "Max Steiner Score," unashamedly full of large scale emotion, a transition from Golden Age to Silver Age.

Thanks to Neil, Lucas and Doug for gifting us with this Bernstein treasure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 pm 

This is a terrific release! I knew this score only from the rerecording… which means, I didn't really know much about this score. But now I do. Thanks, Intrada!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:30 am 

Well, my CD arrived, and I still hear something wrong on Main Titles (sounds like sound volume changes a little).

Here the link - can anyone else hear this?

https://soundcloud.com/blofeldyar/main-title

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:54 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next