[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces BLACK WIDOW/GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces BLACK WIDOW/GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:14 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

BLACK WIDOW/GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE!
Composed by LEIGH HARLINE

INTRADA Special Collection Volume 105

The latest 20th Century Fox Double header features two scores from the '50s. Good Morning, Miss Dove (1955) is an uplifting tale about a woman, Miss Dove (Jennifer Jones), who lies hospitalized by a potentially lethal tumor. While there, she and the people whose lives she’s enhanced reflect on the past, illustrating the influence of her guiding spirit on a rejected girl, an abused boy, an unwed mother, a Jewish immigrant, a jailbird—even on a town father she single-handedly saves from a potentially catastrophic bank run. Along the way, Leigh Harline’s score, conducted by Lionel Newman, serves as guide, signaling transitions from present to past and back again in ways both efficient and, quite simply, beautiful. Sometimes, it is the insistent ping of Miss Dove’s desktop bell that lets us know we’re on the story-telling move; at other points, the interpolation of a wistful tune from a long-lost romantic era, interwoven with the soaring, warm, yet profoundly dignified theme that opens the film and recurs throughout. This theme once again puts the flexibility of Harline’s music on lustrous display; reverent and spiritual in its first incarnation, it goes on to appear in strikingly different forms.

Black Widow (1954) features what one would expect from this genre — the predatory female, the innocent man accused of a crime. An ambitious young writer, Nancy Ordway (Peggy Ann Garner), connives her way up the ladder of the Broadway establishment. Her affairs, lies, and schemes ultimately get her nastily done in; the movie then turns into a whodunit, with the wrongly accused man (Van Heflin) doing most of the legwork to uncover the real killer. Harline crafted a score at once alluring and sinister, the perfect accompaniment to this tale of ambition, seduction, and murder set against the backdrop of the New York theater. Harline’s score is a rich stew of the lushly beautiful and the profoundly disturbing. Although it has moments of pure noir instability, this is music in which glamour is the predominant note --an edgy glamour of thoroughbred sophistication: an Alfred Newman kind of glamour. Not surprisingly, Alfred Newman also conducted the score.

Both scores were restored and assembled from the original stereo elements by Nick Redman and Mike Matessino.

This release is limited to 1000 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 105
Retail Price: 19.99
AVAILABLE NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6293/.f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:26 pm 

Sounds better than THE GIRL IN THE RED VELVET SWING/THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE, which I was a tad disappointed with. Harline seems to hit some winners and some grubbers, the Fred Steiner didn't work for me, but who knows what'll happen in time. I do like the Intrada productions though, thanks for you efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:23 pm 

I love that "pulp paperback" cover of BLACK WIDOW!

And the samples of MISS DOVE are really, really pretty!

"Ask [the director] where the camera comes from and I'll tell him where the music comes from" (David Raksin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:02 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 pm 

Post subject: Good Morning, Miss Dove and my father
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:08 pm 

Good Morning, Miss Dove was shown on Turner Classic Movies for the first time late last night, as part of a day-long Jennifer Jones marathon. It was nice to finally have a visual reference to the music that I've been playing for the past month, ever since Intrada's release. It seems that lately I've been buying a lot of soundtracks to movies that I haven't seen yet, either because I'm fond of the composer, or because I like the samples that I've heard. Since film music wouldn't exist were it not for the films themselves, it's nice to be able to experience them both together once in a while, especially when it comes to some of the more obscure titles.

Good Morning, Miss Dove was one of several movies that my father had asked me to help him find on video, but without much success, unfortunately. He passed away in late 2007, but I didn't stop looking for it. It's not officially available on home video yet, so I just recorded last night's broadcast directly onto a DVD-R. It's a sweet movie (similar in theme to It's A Wonderful Life and Goodbye, Mr. Chips), and the music is very nice, and now I will always think of my father whenever I see or hear it.

oneders63

Post subject: Re: INTRADA Announces BLACK WIDOW/GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:18 pm 

Just saw a copy of this CD with the two scores in the OoAK catalog and decided to make a blind purchase, after listening to the samples which sound great, by the way. I love golden age film scores and I have never heard anything by Harline before (except for Disney's Pinocchio).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]