[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Would Intrada Ever Consider . . . ?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Would Intrada Ever Consider . . . ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:07 pm 

. . . pressing vinyl again? It seems to me that there is a real market for albums again. As many of us started with the record album I never stopped collecting them, keeping busy buying records wherever I can. Still, it would be hard not to notice an upswing in record sales being made.

Re-issues of the first 4 or 5 Bond albums, DRIVE, SKYFALL, THE GREAT GATSBY, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, the list seems to keep growing, double albums of DJANGO, POLTERGEIST, old horror films like MANIAC, and now, at LA LA LAND'S signing of an album from DAY OF THE DEAD (along with a CD release).

So from your insider's perspective, "What's going on here?"

Post subject: Re: Would Intrada Ever Consider . . . ?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm 

I'm not sure, either. I do know I'm buying a lot more vinyl for current feature films than I have in the last couple of decades. I just received a copy of the soundtrack to SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN by Rodriguez (Oscar winning Best Docu.) on the Sony/Legacy label. So I'm thinking, "There's got to be a niche within the niche- and it's me."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 pm 

They'd rather go forward than backward, by stepping into the HD world, with Blu-Ray audio discs... ^^

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 pm 
While I have no interest in vinyl soundtracks, I do wonder what sales are like for those offering them. Are they just manufacturing a couple hundred or so?

In addition to those who grew up with the format and never lost fondness, there seems to be a decent number of hipsters out there who dig it as a newfound interest. More power to them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 pm 

If I had a choice (and the industry seems to be putting out feelers), I'd buy the vinyl. Not that I'm crazy about digital recordings on an analog LP. People have their grails- mine would be, let's say, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. As happy as I was to get a recording of it, how much more it might have been. Double LP, gatefold cover, big pictures and liner notes that open and rest on your lap as you listen to the record from start to finish. All these great scores from the 40's. 50's, 60's. They were made for analog repro but everyone's happy with digital, but I think digital is going to go the way of 8 Tracks.

Pop music for download. Pop music for your mobile device. Albums for music lovers, that's all.

Say, wasn't Disney involved somehow with last year's TRON vinyl release? On record day it sold out immediately along with a re-issues of T-Rex and the soundtrack to Moonrise Kingdom by Mothersbaugh. There were like four different versions, I feel lucky having one. Soundtracks being made today are either for people who never got rid of their vinyl collection (like me) or for the curious, the casual record buyer and usually for twice the money you'd have to shell out for a CD, but nobody seems to mind.

You can get just the song you want for nickels and dimes. And when it's run its course, you can delete it.

But vinyl, contrary to popular belief, is forever. It may never reign supreme like it once did way back in the 60's and 70's, but sometimes these things are cyclical and the industry seems like it looking to tap into a "new" market, which is the 20 somethings of today. I swear, if Intrada, or Screen Archives started releasing limited vinyl editions of their back catalog, I'd chuck my CDs out, without thinking twice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:34 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
I do own quite a few soundtracks on vinyl, but I have never ever bought into the theory that vinyl has an inherently better sound than CDs, and direct comparison between the original LP to a newly remastered CD version of the same recording rather confirms that theory.

LPs have nice large, covers, yes, but after collecting them for a while, you need a lot of room to store them, too. For me, the only thing that would make me buy a vinyl these days is for display purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 am 

I don't think we are ever going to see Blu-Ray audio discs.

The disc format is dying out, nobody is going to move to a new one. CDs will hang around for as long as there's still a real demand for them, i.e. I see them hanging round a while yet, but I don't see ANYBODY bringing out a new disc format. Not with where things are moving.

Rather, I see CDs hanging on while hi-def audio becomes the domain of download and 'cloud' based ("ultraviolet" style) services.

And once CD die-hards work out the only way to get new and hi-def material is to go to the new model, CDs will finally become a little-supported niche.

Am I the only one who remembers the, "LP forever, CD never" movement? Where are they now? More to the point, how big are their soundtrack collections? There came a point where you embraced CD or you stopped buying music. The same will happen with the "CD forever, download never" movement. Not that I want it to go that way, I don't. I like CDs. But I see the writing on the wall and I see history repeating itself.

People keep arguing, "They said vinyl wouldn't die, and it's actually taking off again!"

Well, yes to a point. To all who make that argument, good luck finding all your Intrada, FSM, Kritzerland, La-La-Land, etc, releases on vinyl.

Sadly, I love vinyl and I love CD, but reality bites.

Last edited by Stephen Woolston on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:40 am 

All that said, if there WAS a novelty 180gram vinyl issue of an Intrada product, the one I'd fancy is THE BLACK HOLE.

Please don't ask me why, I can't explain it logically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:50 am 

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:25 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:21 am 

The Amazing Mr Blunden. If only...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:13 pm 

If I might add to my above posts, all of these soundtrack albums, I realize, are for collectors, even the re-issues, and most, if not all of them are limited in quantity. Somewhere between 3-5,000 units. Those numbers sure sound familiar. And while they are priced higher than its CD counterpart, they tend to sell out really quickly.

Go figure.

Last edited by EUGENE IEMOLA on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:41 pm 

My computer is malfunctioning, the keyboard freezes after a few minutes. Wanted to chime in with a few words... USB turntables seem to be the reason why so many people have been hitting the vinyl racks. I buy vinyl recordings whenever I can and have purchased some nice LP's and EP's recently.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next