[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's THE SHADOW

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's THE SHADOW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE SHADOW
Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 204

Universal Pictures' 1994 The Shadow allowed composer Jerry Goldsmith to put his imprimatur on the darkly gothic phase of the superhero genre that developed in the 1990s. Writing for a large orchestra, Goldsmith created a score that found the perfect mix between heroism and menace and resulted in one of his longest scores. Goldsmith’s main title music introduces many of the score’s core elements: an unnerving pitch bend, played by synthesizers; a grandly powerful brass melody for the Shadow; and a bouncing electronic figure that will become a key rhythmic device throughout the score. Goldsmith’s classic-sounding Shadow theme and the score’s large scale orchestrations complemented the film’s period setting and lavish look, while the composer’s trademark electronics helped better position the film for a contemporary audience.

When the original soundtrack for The Shadow was released in 1994, it presented only a fraction of Jerry Goldsmith’s hour-and-twenty-minute score, reducing the composer’s wealth of action material to two cues and barely hinting at the complete score’s range and scope. In particular, Goldsmith’s elegant and haunting love theme—one of his best of the ’90s—plays only briefly at the very end of the album. This premiere presentation of the complete score represents one of the most substantial restorations of a Goldsmith soundtrack, illuminated by the fact that just 30 minutes of the full 85-minute score appeared on the original 1994 soundtrack album. To present this dynamic work, Universal provided access to the original 48-track digital session elements plus the multi-track film mixes and live two-track session mixes and remixes. The result is a 2-CD set featuring the entire score and the original Arista CD program.

In the film, character Lamont Cranston (Alec Baldwin) plays an expatriate American who becomes a vicious warlord in Tibet before a Tibetan mystic redeems him and teaches Cranston the powers of the mind that will allow him to become the Shadow. In New York, taking the guise of a millionaire playboy, Cranston becomes involved with Margo Lane (Penelope Anne Miller), the only person who seems immune to the Shadow’s mental powers. John Lone plays the Shadow’s Mongolian nemesis Shiwan Khan, who also studied under Tulku. Khan plans to conquer the world with his army of followers and an atomic bomb.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 204
Retail Price: $29.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7684/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's THE SHADOW
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:36 pm 

So ordered :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:50 pm 

*applauds*

Beautiful.

As the one-sheet for The Shadow is on my wall, you can imagine I'm pretty happy about this one! Thanks for doing it right, keeping the Taylor Dayne song(s) et al - which I do love - but thank you for going in and rescuing the whole score, it's amazing.

Ordered in a day or so when I'm sure of my finances, but I'm not waiting any longer than that for this one!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:54 pm 

yep, ordered, love the cover, love the samples, job well done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 pm 

Thank you very very very much, Intrada!
The complete version of one of the great Goldsmith scores of the '90's, at last!
Gorgeous cover art, too.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:11 pm 

Eeeeeasily ordered. Love both covers!

Job well done Team Intrada!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 pm 

Wonderful news. Thank you very much to all on the hard work needed to bring this one out in such a grand presentation. Just stunning. Congratulations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:41 pm 
I'm looking forward to getting this much needed expansion. Sound quality seems perfect.

Thanks to the labels, my Jerry Goldsmith wish list (which was quite large a decade ago) is almost entirely fulfilled.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :D

WOW what a perfect way to celebrate my special day with the purchase of these sweet gems.
JG's The Shadow on a double disc'er complete with beautiful cover art.
And also not forgetting Wolfen from the talented Mr Safan.

Doug, Roger & the little hamster's have made this Birthday a good'un

Fantastic job guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:01 am 

SOOOOOOOO ORDERED!

The movie itself is terrible but i LOVE the score.

Many thanks Intrada!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 am 

One of the more memorable scores Goldsmith did during the 90's along with GHOST AND THE DARKNESS.

Great job Intrada.

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 am 

bought this for the great artwork (just kidding) :mrgreen:

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:13 am 

Have the original issue... but, this is Intrada and what a shock?! Oh so ordered. Thanks for giving the usual deluxe treatment and expanding out this marvelous score by Jerry Goldsmith.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:24 am 

Another wonderful Intrada release! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:40 am 

Ordered this spectacular release along with Wolfen's rejected work. First, thank you, Jerry, for writing an incredibly complex and entertaining score, and of course thank you to Universal Pictures for giving both Jerry and Intrada the opportunity for this release to even exist today. Thank you, Bruce Botnick, for your incredible career alongside Mr. Goldsmith. Thank you, Sony, Joe Sikoryak, Jeff Bond, Doug Fake, Roger Feigelson, and the entire Intrada team for continuing to rescue, deliver and promote amazing music that deserves to remain alive and well. I absolutely love this place, love the hands that continue to feed. Here is my support, again. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next