[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Yes... A New CONAN Thread.

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yes... A New CONAN Thread.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:22 pm 
Incorporating the film assembly but marking the cues as different tracks on CD is really the best way to go in my mind. I have numerous rock and film score albums that have cues gaplessly segue into other cues. One popular score album that does this is Hans Zimmer's "Gladiator."

Last edited by T. Newman Fan on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:23 pm 

It'd be a bit of a shame to have the Definititve Conan release not have Anvil of Crom on its own.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:42 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 pm 

Double Post

Last edited by Startracks on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:21 pm 

I'd rather have them separated. Like many have pointed out before, it's easy to combine them if you so choose, but it's impossible to separate them if they're combined. It would also be awkward to have them "butted up" against one another without gaps since, during the segues, the notes are the same but the orchestration is not. At least, if my ears and memory serve me well...

Though I would have answered differently a few years back.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:49 pm 

Personaly, I would go for 3 separate tracks.
I've been used to this for 20 years so it would sound weird to my ears if you merged everything together.
That's what I felt when they fused "Tree of Woe" and "Recovery" into one single track for the re-recording :The execution was great but the combination disturbed my habits.

And I also remember the example of the Battle of Hoth on The Empire strikes back : it wasn't pleasing at all to go through 6 minutes of music to get what you want!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:36 am 

My vote is for the way, as the composer intended, but I'd like to have a chapter marks (indexes) to separate the sequence into cues. I think it's the best way... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:51 am 

Please keep the tracks totally separate.

The film is one thing, the album is another. In the film, the segues between these sequences/tracks are already a bit harsh, only the flow of the film helps. Music is a different experience : the listener must be alowed to breathe, especially after a piece as powerfull as "Riders of doom"... we need silence to recover, and be prepared for the next episode. The same after "The gift of fury" : the sadness must be followed by a moment of reverence - and ONLY after that, we are ready for the journey that beggins "Column of sadness".

In his glorious Fifth Symphony, Gustav Malher started the last movement (Rondo) in the same tonality and family of sound than the ending of the fourth movement, to establish a direct relation - in fact they may be played without interruption, but this is not what he wanted, because this fourth movement is the famous "Adagietto", and the listener needs some rest after that.

Conan (as presented in the Milan album) opens with four major pieces ; they form a whole but are quite different musically, in character and scale, as the movements of a symphony. They are great as they are, please don't try to trim them - lets the film edits in the film.

Don't change what is already great, your new edition don't need that. I think, if you have doubts about putting all these tracks in one, it's because of that : you are tenpted because of the movie but feel it's not the better as a music-only listening experience ; this treatment must be reserved to lesser pieces, tracks that don't stand by themselves. All film music composers write in a way such merges can be made for film editing purposes, but what Poledouris made in the album ? Insert silences. Because silence lets the imagination and emotions flows, it is part of the music.

Last edited by dadid on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:23 am 

Nice & i.m.o. convincing posting, dadid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:25 am 

My vote is for separate tracks -- especially if Basil Poledouris envisioned this for the album presentation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 am 

Wonderfully put, "dadid"!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:25 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am 

Apart. Folks can edit together stuff as they deem personally necessary. But most cannot seperate, especially if cross-faded, like some releases from various labels -- including Intrada -- are guilty of.

Together, there is no proper fade out of the orchestra, and even if you seperate the cues, you are stuck with a sudden, jarring beginning/end of the cue.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:59 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next