[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Bernard Herrmann's NORTH BY NORTHWEST

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Bernard Herrmann's NORTH BY NORTHWEST
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

NORTH BY NORTHWEST
Composed and Conducted by BERNARD HERRMANN

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 207

The 1959 Alfred Hitchock film North by Northwest features one of the most famous Bernard Herrmann scores from the Hitchcock/Herrmann collaboration. The score is no stranger to being on record, with highlights recorded and even two full album rerecordings available. Even the original tracks had been previously released in 1995. What separates this release from the pack is the dramatically superior sound quality, making this the definitive release of the original soundtrack. It's the final word on a world-class, colorful score in a release featuring classic artwork from the film's original campaign.

As collectors know from the 1995 Rhino CD of North by Northwest, the cues containing Bernard Herrmann’s magnificent “Overture—Main Title” and related action pieces suffered some deterioration. In 1999, the 35mm masters were retransferred by Chace Productions Inc.for a Warner Home Video DVD restoration, yielding significantly better audio results than the previous transfer done in the early 90s. This provided Intrada with access to much better sources to reassemble and present the score in it's best form yet.

North By Northwest was the fifth feature film collaboration between Alfred Hitchcock and Bernard Herrmann. The score can be broken down into three broad areas: the main title and its reprises during action sequences; the slowly evolving love theme which seems to stall in neutral throughout much of the picture; and numerous suspense cues which keep the audience guessing about the direction the story is taking. The “Overture—Main Title” is one of Herrmann’s most engrossing main titles. Singularly lacking a melody, it derives its power from the conflict created by the juxtaposition of three simple ideas: a whirling, arpeggiated 6/8 figure; a hammering, insistent motif in 3/4 time; and a two-measure figure treated sequentially. The tension between the changing meters and the two key centers (about as far apart, harmonically speaking, as one can get) keeps the listener disoriented throughout and provides an unforgettable anchor to the score.

In the film, Cary Grant plays Roger Thornhill, a self-absorbed, shallow Madison Avenue executive caught up in a high-stakes game of cat and mouse, relentlessly pursued from New York to South Dakota by foreign operatives who have mistaken him for a (non-existent) U.S. agent.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 207
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7688/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Bernard Herrmann's NORTH BY NORTHWEST
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:37 pm 

Damn! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:45 pm 
It sounds spectacular. I can now dump yet another less than stellar Rhino release.

Love the secondary artwork.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm 

Can I just note that clicking the not-yet-working 600x600 cover link led me to a Russian dating site? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been very happy with the McNeely re-recording, but I may just have to investigate this new release. If only to keep the hamsters happy...

Well done, Intraders! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm 

A very welcome release.

BTW "informative notes by Frank De Walk" (on the Intrada site) should read "informative notes by Frank DeWald."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:33 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:42 pm 

I actually am fond of the original recording and its nuances. The Rhino cd was greatly welcomed but I felt that the damaged tapes on the rousing fandango sequences unfortunately ruined my listening experience on that cd. While The Joel McNeely easily is the best re-recording and a thrilling release on it own; supported by a terrific performance of the orchestra. I had often wondered when the the DVD with the isolated channel sported an all new clean sounding cues including the fandango sequences; I was hopeful that they would at last issue the album from that source.

After the dvd and its blu-ray counterpart (which looks stunning in the latter format) I was expecting this turn out eventually. It finally has happened. So kudos for Intrada for resurrecting this all time classic Herrmann.

My question is did the same source tapes were used as the ones on the dvd/blu ray or are these entirely newly discovered master tapes? And if so why did it take so long to get this out on CD whereas I vaguely remember the good sources used on the dvd isolated were found roughly a a year after the old Rhino cd.

Last edited by azahid on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:36 pm 

Very happy to see this from the improved sources!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:09 pm 

Wow, just amazing news. Ordered, of course. What a treasure this score is!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 am 

Awesome presentation guys
Another great classic done the Intrada way :D
My dollars are coming to ya North by NorthWest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:25 am 

Many thanks for another goodie!

Just out of curiousity: does the Intrada release contain ten minutes more music or does the difference in total playing time (see soundtrackcollector) result from the wrong timings on the tray card of the old Rhino/EMI CD?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:18 am 

An AMAZING release! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 am 

And so my wishlist grows and grows ... I have to get this ... thanks a lot, Intrada! You are the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:28 am 

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was NOT expecting THAT much of an improvement in the sound, but.......................WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This puppy is SO ORDERED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great job, Doug(Even though you hate me!:( )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am 

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next