[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - How many Goldsmiths are there left?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: How many Goldsmiths are there left?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:54 pm 

THE PRISONER

Last edited by tharpdevenport on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:12 am 

Thought I'd spend some of my lunch hour updating this ... I've added 'The Red Pony' and a link to the new 'Hour of the Gun' re-recording :D . I've also listed 'Two Days in the Valley' and 'A Step Out of Line/Brotherhood of the Bell' as 'Out of print' :( .

Shout if I've missed anything ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:09 pm 

Hi Conrad. Great work. I'll have to update my related post of "improvable" Goldsmith titles over at FSM soon (think I'll wait to see if Hoosiers comes out first):
http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts ... &archive=0

Some suggestions/corrections:

1. I wouldn't say for Hour of the Gun, "UNRELEASED (2012 Prometheus/Tadlow re-recording is available)" -- after all, that seems to ignore the album that came out in the 60s (and which was reissued on CD by both Intrada and Varese). According to Doug this is not the film recording but a re-recording very faithful to the film orchestrations (aside from the semi-pop re-arrangement of the main theme, which the new Prometheus/Tadlow also recreates). If there's some way you can make note of both recordings that'd be good but surely even if you only make note of the most complete recording (the Tadlow) you can't say or ever have said "UNRELEASED" for this score.

2. Intrada recently cut out City of Fear at the same time as Step Out of Line/Brotherhood of the Bell, which you can see if you follow the link you provided (not sure if they or 2 Days in the Valley are available elsewhere though). And I'd point out that Rent-A-Cop will soon be joining those three...

3. Face of a Fugitive was 1959, not 1957 (it was his third score and City of Fear was his second).

4. For Seven Days in May I'm not sure if you'd want to include it or not, but since it's a short score it was included complete as a re-recording on BSX's album, Goldsmith Rarities Vol. 1

5. I think Von Ryan's Express is indeed complete as it's a short score but one could check the iso score on the film release to be sure...I think the Detective situation is similar.

6. I'd change Adrian Messenger, The Salamander, and Take Her, She's Mine, simply to "UNRELEASED" as they haven't been released on any format (they aren't just "UNRELEASED ON CD" like The Lonely Guy or Sebastian).

7. As I just indicated, Sebastian isn't "UNRELEASED" but was in fact released on LP by Dot Records, though its only CD release has been on the semi-bootleg Harkit label. Lukas Kendall told us to avoid that release because somebody was putting together a superior, licensed version of the score...hope that's still happening: http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/21171/Sebastian

8. The Last Run is most certainly NOT complete and Lukas Kendall (who put out the reissue on FSM) stated that the original film recording was lost and that the existing album program was an abbreviated re-recording (ie, the same situation as with the original Hour of the Gun)

9. The Going Up of David Lev is on the other hand indeed complete.

10. Twilight's Last Gleaming is indeed incomplete (though missing very very little music).

11. MacArthur was released on LP, an (incomplete) re-recording rather than film tracks if I'm not mistaken, in 1977, reissued on CD by Varese.

12. Lonely Guy was released on LP and cassette only at the time of the film (1984) and did have Goldsmith cues on it, but only a little over 5 min. plus a song he worked on. You are indeed correct about it being unreleased on CD, and could certainly warrant an expansion: http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/28 ... Guy%2C+The

13. I believe The Vanishing is complete and I think Poltergeist II may be as well.

14. I was told at FSM's board that Six Degrees of Separation was in fact expanded for the album release, so it's more than complete as compared with the film.

There are probably more corrections that other people could help you with as I'm not sure that Jerry actually wrote original scores for all the things you list, but as I don't have conclusive knowledge I can't boss you around on those. :) I would make the final suggestion though that even though you're avoiding unreleased TV series music (though Crimebusters is kinda a cheat) I think it would be good to make room in the list if possible for all of his TV music that HAS been released (ie. Man from U.N.C.L.E., Jericho, and especially his substantial work for Dr. Kildare).

