[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Craig Safan's WOLFEN (unused score)

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Craig Safan's WOLFEN (unused score)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

WOLFEN
Music Composed and Conducted by CRAIG SAFAN
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 206

I felt Wolfen was the perfect film in which to break away from
traditional melody and harmony and try something new.- Craig Safan

The 1981 Orion production Wolfen was unusually and extraordinarily complicated, resulting in upheaval that affected both its final direction and its musical scoring. Unfortunately, Safan’s score proved to be one of the many casualties of the film’s lengthy and turbulent post-production process—the film was re-edited and re-scored after he had composed and recorded his music with a 100-piece orchestra. The resultant score was, in fact, something new and a departure from what you would expect from such a large orchestra. As Safan best describes:

I felt Wolfen was the perfect film in which to break away from traditional melody and harmony and try something new.To that end I spent time with all the woodwind and brass players to learn about new techniques such as multiphonics (playing more than one note at the same time), and playing their instruments without a mouthpiece. Also, I would have each player in the 40-piece string section play a different note, then move to each other player’s notes, all within a specific time-frame. I used two grand pianos tuned a quarter tone apart and often playing the inside instead of the keys. Looking back over the scores I see directions such as “low growl,” “like a strangled animal,” and “babbling.”

In the end, Safan had composed a massive, complex work...something on an intellectual level to challenge the listener, and embodying the mythological aspects of the film dropped from the final version.

For this release, Intrada was given access to the original multi-track elements stored in the Warner Bros. vaults. The sound preserved on these masters is simply stunning, allowing Safan's score to shine in all its detail and complexity. Sometimes great film music can't even be heard within the film for which it was composed, and Craig Safan's score to Wolfen is one of them.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 206
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7686/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Craig Safan's WOLFEN (unused score)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:10 pm 

Listening to the samples as I type and liking what I hear. This is ordered along with The Shadow!

Thanks Team Intrada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:19 pm 

Well now, I wasn't counting on this one sounding so awesome, my basket has been empty for exactly ten minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:13 pm 

Roger, who wrote the liners for this one?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:35 pm 

Well this is certainly surprising. I was not expecting this score to get released, but I am glad that it has. I will definitely pick up this title before Intrada runs out, but not right now. My money's already being spent on buying Batman:TAS: Vol. 1.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 am 

At last Craig's unused Wolfen.
Samples sound just great & that cover art is stunning, I actually think it looks better than Horner's version.
This is so ordered along with the well deservered release of Goldsmith's The Shadow.
Intrada you are simply magicians you keep making my dollars disappear :lol:
Some more unused/rejected would be very nice please.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:05 am 

at Roger /Doug

i have the promo cd of Safans Wolfen and like it very much, can you tell me if it is worth upgrading or main differences?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 am 

This sounds way better than I would have thought... + I love that artwork.

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:01 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 am 

A few tracks were combined (the first two), renamed (Fisherman is gone), and there are at least
2 new minutes (promo=58mins. new=60mins.). For me, the clincher is going to be who & how involved
the liner notes are, but nothing's been said yet - I'll probably take the plunge anyway, it's a good score.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:06 am 

This is a given buy even if Horners score is the better one, but Safans CD got the best artwork hands down :)

thanks for some summerhorror sounding out in my boombox...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am 

Hey, you cannot have the James Horner score without having it's rejected companion score... More Craig Safan love going around. So happy that this is out now. Cannot wait to get it (yeah, ordered it as soon as it hit the front page yesterday)...

Thanks Intrada...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:14 am 

thank you Doug

my "Shadow" is already underway , thanks to hamsterspeed.

i will order Wolfen with the next batch

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next