[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - Alan Williams - recommendations?

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alan Williams - recommendations?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:01 pm 

Post subject: Re: Alan Williams - recommendations?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:26 pm 

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance...that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
Herbert Spencer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:29 am 

I have several scores from him (a certain number of these promos are indeed released as CD-Rs, but I don't think this affects the sound), and like what he does.
The problem is he is obviously asked to stick to the temp track when scoring documentaries, but I still enjoy the music.

Island of the Sharks
My first one from him. Temped with Goldsmith's Medicine Man.
Very nice and highly enjoyable; the temp rip-off is so assumed, and the music so refreshing I enjoy it as an expansion of Goldsmith's score. It is not as "ethnically" marked, though; it's a "quieter" version, quite soothing.

In Search of Lewis and Clark
Again a very agreeable score; guitars.

Amazon & Kilimanjaro
I would need to play them, I can't remember-- only that Kilimanjaro's inspiration is recognizable.

Lion of the Americas
I don't remember identifying any temp track, but I can't know everything, or sometimes you don't spot it right away. Good one, anyway.

Santa and Pete
A very nice Christmas score, hinged around the same traditional song as Broughton's Miracle on 34th Street-- once again, I just can't remember the name of the song; "Joy to the World", I believe.

Tiny Heroes
I haven't played it in a while, not because it's not good, but because there have been so many new things to listen to, which keep stacking up. A nice little score is what I remember.

Television Suites
Same as above. A pleasant, mostly "quiet" disc-- all drama, no action.

Land of Vikings
One of those more recent acquisitions, but I haven't had time to play it much either.

In short, I'd say Alan Williams write very pleasant music; since most of what I have by him is for documentaries, I haven't heard any action (well, possibly in the animated "Tiny Heroes", but I haven't played it for some time and can't remember exactly, but if there is action, I don't think it's of the rougher kind) anything really "harsh"; the television suites are from dramas, and as far as I remember, not of the darker, terribly anguished kind, so that it's always pretty smooth sailing. His CDs are good for quiet moments when you need a rest from heavier stuff.
This doesn't mean he couldn't handle anything else; it's just what I have been able to sample so far.
My favorite ones: Island of the Sharks, In Search of Lewis and Clark, Santa and Pete (played during the Christmas holidays only), Lion of the Americas, and Television Suites.
Sorry for the vagueness of the descriptions & comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 am 

Hey, thanks for the recommendations guys!

Definetely looking into getting a few; interested in "The Princess and the Pea".

It's good to see Williams getting a lot of diverse films to score opposed to being typcast like many in hollywood. I suppose alot of the films aren't great, but hey, at least they afford the opportunity to write something thematic.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 pm 

I forgot to mention

Crab Orchard
Americana score-- gutar, ...
My favorite of his, actually, with Island of the Sharks second..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:32 am 

I have heard most of his releases at least once and...

KILIMANJARO is very impressing work for large orchestra, percussions and choir sometimes echoing James Horner's Legends of the Fall and also slow pieces from Conan the Barbarian... Probably my nr. 1 from his discography...

AMAZON - orchestra, choir, percussion - crossroad between medicine man, Waterworld and probably also a bit of James Horner too .... did not heard this score for some time...

ISLAND OF THE SHARKS - echoing Medicine Man? well a little, much better in the wein of John Barry or action stuff from Lost World by JW. Excellent score!

PRINCESS AND THE PEA - large orchestra, plenty of wonderful themes and a couple of really nice songs - in the similar style as Anastasia - but would say that the songs are in the same league or even a bit better... also the score is really good...

The other scores I liked are Land of the Vikings - decent score influenced by the etnic instruments of Northern countries as Island; Mountain Lion - similar to his scores above in terms of themes and orchestration; and.... Santa and Pete is also quite good score...

Probably the best thing to start is his SKETCHES promo compilation which unfortunatelly does not contain his is music from Princess and the Pea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:49 am 
[quote="Lokutus"]
KILIMANJARO is very impressing work for large orchestra, percussions and choir sometimes echoing James Horner's Legends of the Fall and also slow pieces from Conan the Barbarian... Probably my nr. 1 from his discography...

AMAZON - orchestra, choir, percussion - crossroad between medicine man, Waterworld and probably also a bit of James Horner too .... did not heard this score for some time...

ISLAND OF THE SHARKS - echoing Medicine Man? well a little, much better in the wein of John Barry or action stuff from Lost World by JW. Excellent score!

quote]

KILIMANJARO is a good one. I heard MEDICINE MAN in AMAZON and used to listen to it as an extension (a good one) of that Goldsmith score. SHARKS did resonate of Barry for me. Sounds like I am going to have to buy PRINCESS AND THE PEA. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:38 am 

On his official website, there's two really cool video clips from the scoring sesssion of "Princess and the Pea":

http://www.alanwilliams.com/video%20clips.htm

Pretty neat. I wonder where the score was recorded/what orchestra?

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:37 am 

Should I be a Patriot? Ok, I will :)

The Princess and the Pea score was recorded by Czech Philharmonic Orchestra in Prague, Rudolfinum

Post subject: TAYLOR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:48 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:13 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]