[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - List of high definition soundtrack discs

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: List of high definition soundtrack discs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:54 am 

A whole bunch of Silva stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:56 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:08 am 

I'm now the fortunate owner of a SACD player and I managed to get some major titles (E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Titanic, The Legend of Zorro, A Beautiful Mind, Timeline, The Great Train Robbery)

Does anyone have ever listened to Perseverance SACD edition of in 5.1 ? I'm very curious because it's a rare example of a soundtracks label remixing an old score in surround and high definition (The Great Train Robbery by Varèse being the only other one that comes to my mind).

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm 

Thanks to Anakin and Darthcubby for the time and effort in posting the lists and info. Very much appreciated here.
I've owned an SACD player for about six years now, and I just purchased a Blue-Ray player at the Costco store in Santa Rosa, for $159.99. I could have gotten one cheaper, but the deal-breaker was that it had the SACD logo on the box, along with 12 other audio, video, and computer formats. I haven't even opened the box yet, so if you want to know more, you might wish to look it up at Sony's website. The Model # is BDP-BX57. Beats the heck out of Oppo's pricey $499. Would rather spend the money on film scores. Thanks again guys.

--Rich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:23 am 

Please tell us how the SACD playing is with this player. I also chose a Sony player (BDP570) primarily for playing 3D Blu-Rays (and no regret, it's awesome for that), but I'm a bit disappointed with the SACD playing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:26 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:38 am 

Never got on the SACD train, but DVD-A......mmmmm....I'll buy ANYTHING, and have,
that I can get my paws on in this format, it's the best sound I've ever heard.
I just picked up two awesome Mike Oldfield deluxe editions HERGEST RIDGE / OMMADAWN
and while the DVD remixes are 5.1 and are total ear candy, there are still some changes
to the old mixes....which is fine, since those are included too!! Woo hoo!!

I'm at work, wish I could get on about this more, thanks VERY much for listing some of
the DVD-A's at the front of this post that I didn't know about, and I can add one more.

There is a (literally) MONSTER dvd-a by BT - the 5.1 remix is amazing, and the score
runs for 2 hours (!!!!). It's all ambient bliss, no orchestra, but a fascinating listen, and
there is a second disc with extras and a standard cd of the album if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:56 am 

Last edited by Anakin McFly on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:49 am 

That's terrible, maybe you should contact the manufacturer.

SACDs sound fantastic. So good, in fact, that my copy of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue freaked my cat out. She was looking around for these jazz musicians that she could hear clear as day, but she couldn't smell or see them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:21 pm 

I contacted Sony, they're sorry the player doesn't bring me satisfaction, without really conceding that the model is defective. The thing is that millions of consumers are using the player to play blu-rays, not SACDs. People already have mp3 and a shiny iphone dock for their music ! :o

By the way, I've just found a copy of Serenada Schizophrana (Danny Elfman) on SACD for 7 bucks, and I'm impatient to discover Elfman's fascinating symphony in 5 channels and HD sound.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 am 

I bought an OPPO BDP-93 two weeks ago (company profitsharing check) for several reasons. My former Blu-ray player was a Samsung and they're kind of stingy with the firmware updates, which might sometimes mean a wait of weeks before I can play a new disc. I also wanted to consolidate my system, and having separate players for Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-Audio discs was just taking up a lot of space and power (I kept the five disc changer, though); I had recently bought a new amp which meant I no longer had to utilize the component analog connections for the high definition audio formats.

I can confirm that it works beautifully. It's one of the fastest Blu-ray players I've seen this side of a PlayStation 3, the picture quality is outstanding (in 2D). It also plays PAL discs, so my Tribute To Basil Poledouris can now be viewed without transcoding to NTSC. It also links to my Netflix account, so I can view streaming content through it (some in HD, though only in stereo). Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's a piece of quality work.

Serenada Schizophrana is great fun in 5.1.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:41 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:52 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:18 pm 

My Pioneer amplifier has HDMI 1.4 inputs and output, so I have never been deprived of the DTS-HD or Dolby True HD audio when watching a 3D movie. And I'm a big fan of 3D, my love for Robert Zemeckis & James Cameron's movies has to do with it... ^^

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next