Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: How the West Was Won - A Finale Still Unrivaled
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm 
We can all name dozens of scores that fit their respective films like a glove, but when I think of finales I can name no score that better amplifies the narrative than what Newman (and Darby) did for the depiction of the modernization of the West.

Post subject: Re: How the West Was Won - A Finale Still Unrivaled
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:53 pm 

As a fan whose favorite Newman is Alfred, I quickly think of three of his finales that affect me as the HOW THE WEST WAS WON finale strikes you, TNF:

1) the immeasurably grand "Conquest" march (which often distracts viewers from the fact that CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE doesn't have an ending);

2) the incredible expression of redemption and renewal conveyed by DAVID AND BATHSHEBA's glorious "Twenty-Third Psalm" end title; and

3) the piercing power of the rising Darby-guided chorus and Newman-led orchestra, again, in the "Home in the Meadow" climax to the HTWWW exit music. (It's not just the story, or the thought of the multiple generations of characters who are long gone by the ending, but the movie's entire Cinerama experience that is capped here so magnificently.)

I don't listen to any of those unless my wife is out of the house, so I can crank them up as they deserve!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]