[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Joel McNeely's SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TALE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Joel McNeely's SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:41 am 

Question for Roger & Doug :

Have you credited the various native american instruments in the booklet ? Do you know the exact name of the flutes that McNeely used on this score ? I have a passion for ethnic flutes and I love it when they are credited like in the James Horner's albums (kena, shakuhachi, panpipes, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:13 am 

SQUANTO at last ! Ordered as soon as it appeared on the website hours ago.

Thank you guys, you're the best !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:23 am 

Hi, Anakin. As far as I know (and I admit, of course, that I don't know everything), there's no name in common usage as distinctive as "Shakuhachi," etc. to describe Native American style flutes; they tend to simply be referred to as "Native American style flutes!" Such flutes are typically wooden, and may use pentatonic tuning. You'll occasionally run across descriptors like "plains flute," or references to a particular tribe, and these might sometimes indicate subtle differences of construction. But in this case, I didn't have evidence of anything so specific.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:34 am 

Thank you John ! What you're saying is already priceless.

I'm more used to the south "amerindian" flutes (thanks to Tony Hinnigan and James Horner) because I play the quena and the quenacho myself. I believe north "amerindian" flutes are very close to the quenas of the south, with a soft, windy and warm sound, but I do hear a difference from one flute to another, without being able to name them.

quena (native south american flute)

native north american flute

I'm always surprised the north flutes are not credited in any film score that involves a native american sound, but the big variety of the tribes and their flutes must be the reason why we englobe them in the "plains flute" or "native flute" naming.

Great topic anyway ! :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:22 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:56 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:05 am 

Neat, so DEJA VU & SQUANTO are the Crystal Pepsi of Intrada albums! Got 'em both!

Fun trick, try running THAT product by a youngster and enjoy the look of 'huh?' you get -
it's great fun, try it sometime!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:35 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:56 am 

+1 from me on bringing the logo back. Glad to hear that my favorite label's classic styling will return!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:24 am 

ordered at once, what beautiful samples! that melodies is whats missing these days in filmmusic ! thanks to intrada, disney and mr mcneely !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:02 pm 

ALways great to see more McNeely released and this one sounds great. (Never caught up with the film.) Thanks, Doug, Roger, et al for another welcome release. Wish McNeely got much more work these days. As I mentioned at the FSM board, head over to McNeely's website and listen to his music from TINKER BELL AND THE LOST TREASURE. Honest, it's wonderful stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 pm 

As a Disney fan, I made a point of grabbing this one! :D

Known in the U.K. as: THE LAST GREAT WARRIOR,
it's actually a pretty rare film here - what with it being a straight-to-video release, and never having had a U.K. DVD release

McNeely is a very good Disney composer,
and hopefully his TINKER BELL scores will eventually be released :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next