[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces James Horner's WOLFEN

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces James Horner's WOLFEN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:30 pm 

INTRADA
Announces:

WOLFEN
Music Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 185

The 1981 Orion Pictures' film Wolfen had a harrowing journey to the screen. Amidst the behind the scenes turmoil was a call to replace the original score, and James Horner was hired to write a completely new score with only 12 days to provide 39 minutes of music. Horner took a warmer approach than its predecessor, balancing melodic material with fast-driving, percussive action-horror music. The score is compelling in mood and color, alluding to both the archaic natural world and supernatural forces with great subtlety and sophistication. Rarely does a young composer come along with a distinctive musical voice and the ability to craft it so utterly in support of a film, ultimately paving the way for Horner's hiring on the following years' Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, elevating him to A-list status.

Horner (who orchestrated the score himself) called for a 67-piece orchestra consisting of 20 violins, 10 violas, 8 celli, 6 basses, 6 woodwinds, 2 trumpets, 4 French horns, 3 trombones, 1 tuba, 1 harp, 3 keyboards and 3 percussion. The percussionists played a variety of unusual instruments—tom toms, tam tam, trans celesta, plastic pipe, waterphone, rub rods, Indian rattles, bull roar, wind machine and song bells—in addition to conventional chimes, vibraphone, xylophone, bass drum and timpani. The keyboards were enhanced by the distinctive bass of Craig Huxley’s blaster beam, heard in a variety of sci-fi scores of the period. Horner also applied echoplex tape loops to acoustic instruments for haunting and eerie effects.

This premiere release from Intrada presents the complete score from the original multi-track master elements stored at Warner Bros. This dynamic, crisp recording gives the score striking new life and this release fills a noticeable gap in James Horner's discography.

Wolfen tells the story of NYPD detective Dewey Wilson and Dr. Rebecca Neff, a young psychologist who specializes in studying terrorists, who are investigating a brutal murder in Battery Park. With the help of a medical examiner and a zoologist, Wilson and Neff discover that the killers are actually wolfen: super-intelligent wolves who survive by preying on society’s forgotten ones—the poor and homeless. Wolfen features Albert Finney, Diane Venora, Edward James Olmo's and Gregory Hines.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 185
Retail Price: $19.99
Available Now
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7331/.f

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces James Horner's WOLFEN
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 pm 

THANK YOU !
First one to order ! ^^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 pm 

I was hoping we'd get Craig Safan's rejected score as well, but I'm all over this legitimate release of James Horner's score! Ordered.

Edit: Blast, my credit card didn't authenticate. I was going to pair this with Gold, but I'll just get Gold for now and I'll get Wolfen in the next batch of titles.

Last edited by Basil on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:35 pm 

Holy Moly! This is definitely one of my horror grails. Thanks Intrada! You bring the horror goods once more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:36 pm 

I never saw that artwork before. AWESOME!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm 

Awesome. Simply awesome. Many thanks Team Intrada!!

Super cool cover as well!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:39 pm 

Thank you, Intrada, Warner Bros., and of course Horner. Ordered both releases today. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:40 pm 

This is more than horror music, this is James Horner and all the genius musical ideas that come with that ! ^^
I'm so happy to see such great titles that have never been released before in any form ! That's still impressive to think we've waited for 30 years for this album to exist...

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 pm 

Fantastic cover work!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:41 pm 

Holy Smoke I´m satisfied. This is a great score and finally it is released...
I actually thought Horner didn´t want this released but I´m glad I was proven wrong
Fright Night, It and now Wolfen!!! This is too good to be true...pinch my arm :)
Thanks hamsters :mrgreen:

by the way cool alternative artwork too...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:44 pm 
Excellent! I will proudly place this alongside the release of Safan's rejected score.

There can never be enough 80s Horner scores on CD until there are no more to release.

Last edited by T. Newman Fan on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm 

Brilliant! I've only seen the film once, about probably 15 years ago, but I remember parts of it vividly, and these samples sound terrific. I've also backtracked to grab Battlestar Vol.1, trying to fill the gaps in my Intrada wants from this year!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm 

:)

One of my 2011 WishList has finally made it. :) Overjoyed to say the least. A great score to an equally great movie. Thanks so much Intrada.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:32 pm 

Finally!!! One of the releases of the year!!!
Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 pm 

Years before Varese released an official, legitimate "Project X", there was a boot of that score that contained a 14-minute suite from "The Hand" on it.

The music that is mentioned here in the info for WOLFEN is actually included in the suite, in a poor-quality form (obviously).

The music would be placed directly after the "Wall Street" cue, and is a segment featuring pounding piano chords, and continuing on with a section of rising, wailing brass. If you've heard the cleverly-titled cue 'Queen To Bishop' from ALIENS, this music from The Hand is similar with that rising brass.

The use of music from "The Hand" is appropriate, since pounding piano music was used to underscore a scene in Wolfen in which a man's hand is bitten off by one of the wolves!

The rising brass music was used to score a scene where Albert Finney blows up the car the man with the bitten-off hand ran into, only to be mauled by a wolf waiting inside.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next