[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Obscure Horror Film Scores that need a CD release

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Obscure Horror Film Scores that need a CD release
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:47 pm 
Two words: WITCHFINDER GENERAL by Paul Ferris!

Also: CRY OF THE BANSHEE, the original score by Wilfred Josephs.

And I wouldn't complain about seeing John Morris' THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS, nor Carl Davis' great FRANKENSTEIN UNBOUND either.

(Percepto, are you listening??!!)

By the way, does anybody know what is happening with the supposed deluxe DVD of WITCHFINDER that I heard about at least two years ago?

And actually, I'd like to know when we might expect ANY John Morris releases.... here is a guy who is truly underrepresented on CD.

Anyone else have a horror score or two they wish would get released?

NP: Marquis DeSade's Justine by Bruno Nicolai (a beautiful score)

Post subject: Re: Obscure Horror Film Scores that need a CD release
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:48 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:36 am 

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:02 am 

I don't know if it's obscure, but the original "Salem's Lot" score by the late Harry Sukman deserves a release. It would fit two CDs easily.

THE PRISONER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:35 am 
Yes, that´s a fine score, you´re correct.

I would also love to see Sukman´s Around the World Under the Sea and Welcome to Hard Times on CD, which are both no horror scores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:48 am 
Ahhh yes, Captain Kronos.... I second that motion! It's too bad that GDI basically folded up and is no longer releasing any more Hammer stuff. I'm sure they would have gotten around to Kronos, perhaps along with David Whittaker's Vampire Circus.... now that would be a great combo!

GRIZZLY is a very good score, although a bit Rosenman-like (you all know what that means). I have that LP, as well as a CD copy of it with some additional tracks. It has great nostalgia for me (the movie that is), but the score I would probably rate a 6 out of 10. The accompanying song, which thankfully isn't in the film (unless as source), is the most embarrasing thing I've ever heard-- avoid it at all costs!

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Les Baxter's horror scores.... they all work fine within the films, but I can't see listening to them seperately. They are mostly alot of shrieking, ear-splitting brass, and rumbling timpani. His "lighter" scores are much easier on the ears, like Master of the World and Goliath and the Dragon. Baxter's (re)score of Cry of the Banshee is unlistenable imo, and aptly titled for that.

the (gyne)kongologist :oops:

np: Heavy Metal 2000 by Frederic Talgorn (pretty gosh darn good!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:04 am 
Hmh, especially Baxter´s Poe scores have all wonderful themes and there´s much more than only shrieking violins and so on.

On the other side I think Joseph´s original score for Cry of the Banshee is boring stuff. He wasn´t a very good composer. Interesting how much people´s view differs on this subject. : )

Regarding Vampire Circus.

To my knowledge, the stuff on the GDI-Vampire-CD is all what have survived from this score. As for Hammer, I would also love to see Christopher Gunning´s Hands of the Ripper released. I don´t like James Bernard´s stuff. I was never a big fan of Bernard, who wrote some of the worst scores I´ve ever heard. But I have soft spot for The Damned or The Gorgon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:33 pm 

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance...that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
Herbert Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:34 pm 

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance...that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
Herbert Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:16 am 
Melchior: you're right, I had completely forgotten about Vampire Circus already having been released, albeit in mono and fairly brief.... oh well, there's still the great little (re-recorded) suite on the earlier Silva Hammer album. And I too second the vote for Hands of the Ripper, along with Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde .

Regarding Baxter: I suppose any CD releases would be welcomed, I would just hope they would be more listenable than the Citadel Cry of the Banshee is. I am actually a big fan of the Corman Poe films, and the scores are very good and highly functional. Apart from them.... I honestly wouldn't know, since there isn't one that's been released unless you include the above mentioned album. But I still would rather see an expanded release of Master of the World. :D

Who composed the score for the Ken Russell film THE DEVILS?

On the subject of Cry of the Banshee, I agree that the Josephs score is fairly subdued compared to Baxter's, but I suppose what it comes down to is that it's really a bad, unpleasant film any way you cut it.
I don't like that film, and this is coming from someone who LOVES Witchfinder General and even The Bloody Judge (despite the really really fake blood splashed throughout-- I didn't know blood was SO ORANGE-ISH! and SO THICK!!).

I would like to see a couple more Harry Robinson scores released, including The Oblong Box , and a compilation of the best cues from some of the Amicus anthology films, by....?

Finally, I agree that James Bernard scores are better experienced as part of the films than apart from them, with the exception of Taste the Blood of Dracula and She.

Kongoman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:08 pm 
kongologist,

the The Devils was composed by Peter Maxwell-Davies, his only other score was The Boy Friend. Both are available on CD.

Witchfinder General is indeed a fine score. I believe the masters are lost, but there is at least a rerecording of the prelude and the love theme on a Silva CD. Bruno Nicolai´s The Bloody Judge is also on CD but out of print I fear.

I must confess I don´t remember anything from Douglas Gamley´s scores for the anthology movies from Amicus, but I would love to have The Land That Time Forgot on CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:39 pm 

I believe that I mentioned this title in another thread, but I would also love to have the score to the 1993 film Doppelganger by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek released.

Tai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:36 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:13 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next