[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Ron Goodwin's GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Ron Goodwin's GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm 

INTRADA Presents:

SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT
Music Composed and Conducted by RON GOODWIN
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 196

For the 1973 MGM film Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, British composer Ron Goodwin composed an exciting, mysterious and highly colorful symphonic fantasy. In acknowledgment of the story’s period setting, there is some small-group writing highlighting guitar, mandolin and solo lines for trumpet and oboe. And while not authentically medieval in the historical sense, they do convey a charming “medievalism” which resonates with popular
imagination. The brunt of the score, however, is robustly orchestral, with plenty of forceful dramatic writing for brass and strings. Goodwin furnishes an abundance of thematic ideas to accompany Gawain on his quest. The music here is destined to thrill and enchant, but that's a common experience when listening to the music of Ron Goodwin.

In the preparation of this 2-CD set featuring the complete music for Sir Gawain And The Green Knight, Intrada was given access to the original ¼˝ two-track stereo masters made at Anvil Studios and retained by the composer. Under his own baton, Goodwin recorded over an hour of music at Anvil Studios in February 1973, with Eric Tomlinson as his engineer.

Of all the tales of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is surely among the strangest and most vivid. In it, a mysterious figure rides into Camelot: a bearded giant of a man, bearing a grim axe; his clothing and entire person colored a shocking, supernatural green. When he throws down his challenge—to allow any knight a blow at his unguarded neck, if they will allow him to repay in kind—only Gawain is bold enough to accept. To the young knight’s dismay, beheading scarcely slows down the fearsome figure; Gawain is given a year to prepare himself, and charged to seek the green chapel that is the mysterious warrior’s home.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 196
Retail Price: $24.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7474/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Ron Goodwin's GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:41 pm 
So it's a Goodwin score after all.

I've never seen the film. I really like the samples though; it seems that Ron Goodwin could do no wrong in writing highly tuneful music.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

Already ordered... :) The samples sound awesome. Thanks Doug/Roger and crew...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm 

Never come across this before but I really like the samples. Original plan was to get an older CD to go with ST6 but I shall be getting this.

Loved Gawain's Gallop :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 pm 

Oooohhhh, fun stuff! I've had rough-sounding bits and pieces of this for years. It'll be nice to have all of it sounding sweet. Many many thanks!! :D

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm 

What a spectacular release! Thanks to all at Intrada and the Ron Goodwin Estate for making this possible.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:48 am 

Great to see another Goodwin score rescued.

I realize it's a bit odd getting one release - and asking for another, but is there any chance of a release of Goodwin's "Miss Marple" scores? Have any tapes surfaced during the last few years? I think I'm not the only one who would purchase these scores from alternate sources (read: music and effect tracks).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 am 

Yay more John Takis liner notes!!! :)

There is no doubt he is one of the best in the biz at them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm 

This is a stunning release! I ordered last night but the stupid pc froze-up before I could post a message of thanks...so thanks Intrada folks, I really appreciate this Ron Goodwin epic! I remember waching the film on BBC TV many years ago and of course enjoying it very much, I also rewatched it in University College Dublin when doing my English Degree sometime later, enjoyed it both times and I remembered liking the music too! Great work guys! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:22 pm 

Any chance of releasing One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:33 am 

I was a little back-logged in listening to things and finally was able to hear this the other day. Absolutely marvelous score by Ron Goodwin. Hard to imagine this score is nearly 40 years old now. The recording is so crisp and clear that you would think it was recorded yesterday. Hats off to Intrada for releasing this gem. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:47 pm 
This is indeed a marvelous score. Between this, Those Magnificent Men, all Goodwin scores released by FSM and Battle of Britain, I would find it hard to believe if someone had told me that Ron Goodwin composed a dud or two in his career.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:07 pm 

I've had this CD since it was released, but only just had the chance to spin it tonight.

Goodwin never fails to get the blood pumping. Great architecture and development too. Many thanks to Intrada for this unexpected gem! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:50 am 

Great job on this release! A very engaging score that I have spun a few times since receiving Tuesday. Definitely worth picking up before it goes OOP.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:30 pm 

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]