[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - How many Goldsmiths are there left?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: How many Goldsmiths are there left?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:06 pm 

So, I have two obsessions: making lists and the music of Jerry Goldsmith. The first is irrational, but I suspect the second is one with which many forum members will sympathise. Ever since Mr. Goldsmith's passing, those who enjoy his music have had to satisfy their yearnings for new discoveries by scouring his back catalogue. I've made some wonderful discoveries there myself over the past few years, much thanks to great labels like Intrada. But there's always this nagging fear in the back of my mind: at some point, the back catalogue will be exhausted! Still, there's a long way to go yet ... but just how many more wonderful expansions like Intrada's release of Hoosiers are there to go?

Well, I thought I'd spend some time assembling a list so that fans like me could have a quick reference. I've restricted it to films or TV movies. I know there's a lot of good TV work to be had, too, but I was rapidly approaching the character limit for a post in the forum, so had to make some concessions. I thought this might be a good place to (good-naturedly) debate the relative merits of particular scores and recommend less familiar titles.

Note that I've included links on many of the 'Available' titles that will take you straight to the Intrada store ... just in case you make a discovery and have to act immediately.

Some caveats: I've probably missed some things and made mistakes. I'm only human. Let me know and I'll edit my post. Yes, I'm aware that completism for its own sake (either in the form of 'C&C' albums or blind buying a composer's complete catalogue) is not always a good thing. And, yes, I'm aware there are other composers out there who should get our attention too. :D

Herewith, the list!

Conrad

P.S. A big 'thank you' to Mark Hammon for enabling table tags and making this post possible!

Last edited by Conrad on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:51 am, edited 31 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How many Goldsmiths are there left?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 pm 

There's also hours of unreleased TV scoring, including six episodes of "Gunsmoke", one from "Wagon Train", one from"Black Saddle" (including the theme music), and many others.

And other rejected scores, such as: a complete "Timeline", "The Public Eye", and the mostly recorded score to "domestic Disturbance", and a few small others.

Then there's also -- I can't recall the name, it was mentioned by him in that multi part interview on Youtube -- a score for some story book.

He scored some radio dramas too, didn't he?

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:31 pm 
La-La Land's release of the Not Without My Daughter score is complete.

Excellent work.

I am more than happy with almost all of the Goldsmith scores that remain incomplete. One that I would really like to see expanded and remastered is Gremlins 2. I would to a bit of a lesser extent also like Psycho II and The Ghost and the Darkness to get a revisit.

I must say that it is almost criminal (hyperbole, folks) for the Capricorn One film tracks to remain out-of-print.

Players, The Boys from Brazil and The Brotherhood of the Bell/A Step Out of Line were blind purchases that I am forever delighted to have.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm 

There's some tracks missing from Varese "The Vanishing" limited edition.

"Police Story" should also be listed as "incomplete", since he scored more episodes than the pilot.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm 

Fantastic table! Very clean and informative. Thank you for doing it. Also, I really enjoyed seeing the 'Available' links pointed to Intrada's own store. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:33 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:41 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:03 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:11 pm 

For future reference, CRIMEBUSTERS is the title of two episodes of CAIN'S 100 that were edited into a feature released overseas, so it HAS been released, so to speak, by FSM.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:35 pm 

Didn't we just get "Warning Shot" from Lalaland?

My sense of fair play wishes that there was a way of indicating completeness that was more informative than COMPLETE or INCOMPLETE as the latter implies that, for example, Intrada was asleep on the job when they put out the great-sounding LP on CD when no other elements were available. I suppose some sort of wildly complicated coding system could be devised to make it clear what might be expected to come out at some point and what, according to rumor, is lost forever but I'm not sure how much bookkeeping you're willing to do. A special indicator could be for things like "Satan Bug" in which case we have all the music but about 2/3 of it is from a less than optimal source. My head's spinning already!

Very handy piece of work as is, though, and I have no qualms about referring to it any time I feel the need. :D

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:13 pm 

Here are just a few quick updates for your list:

Intrada's A PATCH OF BLUE (1965) is, I believe, complete.

OUR MAN FLINT (1966) - Varese Sarabande's release of the original tracks is incomplete. [IN LIKE FLINT (1967) might be, also.]

THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS (1966) - The LP program (probably incomplete) WAS issued, as half of the Mainstream label's CD of STAGECOACH.

HOUR OF THE GUN (1967) - All CD issues are the LP rerecording, which is not the complete score. (The film tracks have never been released.)

THE BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE (1970) - Even though it IS a short score, the Varese release is incomplete. (The booklet notes make no mention that the disc is missing perhaps the opening half of its cue "The Guest" -- one of my favorite sections -- as well as two very brief cues elsewhere, PLUS another for Hogue's meeting with Claudia's husband Clete at the corral. Also, the disc presents an alternate and inferior take of the main-title vocal.)

Nice reference work, Conrad, and a clear labor of love. Now you can get even closer to perfection!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:40 pm 
Speaking of Stagecoach, it is perhaps best to update it for the La-La Land CD that was recently released. It is available and significantly superior to the FSM release.

Rio Lobo was also recently re-released by La-La Land with additional music.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 am 

"Police Story" still needs work. You only have theme and pilot listed, but when you edited it for "incomplete", you forgot to tag on after "pilot", something like "multiple episodes", because the Prometheus release may be the complete pilot score.

THE PRISONER

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next