Yavar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 pm 

Actually, I think it's Fierce Creatures that was expanded for the album, not 6 Degrees.... but I might be mistaken!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:44 am 

Hi folks

I've finished an 'end-of-year' update to the list to incorporate as many of Yavar's excellent revisions as I could and, most importantly, to update and add a link for Hoosiers.

What a great year for Goldsmith releases - as well as myriad others, of course! My thanks to Intrada for their wonderful contributions to the ever-growing list of expanded and remastered albums of the composer's scores. In particular, I'd like to thank the hamsters for managing to get 'Hoosiers' all the way to me in the UK before Christmas - which I never expected. It made for a fantastic surprise present, and one that I'm enjoying as I type. :D

Happy New Year to everyone - here's to another banner year for Intrada in 2013!

Conrad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am 

Thanks for correcting some of those. I guess we'll both be updating our respective lists tonight when Intrada gives us another definitive Goldsmith!

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts ... 747#bottom

Yavar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 pm 

Here's hoping, Yavar! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 pm 

In two or three years all there might be left to release are obscure TV series scores and radio dramas he did music for. It's going to be like FSM closing shop: eventually there'll be a countdown number, and boy when the final one is reached, there's going to be some sad Goldsmith'ers.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:22 pm 

I won't be sad when that day comes; I'll be ecstatic! And besides, other than Jerry there are a few other composers I'm a "bottlecap collector" for, so I can just ask the same question about them at that point:

Basil Poledouris
Alfred Newman
Hugo Friedhofer
Roy Webb
Patrick Doyle
Cliff Eidelman
Bernard Herrmann
Miklos Rozsa (yeah, he's certainly come a long way but if we consider re-recordings there are many more scores to get out)

Plus, if the demand for Goldsmith continues, maybe even his more obscure stuff that doesn't exist any more on tape could start getting re-recorded (ie. there's all that radio stuff and TV stuff as you mentioned)...hey, I can dream, can't I?

Yavar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
I am by no means a bottlecap collector just for the sake of having everything by particular composers. However, there are composers that I do seemingly buy just about everything of because I genuinely have a thorough enjoyment of almost all of their released scores. Ron Goodwin, Alex North, Basil Poledouris, John Scott, Dave Grusin, Charles Bernstein, Quincy Jones and Lalo Schifrin immediately come to mind.

A number of TV composers like Gil Melle, who unfortunately have so little released, also apply.

I do have most Goldsmith releases, which says a lot given just how many there are. The widespread adoration of his work is certainly justified.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:07 am 

Poltergeist II should be listed as "incomplete". although the deluxe edition added 6 minutes to Intrada's previous expanded edition (and all the more important tracks are included there's still some short pieces missing (such as the music for the Poltergeist flashback and Diane's nightmare after she discusses with her mother, the music for the scene at the restaurant after their escape and a a short piece right before "the vorm"). Also missing are the film versions (ie without the choral) of wild braces and vomit creature.
I also think in the film there's a low choral missing for scene in which Steve swallows the vorm that is not included in the Cd, but I'm not sure on this one as it is very low.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:37 pm 

I wonder if there's any hope at all for complete releases for Varese Deluxe Edition titles that aren't complete. I'm sure Varese wouldn't re-release anything they'd already put out a "Deluxe" for...

I guess the answer is that there is hope for some, because Intrada obviously released the definitive Great Train Robbery this past year after the disappointingly incomplete Varese DE (which wasn't a limited Club title but a regular release in stores; so I would've expected it to be held in perpetuity by them...)

So when Varese re-released Poltergeist II did they buy the rights in perpetuity at that point (like they did for Planet of the Apes even though Intrada had already released an expanded version), or would it be possible for LLL or Intrada to give us a Poltergeist II with all of the complete score and alternates (and maybe have that one track people argue about with and without the phone ringing...)

Personally I'm most curious about the first Omen score as I'd love to have the unreleased music from that. (Omen II was complete though it had some audio issues and The Final Conflict I'm pretty sure Varese controls forever because Masters Film Music did the original album).

Yavar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next