Intrada Soundtrack Forum

www.intrada.com
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: August 16th Film Music Concert - Shire & Rosenman - Vermont
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:12 pm 

Hi Everyone!

Hope this finds you well. I'm not sure how many New Englanders or East Coasters are on the Intrada board, but I thought I would post something about the concert I've been working on. It's happening in two weeks up in Brattleboro, Vermont, and is focusing on music by two of my absolute favorite composers - Leonard Rosenman & David Shire. If you're in the area, I hope you'll be able to make it!

I'm very proud and pleased to also announce that none other than Mr. David Shire will be in attendance - so it's going to be a very special evening for a whole variety of reasons.

Anyway, here's the press release that's gone out tonight (modified a little bit by me for the Intrada board):

Fantastic Voyages: From Outer Space to Oz
Movie Music of David Shire and Leonard Rosenman

Date: Sunday August 16, 7 pm, Centre Congregational Church, Brattleboro
Who: The BMC Pops Orchestra, conducted by Deniz Cordell

The Brattleboro Music Center is delighted to present a chamber orchestra concert celebrating the work of several composers known for their work in film. The program, under the direction of conductor Deniz Cordell, features the music of Academy Award-winning composers David Shire and Leonard Rosenman, performed by the community based BMC Pops Orchestra. Donations from the concert will be given to the BMC Music School.

While this music is created in service of a film’s story, the best of it stands as an artistic achievement on its own. As conductor Cordell points out the film music genre teems with musical riches spanning a wide variety of idioms; as a part of our musical heritage, it stands alongside the Musical Comedy as an uniquely American musical art form.

Leonard Rosenman and David Shire are two of the most distinctive voices in the world of dramatic music. Rosenman threw Hollywood into the twentieth century with his daring scores for "East of Eden" and "The Cobweb," while Shire’s scores are wonders of musical architecture and approach: from his multi-thematic opus "Return to Oz," to the intimate blues-meets-impressionism of "The Conversation." Stephen Sondheim said “David Shire is a protean composer. He can do anything – film, theater, concert music – and usually better than anyone else of his generation. He makes me envious.” Of the diversity in this program, conductor Cordell says, “There's truly something for everyone in the program - from disco to Americana to serialism. Leonard and David are two of my musical heroes, so to be able to do this concert, and to have David here with us, it's simultaneously daunting and exhilarating.”

Notes David Shire: "[Cordell] has put so much care and enthusiasm into preparing a large and varied selection of pieces from my body of work, and I can't wait to hear the result and and minimally participate in the presentation. Successful film and theatre composers have to, of necessity, be able to write music that supports and enhances a great variety of emotions and dramatic situations, and the program Deniz has fashioned demonstrates that capacity very well. I hope you enjoy the concert as much as I know I will."

Much of the music in this program has never been performed in a concert setting and has been newly prepared and re-orchestrated for the chamber orchestra. As a colleague and friend of the two featured composers, Cordell has had access to the composer’s original sketches and scores for the purposes of restoration and orchestration.

Additional composers represented include three-time Tony Award-winner Charles Strouse (Annie, Bye Bye Birdie, Bonnie & Clyde), and Georges Delerue (A Little Romance, Agnes of God, and many Francois Truffaut films).

Cordell first began advocating for performance and preservation of film music in his undergraduate days at Brandeis University. In 2009 he assistant-conducted the NYU Symphony Orchestra in a concert of music by Leonard Rosenman.

The BMC Pops Orchestra features seasoned professionals and local music students alike. The goal has been to create an ensemble that reflects the wealth and diversity of musical talent in our community and region. Members of last year’s youth pit band for NEYT’s Sound of Music production are involved as are members of the Windham Orchestra, BMC Faculty, Keene Chamber Orchestra, Brattleboro Union High School Music Honors Program, local music teachers, and visiting guest artists.

The audience is invited to a reception after the concert to meet and chat with both performers and composers.

Tickets available at the door: Admission is free, but there is a suggested donation of $5. For information call the Brattleboro Music Center at 802-257-4523

-----

Anyway, that's more than enough from me - but if any of you have any questions about the concert, let me know. Many thanks if you've made it this far - and I'm really hoping to see a couple of faces from the board there!

Post subject: Re: August 16th Film Music Concert - Shire & Rosenman - Verm
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:30 pm 

I extend praise to Maestro Cordell for his incredible musicianship. What a fabulous champion of Rosenman and Shire (and many others) he is! Our many correspondences over the years have taught me much. This concert sounds exciting. Congratulations, Deniz!
--Doug

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]