[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Any hope of expanding scores on Hollywood Records?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Any hope of expanding scores on Hollywood Records?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:28 pm 

What's specifically prompting me to ask is this thread I started over at FSM's board about what Goldsmith scores are left to expand:
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts ... &archive=0

This year I think you took care of the most urgent 90s title with your superb complete Shadow. There are, however, three wonderful Goldsmith scores on Hollywood Records, which since it's owned by Disney only Intrada has any chance of doing at this point in time: Deep Rising, The Ghost and the Darkness (a favorite of mine with some superb material missing), and Powder (which you've mentioned is a favorite of yours and your daughter's).

On the other hand all of your Disney-licensed releases on the Intrada label so far have only been previously-unreleased scores, and the only previously-released score expanded in the Disney/Intrada line is The Black Hole. So...can you offer us a little bit of hope about the chances?

I know another score that gets asked about a lot is James Horner's superb The Rocketeer, and I'm sure there are other scores worthy of expansion on Hollywood Records and other labels owned by Walt Disney Records...

Yavar

Last edited by Yavar Moradi on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Doug, any hope of expanding scores on Hollywood Records?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:37 pm 

I agree with all these scores needing remastered and expanded editions, especially Powder (one of Goldsmith's finest 90's scores ever). Disney is a studio I deeply admire, and one that features a ton of great material according to my own tastes; I am a huge fan of family-friendly films and their scores. Here's hoping we see a lot more from the studio in 2013. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 am 
There are some very good unreleased film cues in The Ghost and the Darkness that would make a re-release worthwhile.

That said, I'm glad that Intrada's releases licensed from Disney have thus far focused on scores that have not been previously released. I'm sure that almost everybody who wants every last note of their favorite scores via expansions will be catered to sooner or later.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 am 

Powder would be a splendid idea ! It's'one of my favorite Goldsmith score and there are many great cues missing from the original album. By the way this topic belongs to the suggestions board...
Rocketeer's album is not so much lacking of the important cues from the movie...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:08 am 

These cues were then rerecorded under the baton of Lionel Newman, and all but one were left unused in favor of the original soundtrack recordings. This premiere release features the complete score Rosenman sourced from a three-track split mono element and mixed reasonably for stereo for this release and all the rerecorded Goldsmith material.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:54 am 

It's not just Jerry Goldsmith scores that need expanding from that label although I agree they do need releasing. I can think of some scores that never had a release just "song" soundtracks and some that only feature 30 mins of music from 2 hour films.

Two examples being
An American Werewolf in Paris - Wilbert Hirsch
Alive - James Newton Howard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 pm 

I know there are other worthies besides the three Goldsmiths which prompted my post. I did mention The Rocketeer and will now mention my favorite Basil Poledouris score, Les Miserables. THAT really needs a new release: complete, remastered, with correct track times, shorter tracks (I don't need each and every small cue on its own track, but a 20 min suite is annoying if I want to go to a highlight), and how about some great Jeff Bond liner notes?

Other people are welcome to add to this thread and it's okay if it's moved to the other board...it was originally meant to be an inquiry into whether Doug could ever get access to Disney Records-owned albums.

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:53 pm 
Perhaps also directing the question towards Roger would help since he seems to be on the forum more often. Something tells me that he would know a thing or two about this. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 pm 

Good idea. It does seem lately that Doug is posting as much as Roger. On the other hand, I think Roger takes point on a lot of the licensing whereas Doug's busy on the actual production, mastering, etc...

Yavar

Post subject: Re: Roger, any hope of expanding scores on Hollywood Records
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:29 pm 

Yes, our partnership with Disney allows for sub-licensing titles from their associated label catalogs as well. BUT... keep in mind there are countless projects we want to see happen. That includes working on restoring timeless classics, numerous nature documentaries, the unreleased scores from the sixties, seventies and eighties, expansions of stuff on the Disney and Hollywood labels (like The Ghost And The Darkness, of course) as well as being their physical media label for new pictures like The Avengers, Toy Story 3, including exciting upcoming titles under consideration now. We'll be working at all this stuff for years to come!

We also have to work at a pace that our partners at Disney can accommodate AND that we can manage as well, especially since we're now working with every major film studio on an average of four projects a month.

The hamsters here can only do so much... even if I coax them into productivity with extra food pellets. And I've tried! They still demand breaks, vacations, holidays and whatnot. Sometimes they even just spin around on treadwheels in their cages. It's not always a pretty sight, either. Unreasonable critters these hamsters can be. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:45 pm 

Having said all that, is there even a remote chance for something like a 2 or 3CD set of "Ducktales" (Ron Jones, and the pilot score by Chase & Rucker)?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:05 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 pm 

Well, maybe one day I'll be able to grab on to some duck tales. :?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 pm 

Why not David Newman's Ducktales first ? ^^

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 pm 

I'd rather have Ron Jones myself. He wrote a lot of great 'stock' music for it, as well as specific music. I remember not being too impressed with Newman's score....but alas that's "no". Not that Disney has done any better with it, what with never releasing the final volume on DVD...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next