[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Presents SEVEN DAYS IN MAY/THE MACINTOSH MAN

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Presents SEVEN DAYS IN MAY/THE MACINTOSH MAN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm 

Announces:

INTRADA Announces:

SEVEN DAYS IN MAY
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH

THE MACKINTOSH MAN
Composed and Conducted by MAURICE JARRE

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 235

John Frankenheimer’s emphasis on realism in the 1964 production Seven Days in May provided composer Jerry Goldsmith with an unusual challenge. Goldsmith gave the film what is likely his shortest score for a feature film—only a handful of cues totaling eleven minutes in the finished film. After a tense main title (with drums evoking the role of the military as the film’s “bad guys”), Goldsmith’s music appears only occasionally, and always to help maintain tension. He contributed longer cues for two major sequences: a suspenseful scene of trailing to a secret rendezvous and exciting music for a daring escape from a secret base. His score features simple motifs and distinctive rhythms rather than fully developed melodies, using similarly sparse orchestration, featuring only pianos and percussion; its closest cousin in the Goldsmith oeuvre is his music for the “Time Out” segment of Twilight Zone: The Movie. Intrada's release features the premiere release of the score in stereo, including a few minutes of score not used in the film and an alternate main title, all totaling 17 minutes.

As Seven Days in May unfolds, a series of seemingly innocent messages among top U.S. generals about the upcoming Preakness horse race leads Col.“Jiggs” Casey (Kirk Douglas) to uncover a military plot to overthrow the U.S. government. Casey and beleaguered President Jordan Lyman race against the clock to foil the imminent coup, finding obstacles at every turn.

For the 1973 Warner Bros. film The Mackintosh Man, Maurice Jarre provided a distinctive and memorable main theme reminiscent of his then-recent score to another international espionage thriller filled with moral ambiguity, Alfred Hitchcock’s Topaz. The theme has a strongly European flavor befitting the setting, with prominent use of the cimbalom, a zither-like instrument whose unique sound has been a memorable part of the soundscape of such spy films as The Ipcress File. For the first part of the film, the music glides along dispassionately, but once Paul Newman's hero Joseph Rearden's mission goes south, Jarre drops the detached approach and lets his music reflect the hero’s state, providing eerie, unsettling variations on his main theme.

In the film, Paul Newman plays Joseph Rearden, an intelligence agent working for an English spymaster named Mackintosh. Under Mackintosh’s orders, Rearden assaults a London postman in order to steal a fortune in jewels—and ends up (as intended) with a twenty-year prison sentence. It is in prison that Rearden’s real mission begins. He encounters an infamous double agent named Slade and a gang of criminals called “the Scarperers,” whose specialty is breaking out long-term prisoners. The Scarperers help Rearden and Slade escape together. To confirm his suspicion that high-ranking politician Sir George Wheeler is a double agent, Mackintosh informs him of Rearden’s mission to expose the Scarperers. The plan works too well—Rearden is severely beaten by his “rescuers,” and Mackintosh is put in the hospital by a hit-and-run driver, ultimately dying of his injuries. Rearden manages to escape from the Scarperers, and with the help of the beautiful Mrs. Smith, Mackintosh’s daughter and assistant, he tracks Wheeler and Slade to Malta.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 235
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7974/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Presents SEVEN DAYS IN MAY/THE MACINTOSH MAN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:07 pm 

Is there no hope for David Amram's rejected score then :?:

THE PRISONER

Last edited by tharpdevenport on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:46 pm 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:51 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:11 pm 

JUST ORDERED! I am happy with the way the cd was presented with Jarre's Macintosh Man. Nice sound samples.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:13 pm 

A truly astounding release! I saw both films on first release, loved the music, and to have both of these scores on one disc is just tremendous beyond words! I can't thank Intrada enough. Ordered of course, thanks again everyone at Intrada. Ordered! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 pm 

SWEET!!!! THANK YOU INTRADA, my top 2 favorite composers on 1 disc???? You made my month...on the 1st at that!!! Very grateful & excited for this disc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:35 pm 

Again Intrada hits the bullseye, thanks again :D for this wonderful release.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:56 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:03 pm 

Hey, Doug, Roger, & Hamsters:

Usually I don't bother with "Ordered" posts. But I'll let the team know that my delighted purchase of SEVEN DAYS IN MAY also represents two other copies you'll sell: to one friend with no computer (yeah, in 2013), and to a different friend who's out working this evening but has been crazed about this score since he saw the picture about 40 years ago! So I thank you for all your labor spent to deliver us this miracle. (Along with your faith that this 17-minute score won't lose money for you; I join you in that hope.)

I never saw THE MACINTOSH MAN but have already been on a Maurice Jarre streak lately, so the companion program makes a nice, free, welcome bonus for me!

P.S. Also took SHOCK TREATMENT/FATE IS THE HUNTER, which I had to wait until this week to pick up.

Last edited by Steven Lloyd on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:47 pm 

Thanks Intrada again for The Carpetbaggers, Seven Days In May and for me in special The Mackintosh Man, I'm great fan of Maurice Jarre and I am very happy with Intrada has done about my beloved composer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 pm 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:01 pm 

From the FSM forum:

In case people are wondering: the rights to the rejected David Amram score for Seven Days at May were returned to the composer (except for a juke box source cue which is in the movie, but of little musical interest). The studio has no tapes. Perhaps an enterprising producer can contact Amram to see if he has any tapes, and interest in releasing. Incidentally, the Goldsmith masters for Seven Days at May were stored at Paramount, where the film was theatrically released, although the rights later went to Warner Bros. as part of the Seven Arts catalog. I am very glad Intrada was able to release this one, as well as The Mackintosh Man, which seemed like an interesting companion.

Lukas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:12 pm 

Roger, I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be when the first post in a thread for a new release you worked very hard on is asking about something that wasn't included without even the smallest hint of gratitude for what was included. The fact that you handled it with huge amount of grace you did is quite a feat, you must possess a huge amount of self restraint!

Thank you for another terrific looking Goldsmith release! It's getting to the point where there are more Goldsmith scores that I own than those I don't!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next