[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Christine Blu-ray (Isolated Score)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Christine Blu-ray (Isolated Score)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm 

Hello All,

I know Twilight Time's limited release of "Christine" on Blu-ray is a bit of a touchy subject for some of us (I myself was forced to pay an inflated price to obtain a copy, so I can definitely relate) but I was hoping to discuss the wonderful isolated score track on the disc, which was masterfuly done by Mike Matessino.

First let me say that I'm a huge Carpenter fan of not only his films, but his music too. The score he did for "Christine" (which sounds a bit similar, in some cases, to his score for "Halloween III") has always been overshadowed by the classic rock songs that were used to help score a good chunk of the film all on their own. But, for me, it doesn't take away my appreciation for JC's score. It has a nice mix of simplicity and dark, seductive allurement (much like the car itself) that has always drawn me to it. My personal favorite track (besides "Moochie's Death") has always been "Obssessed with the Car," which contains all those aformentioned qualities to a tee.

What was nice about the old Varese Sarabande release of the music was that, though a bit out of order halfway through, the complete score was included. I was just never happy with the mastering of a bunch of the tracks because some of the harsher sounding tones of certain pieces always forced me to turn the volume down. So it was a joy to listen to the work Mike Matessino did on the isolated score and hear the same tracks sound much more pleasing to my ears without compromising a single note.

I also did a track by track comparison of the isolated score against the Varese Sarabande compact disc that gave me an even greater appreciation of the improvements in the sound quality. "Christine Attacks (Plymouth Fury)" is a good example, as the VS version sounded a bit washed out in some spots where the music switched back and forth in a sort of overlapping style. Always sounded very muddled to me. On the Blu-ray it sounded much richer and fuller.

For me, it was also a nice treat to finally get to hear the 2 tracks, "Junkins" & "Darnell's Tonight" combined together in all their isolated sounding glory, as both tracks were released seperately (and at different points) on the VS release. "Junkins" was used twice in the film. The first time is by itself, when Detective Rudolph Junkins is interrogating Arnie at Darnell's garage. The second time is later, when Arnie and Dennis go drinking and joyriding in Christine. "Junkins" literally segues right into "Darnell's Tonight," where I think they sort of overlapp slightly with each other. I loved how it sounded isolated on the Blu-ray, minus the stinger effect at the end of "Junkins" heard on the VS CD.

I'd also forgotten that, while the track, "Buddies Death," lasts a total of 1 minute and 27 seconds on the VS CD, only the last 52 seconds, or so, of it are used in the film (right as we see Christine's POV of the road as she's chasing after Buddy). I'm guessing Carpenter felt the sound of the explosion, during that scene, didn't need the added scoring attatched to it, and I think he was right too.

Anyway, I had a ball with the isolated score and really enjoyed listening to and discovering all the subtle differences between it and the old Varese CD. I am salivating at the prospect of this being re-released on CD in newly remastered form. Does Varese own the rights to the score in perpetuity? If so, I definitely need to know when their next Club CD releases are expected to come out, as it's a sure bet (like they did with Maurice Jarre's score to "Enemy Mine" shortly following the film's Blu-ray release) that "Christine" will be among them. Again, kudos to Mike Matessino for all the great work he did on the isolated score. (JC fans should also check out his isolated score for "Big Trouble In Little China," on Blu-ray, that was also used for the now out of print La La Land CD soundtrack release). I wish he could work on more scores of Carpenter's films ("Starman," "The Thing," "Escape From New York," etc.). They would surely benefit from it.

Sincerely,

Alan1

Proper tracklisting of "Christine" score in film order:

01. Arnie's Love Theme (1:44)
02. Obsessed with the Car (2:07)
03. Football Run / Kill Your Kids (2:42)
04. The Rape (1:10)
05. The Discovery (1:30)
06. Show Me (2:36)
07. Moochie's Death (2:25)
08. Junkins (3:33)
09. Buddies Death (1:27)*
10. Nobody's Home / Restored (1:44)
11. Talk on the Couch (1:23)
12. Junkins / Darnell's Tonight (4:18)
13. Christine Attacks (Plymouth Fury) (2:30)
14. Undented (1:54)
15. Regeneration (1:25)

* - only last 52 seconds of this track are used in the film

Unused tracks from the old Varese Sarebande release:

Car Obsession Reprise (1:53)
Arnie (1:01)
Moochie Mix Four (2:26)

Post subject: Re: Christine Blu-ray (Isolated Score)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 pm 

Wow.

I swear, I thought I could see a tumbleweed rolling by my screen as I clicked on this topic.

Not sure why that is really. I thought there'd be some interest in this subject and, in the past, I've received some really nice positive responses on here from some very cool people who were kind enough to speak to me.

I'm very passionate about this particular subject and simply felt like sharing that passion and enthusiasm with others who might be interested. (I put quite a bit of time and effort into it too.) But if no one is interested in discussing this topic, for whatever reason, I'll just delete it shortly.

No hard feelings. (really)

Thank You & Enjoy the Rest of Your Week.

Alan1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:04 am 

Greetings program!

Don't be too discouraged, Alan1. I often have that feeling when I post something and get no response at all. It's almost like I've done the forum equivalent of farting in an elevator, and everyone's politely ignoring me until they can get out!

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to snag a copy of the Christine blu ray before it sold out, and was fascinated to read your detailed breakdown. I'm a big fan of Carpenter's early synth work (not so much the 90s stuff), but I tend not to listen to Christine as much as others from the period because of the high-pitched sounds (my dog isn't a fan of them either!). It's interesting to hear that these don't seem quite so harsh on the iso score.

The task of assembling the iso score into an iTunes playlist is on my "to do" list, and I'm planning to use your tracklisting as a guide ... so please don't delete it! :D

Of course, the next Club batch might make my efforts redundant, in any case ... but I get a perverse kick out of doing these things ... :oops:

Conrad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 am 

For the record, I read this thread with great interest, and appreciation for
the obvious time & care that went into it - then something distracted me and
I forgot to respond ;)

Just kidding, good show, I haven't had a chance to watch my Blu of this yet,
but plan to very soon, and while I may not listen to the iso much, I'm glad we
have it.

So, thanks and cheers Alan1 :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 pm 

Good read, thank you for the effort!

I also hope for a Club CD since I love my Carpenter stuff and I only own CHRISTINE as a Varese Vinyl. Score only.

Mostly I listen to Escape fron NY and Halloween III. The Fog follows third. I also own PRINCE OF DARKNESS, THE THING, HALLOWEEN II, BTILC. The stuff after PRINCE does not interest me though.

BTW I am also a big fan of Tangerine Dreams FIRESTARTER. The film was once a next for John Carpenter. Too bad he didn't make it, the film would probably be much better...

Phil

Holy Grails: PSYIII/ESC TO ATHENA/M'RAKER/WILD GEESE II/NIGHTGEN

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]