[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's CONGO

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's CONGO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

INTRADA
Announces:

CONGO
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 220

Jerry Goldsmith took the unusual step of opening the 1995 Paramount film Congo—a high-tech and violent, special effects laden action film—with a song. “Spirit of Africa,” performed by Lebo M, starts the adventure, providing the seed for a long-line adventure melody that plays throughout the score. The approach may seem counter-intuitive—creating a bright and sunny opening for a movie about murderous gorillas, and yet Goldsmith also wrote some of his most ferocious action music of the ‘90s as well. He surrounded the film with a magnificent theme for French horns; a beautiful line for Amy, the gentle gorilla; and the stirring work for orchestra and chorus with Lebo M that frames the score. Peppered throughout are exciting and explosive sequences that give the score a striking edge.

When it came time to selecting highlights for the Epic Soundtrax CD that coincided with the picture’s release in 1995, Goldsmith left off much of this exciting action music. In fact, he selected approximately 25 minutes of the score, framing the 33-minute album with “Spirit Of Africa,” just as he did the film. Absent were the propulsive “Meet Monroe Kelly,” the brief but intense “The Eye,” the riveting “Amy Has Bad Dreams” and, perhaps the most aggressive cue, “Help Me." The use of music in Congo was altered during postproduction more extensively than usual, but compliments of Paramount, Intrada had access to the complete unedited sessions, allowing for the inclusion of every re-scored or deleted sequence.

The film follows a high-tech expedition searching for a missing group that was testing a diamond-powered communications laser in the rain forests of Congo in Africa -- the previous group having been decimated by mysterious, unknown creatures. Accompanied by the gorilla Amy (trained to speak in sign language), the explorers travel to the ancient city of Zinj and after they too come under attack, they discover that mutant, albino gorillas—bred specifically to guard Zinj’s diamond riches—now slay any humans that trespass on their city.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 220
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7956/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's CONGO
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:02 pm 

Woohoooooo!!! Happy New Year! Never ever thought I'd see this happen! Thanks, guys! :D

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm 

Hell yes! My guiltiest of guilty pleasure movies... what a nice way to start off 2013. :D

Thanks and ordered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:24 pm 

That's quite a surprise! I love it!
Very nice artwork, too.

A great start to the new year.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 pm 

It's almost 18 years since my one viewing of this one, but I've still gotten plenty of play and pleasure out of the abridged release of the score over all these years. An expanded CONGO is most welcome -- thanks very much, team!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 pm 

One of my favourities scores of all time. THANK YOU, Intrada!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:46 pm 

Never owned the original but loving those samples. As many know, I'm not a huge fan of Goldsmith compared to most people here, but it looks like Intrada's gone two for two here (after Hoosiers which I very much love).

Curious about the Newton Howard track....I assume the liner notes talk about why it's by him?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 am 

Great way to kick start the New Year
I think 2013 will be very interesting indeed
CONGO is a nice surprise guys, thanks Team Intrada for another Goldsmith to the collection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 am 

What a treat! Thank you, Intrada, for making this release happen--a very underrated score from Jerry, indeed. Paramount--you're making a lot of dreams come true; keep it up! Thank you, Bruce Botnick, Joe Sikoryak, everyone involved. It looks to be a stunning package, and I'm looking forward to unwrapping it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:51 am 

Doug/Roger,

What is the reason for "The Collapsed City" being in the bonus track section instead of within the main flow of the score?

Thanks for another great release!

-Jay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:52 am 

Double post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:59 pm 

Great to see this score get the treatment it deserves...thanx guys

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:05 pm 

My copy has been ordered. :)

The OST CD is a lot of fun to listen to, even with the whacky track listing (which is confusing at best).

This seems like the ideal companion piece to The Shadow, great themes, and lots of fantastic action and epic scoring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 pm 

Ordered so quickly I can't even recall doing it. YAY!!! Also picked up Michael Small's POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE. Great music is soon to be had!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 pm 

Ordered myself a double-deuce of Goldsmith, CONGO along with HOOSIERS.

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next