[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Death of the Compact Disc: Coming sooner than you think!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Death of the Compact Disc: Coming sooner than you think!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 pm 

Check out this article about the subject:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/11/15/ ... d=webmail1

I hope Intrada, as well as LLL, Varese, Kritzerland, and what's left of FSM, continue to make CDs forever!

Post subject: Re: Death of the Compact Disc: Coming sooner than you think!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:32 pm 

Read a few sentences of the article and it sounds like nonsense to me. Vinyl is still being pressed and I'm sure CDs will continue to be as long as there's a market and appreciation for quality packaging/artwork... I'm sure a good many will satisfy themselves with ipods and downloads but there will always be those who won't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 pm 
I prefer physical media, but I wouldn't mind if the soundtrack labels worked out licensing deals with the studios to offer consumers lossless downloads with liner notes in PDF form.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:16 pm 

The writer of this article seems to be really pro-dematerialized medias !
I don't think the change will be as immediate as he seems to think. He's just trying to convince us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:18 pm 

I better hope not that the CD will perrish...I will Never buy a download ever...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:22 pm 

Seconded !
I have never paid for downloaded music, and I'll never do.

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:40 pm 
Downloads can offer some value-added features. I assume transferring from analog masters to digital commonly happens at something like 96kHz/24-bit resolution, and that mixing/mastering is done at this resolution. Digital downloads can be offered at this high resolution without needing to down-sample to 44.1/16 for CD delivery.

I'm not saying that 44.1/16 is inadequate, just that downloads could technically offer better quality without having to move to a new physical format.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:56 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm 

My two cents. There are CD players everywhere. There are players in your computers, in your car, in walkmans and boom boxes, next to the alarm clocks by your bed, included with your DVD players and Blu-ray drives... CD players are literally everywhere. World wide! Virtually anywhere you go!

Yes, most content will shift to downloads for convenience audiences, no doubt about it. But there are just WAY too many CDs in the marketplace and way too many players around to have the format die. And as long as all those players are around, niche audiences and niche labels and whatever will have places to congregate.
--Doug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:14 pm 

With CDs, looking for a specific version is easy. You can identify a certain pressing or master by it's UPC, catalog number, the inner CD matrix... With downloads how can you tell what version you "really" are getting? By the time you download it it's too late if it's the wrong one. I know there is ID tagging, but it can be changed so easily. I can make a FLAC version of an MP3 and say it's lossless, but it is not. I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of downloading music because I just don't do it. What little I do know about it is from converting all my CDs to ALAC and FLAC files to be saved to an external hard drive. So maybe I'm wrong and there is a way to tell what you are downloading. I know there are REALLY good fake looking CDs out there too, but you can still hold it in your hand and see that it is a fake. How will we ever know what we are really getting if it's all a bunch of ones and zeros? I'm not against digital downloads by any means, I just think having an actual CD or record in my hands is something far more special. I'm really hoping this specialty niche of soundtracks will still continue to press CDs for as long as they can.
How's the saying going to go in ten years from now? "I want my Daddy's FLAC files"?

I collect Hot Wheels too. Maybe they can stop producing those as well and start letting us download high resolution pictures of them. One picture in the package and one picture out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 am 

I've bought music online in the past. I think I have about half of my purchases left--the rest were lost to hard drive failures and an assortment of computer issues over the years. On top of it, the music is all low-quality.

Long live the compact disc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:30 pm 

Join our Patreon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:49 pm 

Actually, it's not coming sooner than you think.

I posted this a couple of weeks back at FSM, but it's worth a repost here. Basically the article linked to at the start of the thread gets all it's doom and gloom from another article, by Side-Line. And that article was found to be...absolute bollocks.

The good old NME are on top of it here:

So no need to worry overtly just yet 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:02 pm 

THE PRISONER

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next