[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces John Barry's THE BLACK HOLE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:55 pm 

Last edited by Neil on Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:36 am 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm 

I will add my personal thanks and congratulations to all involved on this stunning release. I'm no die hard or even big fan of Barry but do love a number of his scores. This was top of the list and I can't tell you how satisfying it was to finally hear "Hot and Heavy" in all its digital glory. Special thanks to Randy Thornton for his tireless work on making this happen and all who slaved with out dated digital technology. The notes give some indication of how hard work all this was, and it was an engrossing read. Keep the tech talk for all releases I say. I am indebted to you. Thank you again!

Last edited by JGOnline on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07 am 

A request ...

The photos that were in the booklet...

I presume there were others in the set - is it possible to put larger versions up on the web?

Ta.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 am 

Is there a specific date that this is going to be available again?

The 'Back in stock in 2 weeks' notice feels like it's been up for more than 2 weeks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:49 am 

I just got this CD and have listen through it once now and as it was bit since I both saw the movie and listen to the earlier release, I must say that the CD sounds great.
But I´m not that hooked on the music that many are as it sounds like another Bond movie and in my opinion, Barry is the composer that sounds the same even if he does space, jungle, cold war or thrillers.
Not that he is a bad composer, I do like him, but what I´m saying is that you could use this music to many different occassions and I don´t feel THAT particular feeling I get with other scores that I think capture the moment...
I know I´m stepping on many Barry lovers toes here, but this is just my opinion of this (one opinion) and as I said earlier, it sounds great on CD and Intrada has made a fabulous work bringing it to CD.
Also I´m happy for all those people who have been craving this particular score as the best label brought it to us in a fine looking package...

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:56 am 

In acting, they talk about 'method' actors and 'character actors'. As I understand it, method actors (like Brando, Hoffmann) use method to get into their roles and be different each time. Character actors are hired because of their particular persona and characteristics. It's not that they can only do one type of role, or that they're inferior, it's that when you hire them you're getting 'them' and their distinctive characteristics.

(And it's not as if someone is 'strictly' just a character actor or a method actor.)

If you applied the same idea to composers, you'd say someone like Jerry Goldsmith is a method composer and someone like John Barry is a character composer.

In that sense, when you hire Barry, you're effectively asking for his characteristics.

It's not that The Black Hole is trying to be a Bond score. It's that it's written in the style of John Barry, the 'character' composer, and just so happens his style is thought of as "the Bond style" by association.

It's funny - I'd agree that many critics that John Barry is a less versatile composer overall than many great Hollywood composers, but I think the style he developed -- which is uniquely his own -- has proven to be exceptionally effective both on screen and on records. And often in a counter-intuitive way. I mean, after Star Wars, who'd have thought it correct to score a kids laser movie with a pair of fatalistic, doomladen marches!?!? (I'm counting 'Hot and Heavy' as such a march as well as the main title.) And yet it works. And KIDS loved that approach, not just adults. (I was a kid when I saw it, and I was just wowed by the music.)

I think that's why he's always been popular with cineastes and audiences, if less so with 'serious music' critics.

I think this accounts for the 'sameness' that is often attributed to Barry. Though, as I said someplace else, although he has a very same-y 'style', you'd have to be tone deaf to not be able to tell the difference between, say, Somewhere In Time and Out Of Africa. And that's because while the style is consistent, the music itself is always very distinct and different.

In that sense, I don't find him a 'self-quoter' in the same way I found Horner. I heard Rascals And Robbers recently. It amazed me how much 'Star Trek II' stuff there was in it. I loved it nevertheless!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 am 

Finally it's arrive! Thanks, Intrada/Disney!!! :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 pm 

Preaching to the converted, I know ... but here's a review of The Black Hole, just the same!

http://www.avforums.com/movies/The-Blac ... track.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:05 pm 

Spinning it right now for the xth time. Incredible, brooding, epic album. Kudos to Disney, Intrada ... and Mr. Barry. Wherever you are.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:23 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:06 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:06 pm 

Would you believe some 10-ish months later, this is still one of my most frequently played discs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:00 pm 

I definately believe it, MrM.

Been playing it a lot myself, though not super frequently.

Between this and TMP, I think I'm a sucker for sci-fi scores with the Blaster Beam by master composers. :)

This, Alien and TMP are 3 of the best titles on my CD shelf. I can thank Intrada for 2 of them, and LLLR for the third.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next