[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:05 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:12 am 

So did anyone get theirs yet? I just got done reading the booklet and Randy Thornton's chronicle of the process was a fantastic read.

Oh and he revealed another title upcoming. I am unsure if it was stated here but I sure didn't know about it. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:30 am 

There seems to me to be a steady stream of "gift" soundtracks coming from Intrada lately. I never expected this score would someday be spinning in my old CD player. Or UP. I'm amazed how one release after another comes out, seeming more to me like "gifts", not just a soundtrack release, because these scores, we were told, would never see the day as a CD. So thank you, Intrada, for all the lovely gifts, and your dedication to soundtrack consumers all over the world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:40 pm 

Listening to it right now. It sounds FABULOUS!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm 

Wow, simply amazing that the vintage 3M recording is so perfect... thanks Intrada.

But now having read the notes... I have a question...

Were the first three titles in this co-branding series chosen because they all contain a similar plot device,
a gigantic ship under the control of a mad genius...
or is it just a coincidence?

I'm really looking forward to the next release. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:10 pm 

The Black Hole was the first album I ever owned. It was a gift for Christmas in 1979. Between this record and all of the James Bond films, John Barry carved out a significant place for himself in my psyche during my formative years (I'm serious; when my dreams are "scored," it usually sounds like Barry).

I feel like I'm listening to it for the first time again. The transparency of the sound is stunning, and there are a myriad of detail in Al Woodbury's orchestrations and the electronics that one could barely make out if at all in the original mix. Steven aptly commented that the LP mix sounds "sludgy" by comparison, but the CD shines gloriously. Randy Thorton's notes on the history of the project are very interesting; it is gratifying to hear the results of his hard work and determination.

The album was well-arranged for its time, but if it had one main omission, it was that "Hot and Heavy" march; it is so satisfying to finally hear it, and with such clarity. Otherwise, the additional music in the earlier portion of the film has a tendency to add a greater sense of mystery to the proceedings, while toward the end it gives the score a broader scope and drive.

"In, Through… and Beyond!" is a nicely psychedelic coda to the album. Who knew from listening to the original LP how elaborate the electronic track was…?

I also have to admit, Disney seems to have gone of this title. I'm impressed.

Last edited by Swashbuckler on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:29 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:01 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:37 pm 

I just had to get an account on this board so I could post a THANK YOU to everyone involved in making this happen! I was blown away when I saw the post at AICN about this. I've been wanting a complete score for decades (as have a lot of you, apparently). I ordered my copy as soon as I saw the announcement. I don't know if I got in that first batch or not, but I'll be patient! In the mean time, I'm contenting myself with the samples, especially "Hotter and Heavier", which is just glorious to finally hear.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:22 pm 
I don't have any nostalgic memories of this score, but it makes for an enjoyable listen. There is also something very cool about getting the first digitally recorded film score delivered on CD.

The bonus mix at the end of the CD is the highlight to my ears.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:38 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:58 am 

Please respect those who do not wish to read the pre-release discussions...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 pm 

at the "main title" at about second 2 you can clearly hear a digital clipping !
Any explanations ?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:41 pm 

I answered that on the FSM board. It's a fingernail plucking the harp.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next