[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's LINK

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's LINK
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 am 

I just thought of this. The movie became more or less a flop even though it was:
Written (well the story at least) by the creator of MacGyver.
Produced by the guy who later became George Lucas' producing sidekick.
Directed by the guy who (previously) was hired to do the impossible job of directing the sequel to Psycho (not an easy job to "replace" Hitch).
Scored by the guy who wrote music to a whole planet of apes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:58 am 

All that Toby says is true. However, I just caught up with this movie and it seemed to me that everyone involved seemed to be taking the project in the spirit it warranted except for the VERY attractive Elizabeth Shue, who rarely seems particularly bothered by the increasingly perilous goings on. Even after bodies start popping up, her emotional state rarely rises above being rather peeved. I wonder, was she not into it at all?

Jerry Goldsmith's score fits the movie like a glove, like his work usually does. Just the right air of loopiness to carry this funhouse ride of a film right along to its conclusion. This is no guilty pleasure or bottlecap for me - this music has always cheered me up and gotten my toes tapping, and I'm glad to have it in a legitimate release at last. :D

"Enjoy every sandwich."
-- Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:46 am 

LINK is one of those movies that was marketed wrong or not at all.
The audience did'nt even know it was coming.

Same that happened to HIGHLANDER.
...or one can say they are different kind of movies.

1986 is my favourite movie production year.
We got top notch movies like:

Aliens :D
The Fly :D
Platoon
Highlander :D
The Hitcher
Youngblood
The Delta Force
Crocodile Dundee
The Mosquito Coast
Big Trouble In Litttle China

+ little lesser known movies, but great all the same:

Link
Thrashin'
Quiet Cool
Manhunter
Witchboard
Let's Get Harry
At Close Range
Night Of The Creeps

:D = These are among my favourite movies.
Man what a year.

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 pm 

I first saw Link back in the 80´s when I got into horrormovies and thought this (along with Romeros Monkey Shines) was rather dull movies and they were forgotten minutes after watching them. Later some decade after, and I was heavy into soundtrack listening and ofcourse Jerry Goldsmith when I came upon the score for Link. Remembering it as a boring movie I gave the score a chance and was immideatly hooked by the quirky, fun stuff played out on the CD. I got the Anchor Bay DVD of link and rewatched it again 20 years after the first viewing and was directly in love with that movie, much thanks to that awsome music playing out during the scenes with that master butler of fire... Fun times and fun to have changed 180 with the liking of that movie, but back in the days one was young and dumb :mrgreen:

Now Intrada gave us the chance to own this on CD again for a good price instead of those highpriced e-bay sales (that sometimes even are boots :evil: )

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:57 pm 

Hello!!! Hello!!! Is anybody home? Think McFly! Think!

You can't be serious about Invaders From Mars that's one of the worst movies ever made. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:50 am 

Nostalgia would be my excuse. I have fond memories of watching it as a kid and being scared to death by, not the aliens, but the teacher (played by Louise Fletcher) swallowing frogs alive... I've watched it a few times recently, and I still think it has a special mood that works for me. :oops:

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:21 am 

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

Last edited by CocoNut Joe on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 am 
I received this disc yesterday and gave it a full listen. It has excellent clarity with a nice, punchy low-end. This presentation would make a nice companion piece to Goldsmith's brilliant score to Gremlins.

With Link and The Great Escape, Intrada has already helped me in acquiring two beloved treasures that I would have otherwise been without. Re-issue Goldsmith's Chinatown and Elmer Bernstein's Ghostbusters scores, and then we've really got a tremendous year. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:09 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am 

Many thanks to Mr. F & Mr. F for this delicious release. I've never had LINK on CD, so this was a real treat for me. The album is loads of fun and the themes have been stuck in my head since late last week when the CD arrived. Also, it was interesting to hear the origins of one of the GREMLINS 2 themes!

Thanks again for your continued excellence in your field, your great taste, and your generosity in giving us great gifts like this!

DSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:37 am 

I don't understand why some people dislike this score?,
it's VERY Goldsmith at times,
and I thought that it was a really good listen. :D

GREMLINS 2, owes a lot to this score :wink: ,
and I think that it's a much better score than both of the GREMLINS scores.

It has a very memorable theme tune, and some good action passages,
there are also hints of: RAMBO, TOTAL RECALL and TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE, throughout the score.

Terrific sound quality on this release, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:37 am 

As some of you know that Jerry Goldsmith`s Link is my Holy Grail. It arrived in the mail today. So thank you Doug, Roger and especially Jeff (Jeff, you know what I am talking about). Not only the fact that you guys (sorry I mean Hamsters) at Intrada decided to release my Holy Grail, you did it the day after my birthday. That means a lot to me. So you Hamsters are the best of the best of the best. My vote for the label of the year or should I say the label of the century goes to Intrada.

On a sidenote the only downside is that I once several years ago stated that when I get my Holy Grail I will stop collecting soundtracks because I will feel finished. I said that when I thought I never get this soundtrack. But no worries I will not stop collecting soundtracks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:01 pm 

This was one I actually hestitated about buying for a few minutes as my only exposure to it was a cassette of a friend's Varese LP.
All that stuck in my mind was Goldsmith's then prevalent use of the Simmons drums. I'm glad I went in for it. The newly remastered sound is, indeed, wonderfully seductive, as mentioned by many above. Yes, it's one of JG's more off the wall efforts, but in it's present sonic excellence it's a wonderful listen. It's even prompted me to put the film in my NetFlix que.

Thanks, guys. You continue on your hot streak.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:15 am 

Hurrah! I just managed to pick up a copy on ebay for only £7 more than it would have cost to get initially! Nice to know not all secondary sellers go for the big money on sellouts (other ebayers were asking three times what I just paid)

I'm really pleased, as I was around and ready the night of the release but had to decline as I had just had to arrange an emergency 250 mile trip the next day to see my girlfriend who was having health problems, and couldn't spare the money. (Now I just need to get Gorky Park, which I couldn't order from Kritzerland for the same reason) All's well that ends well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next