[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Poltergeist II: Complete & Remastered!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Poltergeist II: Complete & Remastered!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 am 

Thank you for your commentaries Roger and Doug. I will maybe give a chance to this Kritzerland CD ! So what about the placement of intruments, compared to the digital master previously used ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:15 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:10 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm 

Thanks for this info Doug.

I'm very happy to hear that the original recording still survives in good shape!
Then there's hope for a definitive release on this one! :D
(if it is not asking too much... the sequels scores are also great...)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 pm 

That's wonderful news, Doug, about Jaws. I've had some back-and-forth with Roger lately about it, and I think danbeck's words echoed my own very nearly verbatim. Not only were the Decca score tracks heavily compromised, but the MCA album tracks on the existing CD (from about 1990 I think) suffer from the opposite problem: excessive tape hiss. While it's fantastic the three-channel sessions survive, presumably in great shape, I'll now echo danbeck by asking for the whole enchilada to be properly preserved before any more time passes. I can't think of a better candidate for a two-disc release. Please.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:31 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm 

I'd only previously heard this score on its own on the Varése album, and the reverb and super hot mastering made it a slog. The dynamic and clarity of the new version made it a much smoother listen to me, and I engaged with this score in a manner I hadn't before. Indeed, I think I originally was comparing Poltergeist II to the first film's score, which was much more visceral and romantically emotional. Although there definitely are bursts of the emotionality of the first film here and there, this one seems more like Goldsmith writing in his more modern “intellectual” mode, as for a mystery or science-fiction movie.

I really hope a remaster of Jaws — both the score and the LP, will happen someday soon. Neither one of them sound very good on their respective CDs, and both deserve better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:09 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 am 

Or just a 3CD set...

1. Complete score (Remastered)
2. Alternates, etc.
3. Original album (remastered)

JAWS 2 deserves its own release.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am 
Excellent news regarding Jaws; hopefully something can be done with those unadulterated elements sooner rather than much later.

When it comes to Universal films, many people's collections will seem much more complete if definitive releases of the Airport and Jaws series of scores become available.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 pm 

Personally when it comes to Universal-controlled scores, there is a ton that still need definitive treatments, IMHO:

Jurassic Park, The Lost World, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Schindler's List, Always, Jaws, Jaws 2, Jaws 3, Jaws 4, Dracula, Born On The Fourth Of July, Back To The Future 2, Pete N Tillie, The Sugarland Express, Earthquake, Somewhere In Time, Pursuit of DB Cooper, The Thing, The Dark Crystal, Psycho 2, the original Psycho, The Last Starfighter, An American Tail, Out Of Africa, Backdraft, Army of Darkness, Apollo 13, Waterworld, Dante's Peak, Mystery Men....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:03 pm 

I'm not sure that a third disc would be needed for Jaws by itself — the score itself runs under and hour, and the album is only about 35 minutes or so. Plenty of room for any notable extras on both discs.

Of course, if Jaws II were also to be included…

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:28 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next