[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Varese CD Club September 2010

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Varese CD Club September 2010
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 am 

Location: Lynchburg, VA, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way, If you can't find me by now you are hopelessly lost
A Gathering of Eagles
http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. ... -0910-1110

The Formula
http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. ... -0910-1112

The Snake Pit/The Three Faces of Eve
http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. ... -0910-1111

Filmucite 2
http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. ... -0910-1113

Nightflyers
http://www.varesesarabande.com/details. ... -0910-1114

Post subject: Re: Varese CD Club September 2010
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:52 am 

The Formula is mine ! :twisted: I just love this Conti theme... I had the LP transfer on my computer but I'm glad I can throw it away !
The Joel McNeely Concert is also a very special release since there are so few film music concerts released on CD and even less on DVD !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:51 am 

As usual nothing of interest to me, but it is fun clicking that Club Releases button & seeing what comes up. Right now I'm enjoying The Deep & One-Eyed Jacks, so I'm not desperate to buy something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:06 am 

I ordered Gathering of Eagles because yes 8) and Flightflyers it's simply a pleasant surprise to me, I love the audio clips :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:59 am 

After reading the Varese news section last week and seeing the namedrops for Goonies, The Right Stuff, and Spartacus, one would expect "bigger" titles.

Luckily, they aren't and I can save money, as I'm expecting something interesting to come from Intrada's next release. I'm also expecting Poltergeist sometime soon from FSM.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:48 am 

I ordered myself a copy of both Doug Timm's NIGHTFLYERS and Conti's THE FORMULA.

NIGHTFLYERS is one of my favourite old Varese LP's so it was fun to see it finally getting a CD release, and what a lovely artwork.

Never heard of the movie THE FORMULA, but I checked the trailer on IMDB and I think I'll order my self a copy of the movie as well.
Richard Lynch as a nazi, you can't beat that as a villain.

Can't stand Marlon Brando tho. :mrgreen:

Sante Maria Romitelli's GOD'S GUN (1976) MGM/Cannon
Trevor Jones' FREEJACK (1992) Morgan Creek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:41 am 

Wow, was a little disappointed, but happy in another way. I ordered A Gathering Of Eagles, since you can never go wrong with Goldsmith and I am a completest when it comes to him, but the rest are up for other people to enjoy. Money saved for Intrada's releases next week and Greystoke tomorrow!

Thank you Colosseum for posting the releases well in advance (12 hours), so I did not have to wake up at 3 AM to place an order!

I wish pre-announcements would happen more often!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:20 pm 

Well, I just don't know what to say except thank you Varese...you have just saved me another $100 :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm 

I can't believe there is so little respect for Goldsmith's "Gathering of Eagles". I watched the film last night and the score is nothing short of superb, and this is on a first listen, along with the clips from Varese.

Thank you, Varese, a stunning title.

Doug: I understand you love this score?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 pm 

I'm sticking with the hampsters and waiting to see what those rascals have up their sleeves in a few days. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:48 pm 

There have been so many huge titles released in the last year or so, that it is easy to start to expect a "grail" release or two with every major announcement. I admit that my first reaction to this latest Varese announcement was disappointment. Not only was there no title announced that has been on my wish list, these titles also generally weren't even from films that were overly familiar to me.

Once I got over that initial reaction, though, I took a closer look at the titles and found them to be a pretty intriguing batch. Even though these aren't well-known releases from ultra-popular movies, there were scores here from Jerry Goldsmith, Bill Conti, and Alfred Newman. I certainly feel that scores from any of those three composers are very much worth paying attention to and the samples for each piqued my interest enough that I ended up ordering all 3. I decided to skip "Nightflyers" as it isn't really my cup of tea, but I think it is great the music is available for those who do find it to be to their taste.

Finally, the concert CD/DVD set is actually rather exciting. Even with familiar music, live orchestral performances definitely have a different flavor and personality to them than studio recordings do. Live recordings of film music concerts are not at all common. While I'm sure there are others out there, from memory the only other one I can think of in my collection is Alan Silvestri's "Música De Cine 2", a CD that I really enjoy listening to fairly often in spite of the fact that I have the original recordings of pretty much all the music. The fact that the "Fimucite 2" release includes a DVD of the concert as well is particularly exciting and I really look forward to watching it. Living in L.A., I do probably get more opportunities than most to see film music in concert (including seeing John Williams conduct pretty much every year), but I can easily see this DVD as being a huge treat to those that don't ever get the chance to see live performances of this kind of music. I really commend Varese for doing this one.

-Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:53 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:24 am 

LONELY ARE THE BRAVE had been a holy grail for me which I had never expected to get.

But once Varese announced it, I predicted to a couple of friends that if the elements still existed, Townson would follow with FREUD (for that first Goldsmith Oscar nomination), then THE SPIRAL ROAD and A GATHERING OF EAGLES -- to make us all wait the longest for LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER.

Since I've been right so far, let's see what Christmas brings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 am 

I'm happy for everyone who found something they've wanted with those five new releases. Just as I'm happy that I can give my wallet a reprieve (after two $105 and $215 orders lately, that was more than necessary!).

CK :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next