Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Miklos Rozsa's THE RED HOUSE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:59 pm 

So of course it turns out the whole thing actually CAN fit on one CD (it's 81:56, I have at least two discs longer than that). Shame Intrada had to spend more money when not needed...

Doesn't take away from the fact it's a fantastic recording of great music, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00 pm 

TerraEpon wrote:
So of course it turns out the whole thing actually CAN fit on one CD (it's 81:56, I have at least two discs longer than that). Shame Intrada had to spend more money when not needed...

Doesn't take away from the fact it's a fantastic recording of great music, though.

I think this has been addressed elsewhere that CD manufacturers will not guarantee CDs longer than 78 minutes and that you lose the ability for the CDs to play on all players universally. Since we are a professional label, we stick to industry standards. So no shame on our part.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 pm 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
I think this has been addressed elsewhere that CD manufacturers will not guarantee CDs longer than 78 minutes and that you lose the ability for the CDs to play on all players universally. Since we are a professional label, we stick to industry standards. So no shame on our part.

The only place I've ever heard that is from film score labels. I have many classical CDs -- including ones from Universal (i.e. a major label) that are over 80 (and certainly 78 as the limit seems off considering the number of FSM ones over 79)

But again, I guess it's your label....and hardly the first time you've had more CDs than needed...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 am 

TerraEpon wrote:
Roger Feigelson wrote:

The only place I've ever heard that is from film score labels. I have many classical CDs -- including ones from Universal (i.e. a major label) that are over 80 (and certainly 78 as the limit seems off considering the number of FSM ones over 79)

But again, I guess it's your label....and hardly the first time you've had more CDs than needed...

You need to get out more! See this on Red Book standards with some reasons why a label might deviate. Universal of course presses their own discs, so they can guarantee themselves. We use a third party pressing plant. Read this and be educated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_%28CD_standard%29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am 

TerraEpon wrote:
Roger Feigelson wrote:

Remember--it may be two CDs, but priced at only $19.99. So, what's the problem? :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:19 am 

Azella wrote:
TerraEpon wrote:
Roger Feigelson wrote:

Remember--it may be two CDs, but priced at only $19.99. So, what's the problem? :)

The problem is when an album isn't produced to one person's personal specs, they get upset.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm 

I prefer two discs, maskes things even more epic and your getting the best quality and less compression.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 pm 

Marvdogger wrote:
I prefer two discs, maskes things even more epic and your getting the best quality and less compression.

Um, do you know what digital means?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:41 pm 

Sorry, what are we complaining about? Shelf space? The agony and tedium of swapping discs in the player? The color scheme clashes with the wallpaper? Not enough holiday cupcakes in the kitchen?

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:47 pm 

TerraEpon wrote:
Roger Feigelson wrote:

Roger said on "all players universally", not all CD's themselves won't play on one or two players. You can have 69 bazillion CD's, that doesn't mean anything if you have a couple players. Not all players will play longer CD's, so since you never know what new models and brand will do this, and there's possibly not a listing of olders one that can't play longer CD's, it's best to play on the safe side.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:06 pm 

TerraEpon wrote:

You speak not from the point of the manufacturing plant (as we have to do) nor as a record label ensuring the product is playable in stand alone CD players, cars, boom boxes, computer drives, whatever. We manufacture according to our plant specs. And no matter what you want to believe... CDs at 81 minutes are NOT guaranteed by most plants. So we released the score on two discs for the price of one.

There is no shame on Intrada's part.
--Doug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm 

--Doug

I"LL say. This release is stunning. Listen to that score and let's talk about THAT.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 pm 

Roger Feigelson wrote:
So no shame on our part.

Quote:
--Doug

Is it "Great minds think alike", or just hampster-itis?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 pm 

And don't get me wrong, I agree as I said it's a FANTASTIC release. I'm very happy you guys did it (and the rest of your Excalibur recordings for that matter).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 am 

This is definitely one of the best releases I have received so far. Thanks to Intrada, I have been introduced to the Golden Age of movies, but this is only the beginning of my collection of Golden Age film scores. Even though this is my first, it is now one of my favorites at the moment. So, thank you Intrada, Roger, Jeff, Allan Wilson, and everyone involved in the making of this wonderful album. And thanks to the man who wrote the music, Miklos Rozsa.