Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NIGHTWING... What's up?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:29 pm 

Did I miss something or is the spectacular finale - a Mancini career highlight - missing from the new NIGHTWING CD? I was pumped to hear that incredible moment when the bats burst into flames and Mancini plunges into the fray with his ever-swirling strings over powerful trombone chords and... wham! Instead, my album skipped from a prior scene over to the end title. And no mention of this missing climax anywhere. I'm always happy to get a new Mancini soundtrack but this one sure has me feeling depressed.
--Doug

Post subject: Re: NIGHTWING... What's up?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:49 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:
Did I miss something or is the spectacular finale - a Mancini career highlight - missing from the new NIGHTWING CD? I was pumped to hear that incredible moment when the bats burst into flames and Mancini plunges into the fray with his ever-swirling strings over powerful trombone chords and... wham! Instead, my album skipped from a prior scene over to the end title. And no mention of this missing climax anywhere. I'm always happy to get a new Mancini soundtrack but this one sure has me feeling depressed.
--Doug

Doug- Take your prozac, and call me in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:
--Doug

Oh no....please tell me your wrong on this one, I can't watch this film a second time!!!!!! Please!!!!! It's why we buy these records!!!!!

I love this album, but have only the vaguest memory of more action music in the battle in the bat cave scene. Were the tapes damaged and edited? I thought those Lifeforce-y strings and brass were there, maybe the mix is just SO different from film to album (?????)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:05 am 
RM Eastman wrote:
Douglass Fake wrote:
--Doug

Doug- Take your prozac, and call me in the morning.

Nah, Doug doesn't strike me as being part of the Prozac Nation. He's the real deal, a truth-seeker who loves film music. No need to call. He's probably in bliss listening to HANOVER STREET.

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:56 pm 

Okay, so he's slept on the matter, awoken to give it another spin and find out it was all just a dream... but no... arrgghhh...
--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:59 pm 

You'll be hard-pressed to find me ever making small of other labels. I respect and admire any fellow soldier in the trenches. But this one kind of sticks out to me. Perhaps they could've put at least a tiny weenie little disclaimer or something in the notes?
--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:22 pm 

It's been years since I've seen the film, so basically track 19 - Battle in the Cave, ends right before the scene where the bats are destroyed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:37 pm 

After hearing about this, I took my laserdisc out and queued up this scene. In the movie, the music for this scene runs nearly uninterrupted for over 7 minutes. On the album, this cue runs less than 5 minutes, 20 seconds.

The music on the album basically builds up to Duran closing the circle and lighting the fire in the cave that destroys the bats. But there is music after that plays while the bats are burning and everyone is escaping the cave.

There must have been some kind of second pick-up session and that music was not a part of what Sony had archived.

It would have been nice to see this addressed in the notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:05 pm 

I don't know the movie at all, so I could not notice, but I love the score.
Robert Townson will surely answer you, Doug; could you please let us know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:04 am 

Yes, we'd better let Doug breach this subject with Mr. Townson. (I'm kind of remembering the stoney non-response about the issue of the missing dulcimer in Mancini's main title for THE THORNBIRDS--Varese has never been real big on disclaimers in notes, about source material, mono vs. stereo, or whatever.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 pm 

Douglass Fake wrote:
You'll be hard-pressed to find me ever making small of other labels. I respect and admire any fellow soldier in the trenches. But this one kind of sticks out to me. Perhaps they could've put at least a tiny weenie little disclaimer or something in the notes?
--Doug

It's not the first time Varèse would be uninformative about a problem on their products. Their lack of communication is an obvious flaw in their general policy. I still remember the glitch in the Matrix... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:46 pm 

Olivier wrote:
I don't know the movie at all, so I could not notice, but I love the score.
Robert Townson will surely answer you, Doug; could you please let us know?

Thanks but I assure you Mr. Townson won't say anything to me about it. It's a frustrating omission but whether an explanation emerges is anybody's guess. However, it hurts the listening experience for me. I was looking forward to hearing those cool trombones and horns without all the screeching bat sounds!
--Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm 

Yes - Varese issues wonderful "finds" - but, alas, normally gives no details about sources or even (usually) whether it is stereo or mono or "complete" status. Intrada and FSM are true champions about giving details of condition and source of archival material. Those of us who truly love this music appreciate what we can get...but "the more info, the better!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am 

And of course, if anyone DARES bitch about it, we should just shut up and be grateful it happened at all. I mean, how DARE anyone have an issue? Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:09 am 

Be carefull Mr Townson will have another reason to hate filmscore board posters, because we know nothing about filmmusic.

I am of course being scarcastic, I know thats spelled wrong but you get the gist.

Jerry Goldsmith, Joel Goldsmith, John Williams, Elmer Bernstein,Michael Giacchino,Scott Glasgow,Alan Silvestri, Bernard Herrmann, Christopher Young, Bruce Broughton,Ennio Morricone and a host of others.