[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Top 10 Horner scores that deserve a complete release

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Top 10 Horner scores that deserve a complete release
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:35 pm 

Curious what you people think :) It would be nice to be able to know if there are some chances for any of the scores most in demand to be released or there are some obstacles (eg missing tapes for VOLUNTEERS, licence not available or Horner against releasing any of his older scores).

There is obviously too much to chose from as there is a lot of his music still awaiting definitive or first releases they in most cases deserve.

1. Premiere releases:

In Country*
Wolfen*
Deadly Blessing*
Volunteers*
My Heroes have always been cowboys*
Heaven help us*
Rascals and Robbers: The Secret Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn*
Uncommon Valor
Testament
I Love you to Death

2. Re-editions with chronological and if possible complete presentation:

Apollo 13*
The Rocketeer
Vibes*
Swing Kids*
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Battle Beyond the Stars
Brainstorm
Name of the Rose
Gorky Park

If I had to pick just 10 scores from both categories, those marked with * would probably end on the top of my list at this moment.

Anyway, checking IMDB it seems there is a lot of his early works owned by Warner Bros. so there might be chance to see them released by FSM if Star Treks won't be the only Horner's scores they are after but it would be great to know if there is any chance Intrada will continue with their fantastic series of releases of James Horner's music and we may expect at least one Horner CD coming from Intrada before this year ends... :-)

Post subject: Re: Top 10 Horner scores that deserve a complete release
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 pm 

With regards to VOLUNTEERS...it may not be that the masters are missing, but the licensor is missing. I've checked with Sony, Disney, HBO and Granada, but none claim any ownership. If I could find the licensor, it might unlock the mystery of the elements. I'm not entirely convinced they're not at HBO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:59 pm 

There are clearly issues with "Avatar", since that download-only deluxe edition featured only the demos assembled by Simon Franglen - Horner's electronic music arranger on the film. It must have been a re-use fee issue, since the way the score was recorded meant that the electronic orchestra created for the demos/temp score was simply replaced by the live musicians for the final scoring, keeping the electronic effects in place.

It's also interesting that the selections chosen weren't even the real highlights of the unreleased music (Pandora being the exception - I love that cue, even if the brass is synth) and were mostly non-orchestral cues to begin with. The one exception to that being the "Death of Quaritch" cue.

The original album just doesn't do this score justice at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:03 pm 

No love for 48 hrs or Another 48hrs???

I´m a dirt merchant and a figure of your imagination

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:01 pm 

Just off the top of my head...

48 Hours/Another 48 Hours :wink:
Apollo 13 (if not expanded, at least, without the dialogue clips)
Heaven Help Us
Wolfen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm 

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:50 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:22 am 

Lumping expanded/complete/never-before's into one list:

1. "Willow"
2. "Titanic" (so sue me -- I can live with 4CDs)
3. "The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper"
4. "Apollo 13" (not one of my favorites, but I esily recognize it is a fan faorite, and that dialogue is an evil thing added to score CDs)
5. "Battle Beyond the Stars" (which may actually happen this year...)
6. "Young Guns" (rejected score)
7. "A Few Days AT Weasel Creek"
8. "The Journey of Natty Gann" (the unreleased score -- a gem like this shouldn't have been short changed; maybe pair it with the unreleased score from "Something Wicked This Way Comes, too)
9. "Fish Police" (pilot to an animated series, which -- by the way -- Steve Bramson took over scoring...)
10. "Streets of Fire" (rejected score)

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:46 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 pm 

I wasn't speaking of that, which I have.

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:52 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:56 pm 

"the unreleased score -- a gem like this shouldn't have been short changed"

I mean ALL the score. The boot has some not on the Intrada, and I'll bet comparing both to the film will show the film has more, too.

And I of all people am always specific about rejected scores. ;-)

THE PRISONER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:10 pm 

With regard to "Natty Gann", both the rejected Bernstein and Horner's score have had extensive CD releases over the last year or so (Horner on our very own Intrada, and the Bernstein on Varese CD Club). The same is true for "Something Wicked", since Horner's score received Intrada's typically lavish treatment in '09, and the unused Delerue has long been available on the composer's own re-recording released by Varese.

I think it's fair to say that both these films' scores are out there in their complete form.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:19 pm 

Ah, no.

THE PRISONER

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next