[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Varese does Chinatown again...poorly again...

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Varese does Chinatown again...poorly again...
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:54 am 

I can't freaking believe this. I mean, they could at least have released the complete score this time. The score is such a masterpiece and you think after they released the album version before, that they'd have the decency to release the score in full, especially considering it's on the CD Club label for cryin' out loud! Alas, Varese has disappointed me once more. :(

For those who can appreciate this release, I hope it sounds as great as they are saying it does, but as for me personally, (and this is JUST me) I'd like to see Intrada release it properly.

Post subject: Re: Varese does Chinatown again...poorly again...
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:24 am 
I guess my question is how much music is actually missing from this presentation? It is well known that Goldsmith wrote a short score for this film, so I just assumed that at least all of the worthwhile material was already covered.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 am 

What in the world was the thinking here? Offer the same content as the previous edition whose sound was already great, so now the previous edition's price will go down, making it cheaper than the new edition with duplicate contents?

If ever there was a market for the complete score, which is somewhere north of 52 minutes, of a JERRY FRIGGIN' GOLDSMITH score, this was it Not to mention solving the curiousity of Philip Lambro's rejected score, which he doesn't hold the rights to so he has no say if it were released.

This takes the Official 2nd Place award for Missing Oppritunity, right after the Sony 4CD "Titanic" set.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm 

Poorly is right. Now if they intend to market an expanded edition later after this reissue sells out, shame on the sob's for milking the hell out of it. I was thinking Chinatown yesterday before the announcement, was also thinking The White Dawn (Mancini) and Cape Fear (Bernard Herrmann). Varese Sarabande really seems to be half stepping it these days.

I too would like to see Intrada do magic with the Chinatown score.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:11 pm 
Well, this reissue will be my first CD of this score, and it will be my last even if it is re-re-released (George Lucas style) with whatever extra content may exist. The original score is short, but masterful within the context of the film. I'm fine with not having absolutely everything on album.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:56 pm 

A complete missed opportunity, I want the complete score!! Not really sure how much music is missing from this needless release, and wish Varese :evil: would have put the source cues at the end of Goldsmith's score or eliminate them alltogether.

I hope Intrada can in the near future release this score the correct way.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:28 am 

I'm glad the score is available again for those who would rather not pay ridiculous amounts on ebay or from second-hand sellers, but I have to agree with the posters who said Varese dropped the ball. I think MV from La La Land seemed especially annoyed with this release over at FSM, given his relationship with Paramount.

What really concerns me is whether Varese might somehow do the same thing with scores that also should be expanded -- especially DRACULA (John Williams) and PSYCHO II (Goldsmith). I really hope not. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:01 am 

Varèse Sarabande is STILL living in the 90's ! Wake up guys, times have changed.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:28 am 

Judging by recent releases like
THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY
and
STAR TREK V…

I'll bet within 2 years Intrada will wrangle the rights to CHINATOWN away from Varèse and then MAF it with the album presentation first followed by never before released material.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:06 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:56 am 

New Chinatown disc doesn't look too bad actually. At first glance I thought it had that intrusive Varese Encore bar across the top, far as I'm concerned that really ruins the cover design of Eye Of The Needle disc. Maybe it's just me with my natural doubt and mistrust of most things but Varese Sarabande seems to be in it for profit first and formost and not for keeping a piece of culture from dying away, which seems to me, the important aspect of it all. Don't want the good to get lost in a shuffle of piss poor rap music and 70's rock. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 am 

The Outfit (Fielding)
The Other Side of the Mountain I (Charles Fox)

and extremely unlikely, but...
Junior Bonner
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:27 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:55 am 

I wonder ... I bet Varese doesn't own the rights to that score in perpetuity, which is probably why it has the same contents as the early ABC Records/MCA LP release, and why the new version is the same again. They could only get permission to do the same contents, otherwise pay more. And maybe some other lael already has dibs on the rights.

Just a guess. Crank it out, hope it makes money before somebody else gets it out properly.

THE PRISONER

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next