[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - The queen mother of all box sets!!

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The queen mother of all box sets!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:54 pm 

www.ElfmanBurton.com

I'm surprised this hasn't had any pub here

I'm really torn - I love these guys, but not THAT much....
not $499 much....but 1000 copies much....oy.....

what say you???

Post subject: Re: The queen mother of all box sets!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:00 pm 

Jeez, SPARTACUS is starting to look like a bargain at this point. (I'm curious to see how many of THESE show up on eBay for north of 1K.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:03 pm 

I love the music too, but that is just ridiculous!! This is Spartacus x3!!
Would love to have it, but there is just no way!!! It is a shame since we
are after the music and once again it is out of reach and has a bunch of
extras that are not needed!! $45 a score with postage?
Only Burton could come up with something this strange. Oh well, maybe
someday the expanded scores will be available! We got Batman and
will soon have Batman Returns, whats next?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm 

I wouldn't even be interested if the set was sold for $ 200. :P

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:30 pm 

Quite elaborate and beautiful, but I just don't have the money -- my money goes to Intrada. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:21 pm 

This 'thing' is going to torture me for a month....one of those
guys that hates being left out, I can't help but wonder how fast
or if it will sell out? I mean, digging up 130 for Spartacus was
doable, but this? Ay yah....and it has my bloody complete PEE WEE
on it, dammit all!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm 

You know, I was initially surprised at the expensive price tag too. But after thinking about it, there's probably good reason as to why it costs so much.

There's 16 discs worth of CDs, with (presumably) the complete scores for all of Elfman's Tim Burton films. All of these movies are owned by Warner Bros., Disney, 20th Century Fox and Paramount, possibly more. Imagine the legal entanglements that Richard Kraft had to go through in putting this box together.

Not to mention the 250-page hardbound book (with liners by Jeff Bond), a DVD with a video interview, and all sorts of extras.

And then there's the AFM re-use fees as well.

I'm very impressed with how this boxset turned out already - but at $500 it's way too rich for my blood, so unfortunately I'll have to pass.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:49 pm 

I just don't like the way the "complete scores" are presented with the original album and then the bonus tracks apart. I'd rather keep my Lalaland "complete scores" of Mars Attacks and Batman, since they follow the chronological order and clearly separate the album and the film versions. Batman on this boxset doesn't even contain the extended version of Batman to the Rescue...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:25 am 

Too rich for most people I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:08 am 

I can't afford it either... but I'm getting it anyway. Lord knows what sacrifices will have to happen in the interim. But half of these CDs represent scores that mean the world to me. Both BATMAN soundtracks, SCISSORHANDS, PEE WEE, NIGHTMARE... all the earlier stuff basically. I've also always had a soft spot for CORPSE BRIDE. Plus several discs of goofy other-wordliness, with packaging and artwork that is the stuff of dreams.

I am, however, intrigued by this "promo code" button... does that mean that a coupon is forthcoming? And does *that* mean that us pre-order fools can use the coupon after the fact? It's a mystery...

Overall, though, seeing film music treated this grandly makes my heart go pitty-pat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:19 pm 

Count me out as well. Aisde from the unecessary repeated stuff, it's just too expensive. To put it in perspective, at my current pay, even if I got a bicycle and roide everywhere, and ate NOTHING AT ALL, it would still take me like five years to save up the cash.

It seems each box is just getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger. All because FSM sold two or three out, this box fad has taken over. The "blue box", the rosza box", the "X box", the upcoming Jarre box -- way too many boxes!

You'd think with all important stuff on it, Elfman would look way more happier than he does in the video. And Burton seems to be wondering just what the heck he's doing still holding a box that doesn't have his name in big neon gothic flashing letters for so long -- in fact at one point he litterally looks like he just wants to put it down and go have lunch.

$499 + TAX & SHIPPING? A night with Bridget Fonda-Elfman better come with that!!!

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:56 pm 

An Instant buy...hell put me up for two :mrgreen:

(I´ll get both Bridget and Jane :twisted: )

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:30 pm 

I'll pass for three reasons:

The box is too big, it would not fit in my shelves
They have not used the original films artwork for the covers
The extra tracks are out of order

But wait, I think there was something else.... ah yes: too expensive :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:46 am 

Location: Right underneath that cloud that looks like a rabbit... no, wait, it looks more like a cow now...
This is one hell of a beautiful set. The artwork is gorgeous; ingenious idea to have Burton illustrations there instead of original movie artwork. It's definitely a set I'd pick up if it weren't so darn pricey. Even though money is tight, I'd go for it, for say $200.-, or even maybe §250... perhaps one could squeeze a teensy-weensy bit more out of me...
But at $500.-, sheesh.... that's just too heavy for my wallet right now. Pity. But I can understand why this must have been expensive, and that's why there are only 1000 copies even though it's Elfman/Burton, since only a happy few will have that extra spare cash hiding as small change in the couch-cushions.
We need a new car, a new apartment (so maybe a new kitchen, new bedroom).... I just cannot possibly justify spending $500.- on such a set on music, a lot of which I already own anyway. But darn, this is a lavishly produced box set, and if I had Bill Gates-like funds... Hats off to whoever pulled that one off.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:44 am 

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next