[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Intrada Soundtrack Forum • View topic - INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL

Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: INTRADA Announces Jerry Goldsmith's THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:14 pm 

INTRADA Announces:

THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL

Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
National Philharmonic Orchestra
INTRADA Special Collection Volume 75

Special 2-CD Set Features Entire Score Completely Re-mixed and Re-mastered.

The Boys from Brazil (1978) was the fourth of seven films Jerry Goldsmith composed for Franklin Schaffner, a relationship that resulted in some of Goldsmith's finest and most famous work including Patton, Planet of the Ape and Islands in the Stream. Goldsmith responded with global action and excitement for this outing. In spite of its title and location in Brazil, Goldsmith chose to eschew a Latin American flavor to the score, and at Schaffner's urging "thought waltzes." Goldsmith explained: “If it sounds like Wagner and Strauss, that’s because it’s supposed to—a very deliberate attempt to emulate them. It’s all done through waltzes. There’s a big difference between a German waltz and a Viennese waltz, and here the heavies are always accompanied by this heavy 3/4 ostinato. Even so...I still try to keep my own identity." The resultant score is a dark, powerful work that not only twists and turns these waltzes, but is also filled with soaring melody; rhythmic, adrenaline packed action music; and even a sweet-melodied song.

The Boys from Brazil was a novel by Ira Levin, imagining the possible consequences of cloning experiments by the infamous German concentration-camp doctor Josef Mengele and their discovery by famous Nazi hunter Yakov Liebermann. The “boys from Brazil” are clones of Adolf Hitler created by Mengele and strategically placed in dozens of families across Europe and North America. Laurence Olivier plays the sympathetic Jewish protagonist. Gregory Peck, in a rare bad-guy role, was cast as Mengele. James Mason portrays the Nazi colonel in charge of security for the operation. The film also stars Lilli Palmer, Uta Hagen, Denholm Elliott, Rosemary Harris, Anne Meara, Steve Guttenberg, and John Rubinstein.

Goldsmith received his 11th Academy Award nomination for the music to The Boys from Brazil. Goldsmith conducted 80 musicians of the National Philharmonic Orchestra at Anvil Studios in Denham, England, with the veteran Eric Tomlinson as engineer. His entire score for the film ran 55-minutes, and Intrada presents the entire score on disc one of this 2-CD set in film order, remixed and mastered from the original session elements with dramatically improved sonics over any previous release. Ferocious action cues (missing from LP) are highlights, as well as the lengthy "The Killers Arrive" featuring dynamic tuba/bass trombone "Nazi" motif -- another previously-unreleased gem!

The second CD painfully reconstructs Goldsmith's LP program for the original, 39-minute A&M Records release. The original 1978 LP was a favorite of the composer, and he personally edited score highlights into unique 3-movement suite plus one song. “It’s unusual in that the first side is just one track, 20 minutes long, and the other just three, also totaling 20 minutes. The Side One track is pieced together, of course, but it comes out very naturally; we edited it that way, rather than recorded it," reflected Goldsmith. The second CD also includes a bonus suite of alternates and source music, providing everything Goldsmith scored for the film.

For years, collector's have been asking for a complete restoration of this remarkable Jerry Goldsmith score, and some 30 years later, Intrada is able to deliver the ultimate presentation of a powerhouse score from his famous collaboration with Franklin Schaffner.

This release is limited to 5000 copies.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 75
Retail Price: $29.99
IN STOCK NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit
http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.5887/.f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:16 pm 

well hopefully the 5K means it will stick around a while. Yay for those who were pining for it. TOo rich for my blood. I'll pick up the Band though? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 pm 

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:10 pm 

It's got a ncie waltz, but other than that I never understood the attraction to this score.

THE PRISONER

Post subject:

As I posted over at FSM this is indeed one of my grail scores. I have been attempting to grab the prior cd release on ebay for years with out success. Getting Die Hard and Predator was easier than Boys From Brazil.

Thanks to Roger, Doug and the hamsters.

Gary

Post subject:

Off to bed now, so it'll just be a quick yet hearty:

congratulations & thank you for yet another major release, Intrada!

:D

(The Richard Band CD does not sound bad at all either)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:22 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:26 pm 

Ack! I hadn't heard anything of this aside from the waltz on a compilation, but this sounds terrific. I too can only hope that this will be around for a little while--long enough for me to earn up some money.

To help make this a little easier to figure out, though, may I inquire into how short you guys are getting on Monsignor and The Monster Squad? I've been wanting to grab those for a little while, but college is forcing me to be more stringent in my purchases. Oh, heck, and while you're at it, how are Judgment Night and The First Olympics doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:41 pm 

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:43 pm 

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:49 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next